Does CAC use any special lighting in order to more easily detect PVC? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Does CAC use any special lighting in order to more easily detect PVC?

It has been said that JA has an uncanny ability to see PVC on coins. Any special tricks?

I know UV is commonly used to "see" putty, does PVC light up similarly?

Comments

• I cannot speak for CAC but I really don't understand why anyone with good vision who is not colorblind cannot see PVC on a coin of course a beginner must be shown what it looks like. It is all about COLOR. You may try examining coins "detailed" for PVC in slabs (at least one major TPGS will slab them) or look at the slabs on the thread here with JA's helpful red dots. Another "trick?" is to look at suspicious coins using florescent light. It makes the PVC haze stand out. Otherwise, look for greenish tints when the PVS is bad.
  • I have no doubt that CAC is highly skilled at detecting PVC. But I suspect that they might be receiving a bit more credit than is due.

My hunch is that if the coins which CAC determines have PVC were shown to other experts, those experts would also detect it in almost every case. CAC examines a lot of coins that were graded/slabbed long ago. And the ones with PVC might not have exhibited it to nearly the same extent at the time of encapsulation. If you submit a coin to NGC or PCGS for regrade and the coin has PVC, do they proactively let you know?