Poll: Is your collection worth more, the same, or less than what's in a published price guide? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Poll: Is your collection worth more, the same, or less than what's in a published price guide?

You can pick your favorite guide. I think in general the guides are too high (ie full retail) but then there are coins that are especially rare or nice where one needs to throw the guide out the window. Do you think you have more of the former, or more of the latter, or does it even out?

I have plenty of coins that are worth a fraction (1/10th in one case) of the pcgs guide and plenty that are worth more (maybe 50x or more in a couple cases. I've even paid over 25x guide before).

p.s. First attempt at a poll here and I already see some bugs in the code. Not sure if this will come out ok.

Poll: Is your collection worth more, the same, or less than what a published price guide
  1. Trying to be objective, Is your collection worth more, the same, or less than published price guides9 votes
    1. more
      44.44%
    2. about the same
      22.22%
    3. less
      33.33%

Comments

• You should specify if you are asking about retail or wholesale price guides. If it's wholesale, my collection is worth more. If it's retail, like the monthly "Coin World" numbers, it's less.

I was underwater with my U.S. gold coin collection until the recent run ups. It remains to be seen if they will hold.
  • edited March 2022
    I believe my collection is worth more than my “favorite guides” (which is the question being asked in the OP).

My favorite price guides are the PCGS Price Guide and the CAC Price Report.

1. In my opinion, I believe the eye appeal of my coins is well above average, and while the price guides represent problem-free coins, I believe they average out coins of positive, average, and negative eye appeal.

2. The PCGS Price Guide takes into account data for coins that are both non CAC and CAC. My collection is 100% CAC for coins eligible for a CAC. Of those coins, roughly half also merit a plus. While this guide has values for pluses, I believe coins with pluses that also have CAC’s are worth more than this guides plus values (even though the CAC sticker only represents that the coin is solid only for the whole grade number, not necessarily solid for that plus grade).

3. The CAC Price Report only shows values for CAC coins with whole grade numbers only. As noted above, roughly half of my CAC coins also have pluses, hence I believe my collection is worth more than the values shown in this guide.

• edited March 2022
    Funny you should ask. I have no freaking idea what my collection is “worth’, other than the classic whatever someone will pay for it. Here are some confusing data points.
    Bought my first 11-D in ngc 66 no cac last year for 4075 from a fairly experienced eBay seller. Seems to have a lot of nice coins. That number is suspiciously low, maybe. The Pcgs price guide for the coin in 66 is 8500, yet recently when I crossed an ngc 66 over to pcgs the “insurance premium” was based on 1% of 6000 for the 66 and 4000 on the 65(which Ia 5500 in the Pcgs guide). Along the way I bought an ngc 65 cac on eBay for 4300, and I bought an ANACS 11-d in ms65 for 3700 and both of the, crossed it to pcgs 65 as well. I bought yet another lovely PcGS ms65 CAC on GC last month for about 4500. Worst of all the Ngc 66+ CAC that I got on
    GC late last year for , gulps, 10k didn’t cross over to pcgs 66+.
    So now I’ve got 5 of them total, Pcgs 65 (ex ANACS), pcgs 65 CAC, Pcgs 65 (ex ngc 65 cac) which I think is cac acceptable upon providing the proper documentation, and the 66, (ex ngc) , and the ngc66+ CAC, plus 4 64’s that got their CAC’ beAN under the Pcgs banner Land and 4 64’s that haven’t qualified under the ngc banner. Plus I picked up an 11-d in ms 65 for 350o recently.
    Meanwhile, as the world turns i started talking with a guy out there who has an 11-d\d in pcgs 65+ who was asking 6900 a few months ago before getting his bean and I turned it down and bought an 11-d\d in pcgs 66 from heritage (I’ll show you) which cac rejected.
    I think I’ve used up my allowance for the day with this story but I hope it has been entertaining!
    OH AND BEST OF ALL, THE CAC GUIDE VALUES ARE ALL LOWER THAN THE PCGS GUIDE VALUES! (Not sure about the 11-d/d variety)

Current eBay offers for an 11=-D in ms65 CAC ; 9995, 8650, 6999 , snd 4650. For no cac there’s a few around mid 4000’s. There’d more agreement in the non-CAC market!
    In ms66 it’s 4800, 7000 and 8000 (no CAC offerred at the moment
    There’s a 65+ at 4900 and 65 at 4500 but none of these is an auction outcome) if you watch mbarrcoins high end coins he puts out offers all the time. That’s where I picked up my ANACS 11-d in 65. He has a lot of high priced stuff that’s he dangles in addition to the numismatic aewer which he floods ebay coin market with .
  • Many of my pieces are PQ especially my CAC inventory.

Higher end coins may have nice luster, super toning, strike, fewer defects for grade bringing more and of course requiring higher bidding in acquisition process.