Great Collections get ANA’s 3 year contract so... — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Great Collections get ANA’s 3 year contract so...

I see that ANA has given their 3 year auction contract to relative upstart GreatCollections who has certainly made its mark in the numismatic auction market in the past few years. Squeezing out StacksBowers, Kagin, etc. as official ANA auctioneers.

There are at least three sides to the question of ANA convention auctions. First, Will GC be able to have an auction ON SITE during the convention or will it be limited to lot viewing? This of course is subject to covid and state/ local laws.

The other two sides are up for debate. Some dealers and collectors say such on site auctions distract from bourse activity and sales, too often sessions directly conflicting with bourse hours ( and easily forgotten )
and divert $ from being spent on the bourse.

The other side of debate is a prominent on site auction will certainly attract more attendance to the convention - perhaps up to 50% higher attendance.

I’d guess I’m siding with the latter argument
providing all auction sessions occur after
bourse hours. Unfortunately this leads to 1-2 AM sessions UNLESS the ANA restricts auction sessions in size, which would be a first.

Another factor is can the ANA legally restrict any other auction house from conducting competing auctions during the ANA, even at a
nearby site ? Thereby diluting the strength of the ANA official auction AND causing convention attendees ( and bourse dealers ) to physically leave the ANA convention premises to both lot viewing & bid. That question is open for debate.

Comments

• I warned the ANA many years ago they were going to lose the big auctions. There was no squeeze out of players. We were all (Legend Auctions too) asked to bid and no bids were made save for GC.

The ANA made a fatal mistake allowing everyone to show lots. It remains to be seen what Stacks and Heritage will do. I'd bet (but I do not know) they will continue to hold their sales the week after and show lots at ANA. They do not have to pay any fees to do so.

Now the theory is to have an auction week during ANA. I dunno, I doubt that will happen. How can the ANA expect someone to pay a fee when GC is announced at the "official auctioneer"? And they want it during the show? Save for Legend, Stacks and Heritage quit having auctions at shows a year ago,

GC did a slick move claiming the ANA. Congrats and good luck to them.
  • I would like to see GC do a live auction at the ANA show.  It would be something different for them.
      Seems like They would have to change the format, from ending when time runs out to ending when bids stop?
  • There are many benefits for auction houses to hold an auction during the week of the ANA - those auction houses should contact Kim at the ANA and discuss it.

- Ian
  • More auctions are not good for the average retail dealer. I can't tell you how many times dealers get told-let me see what I buy in the auction. Having a week of them, won't be good-in my opinion.

I know NY International does it-but that is a truly world wide market. While the US coin market is BIG, its NOT that big!

I also think it ballsy the ANA wants to parcel out slots after someone is already the official auctioneer. Bad move. They did beg all of us to make offers earlier. Why do it now?

Seems the future of coins buying might be via auction. Even the ANA show in my opinion is on the decline (they get LESS then 10000 true visitors per show).
  • I like GC and Ian delivers an a very admirable client experience.

However as far as them being the official ANA auctioneer they are weak when it comes to offering world coins imo.......there has to be others to fill the gap.
  • Laura, would you prefer 2 mega auctions at $50 million each, or 8 different auctions that total $55 million? Which option takes the most money off the bourse floor?
  • edited March 2022
    As a client I find GC to be the most user friendly from my iPhone .  As compared to Stack Bowers , Heritage and a few others .
     I wish their imaging was better.  Often time the coins are not very clear to see. 

Congratulations to GC 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
  • Mate, $50 million sales are just as bad. BUT the ANA is seeking to expand auctions.

Top coins will not be coming from dealers in about 2-3 years. ALL auctions. Every body LOVES auctions. I started my auction company because I saw the future.
  • Legend said:
    Mate, $50 million sales are just as bad. BUT the ANA is seeking to expand auctions. Top coins will not be coming from dealers in about 2-3 years. ALL auctions. Every body LOVES auctions. I started my auction company because I saw the future.
    I will look into your auctions .  I wasn’t aware you held them .   In all fairness I’m new to all this , but I do know your reputation is second to none .  Congratulations on that achievement.  
  • Legend Auctions are top notch!  PQ!
  • WilliamJ said:
    Legend Auctions are top notch!  PQ!
    Good to know.   I’m going to be putting together an all CAC 8 coin gold type set that I’ll most surely stretch out to a 12 coin .   Have the $20’s so far .  A 1923 D ms 66+ , the first coin I ever sent to JA , and an 1857 S ms 65 CAC ss Central America.  See pic …  ( of course I have to show some of my prizes as well in foto . 🙈☺️
  • As a client I find GC to be the most user friendly from my iPhone .  As compared to Stack Bowers , Heritage and a few others .
     I wish their imaging was better.  Often time the coins are not very clear to see. 

GC's photos are brutally honest. The lighting is so bright that you can see every imperfection in the coin in great detail. I've found coins on GC that sold on HA a few years ago more or less, and the coin actually looked better in the Heritage photo. Heritage seems to have "softer" lighting. Congrats GC on the ANA deal.
  • edited March 2022
    JohnTCoin said:
    As a client I find GC to be the most user friendly from my iPhone .  As compared to Stack Bowers , Heritage and a few others .

GC's photos are brutally honest. The lighting is so bright that you can see every imperfection in the coin in great detail. I've found coins on GC that sold on HA a few years ago more or less, and the coin actually looked better in the Heritage photo. Heritage seems to have "softer" lighting. Congrats GC on the ANA deal.
     We must wear different eye wear .  🤓

Its just my thoughts on the matter as well as another well know gent here on the forum.

Only meant as a helpful suggestion.  If others are saying it also , then perhaps they’d look into it .  If we’re the only 2 saying that , then GC can ignore it.   

It could possibly be the mobile app. Instead of viewing on a desk top.  
  • I find heritage photographs on the poor side compared to GC. When I have an ugly coin I send it to Heritage so know one can tell. When I have a nice looking coin I send it to GC so,  their photograph will improve my sale.
  • I think GC could improve their images.
  • You can not tell subtle differences from an image! Any ones images. You should not be buying NON CAC with out an expert seeing the coins. Down the road it will cost you. You will also find out why the coin is not CAC. Bad move in my opinion. I know what I am talking about.
  • Legend said:
    You can not tell subtle differences from an image! Any ones images. You should not be buying NON CAC with out an expert seeing the coins. Down the road it will cost you. You will also find out why the coin is not CAC. Bad move in my opinion. I know what I am talking about.
    I’m taking this advice to heart.   I’ve already made very costly mistakes.    I just didn’t know what I didn’t know.   Better late than never.  👍🏻🙏🏻
    Thank you Legend 
  • I only buy CAC coins anyway. Well, 90% of the time. I have found some good coins that don't have CAC. I think there are still some out there that haven't been submitted. I'm talking about 4 figure coins here. I'm sure all the 5 and 6 figure ones have been. I'm gonna find out how good my judgement is soon though, as soon as I submit them and see what CAC says.
  • I certainly don’t mean this in a negative way but I don’t get it. I really don’t see what the big deal is being named the official auction of an ANA show? What does GC get out of it? Why would someone want to pay money for that privilege. If other auction firms are also there selling and showing their coins. Is it for advertising ? GC already has a name and is trusted… What am I missing?
  • I suppose since GC is a relatively new, but fast up and coming auction house, it was worth it just to have their name associated with the ANA. GC seems to have an aggressive marketing program. They have tons of ads in Coin World magazine and similar periodicals. They also seem to draw the ire and scorn of other dealers/auction houses for their impressive growth and success