Discuss and compare valuation of OGH PCGS/CAC slabbed coins to newer PCGS+/CAC slabbed coin. — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Discuss and compare valuation of OGH PCGS/CAC slabbed coins to newer PCGS+/CAC slabbed coin.

Please discuss what you believe if the market values the OGH PCGS/CAC slabbed coin higher, lower or the same as the newer PCGS+/CAC slabbed coins.

I wonder if buyers even know that + graded PXGS coins was only started recently. In discussing grades with a very big but younger buyer, he kept asking why I had no + graded OGH PCGS slabbed coins!

Comments

• Seems like most of the OGH coins are either undergraded or conservatively graded from my own observations
  • Tough call! Whenever there’s a coin I need with a CAC that happens to be in an OGH and in an auction, I know I have to bid at least “+” money to get the coin.
  • No idea. I'm in the registry but I'd never compete with the deep pocket players so I don't worry about + grades at all. I'd rather have an OGH with a bean because I get both the CAC and the fact the coin is likely stable. That's worth a small premium to me. I don't chase after + signs but I do tend to think they have a small premium as well. So perhaps in the end I think them roughly equivalent price-wise.
  • It depends on a combination of the the coins, themselves and price guide values, which some buyers reply upon.
  • edited March 2022
    Curiosities: seems like there’s a below average number of CAC approved Old green holders (the Pcgs green ones but after the rattlers) vs quite a few old fattiiee. Wonder why that is.
    And another question, beyond my limit of 1/ day but I’ll pull forward from the weekends quota;
    A friend has one of those Rive D’or collection coins (half eagle) seems like you never see fhem wearing the bean . Any ideas why
    And one more for the hat trick: I got 12 out of 40 stickers this time so I’m keeping up with Pete Rose’s long term.batting average of .303. Not bad huh? And I’m not making my living signing pictures at the Forum Shops at .Caesar’s Palace. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that,)
  • The valuation of such pieces is going to be a longer discussion, but the liquidity of such pieces (PCGS OGH/CAC) is far greater, in my experience, than PCGS+/CAC pieces.
  • edited April 2022
    I don’t like making generalizations - they seem to ignore the fact it’s the coin, how badly the buyer wants it, market conditions, and where it falls in the grade range.  I have handled both of the above and done well.  Overall based on experience it’s been the coin as to which one better.  Everybody is aware PCGS plus coins lower pop and higher value in CF. OGh coins so picked over now….compare CPG for a 66 cac vs Pcgs Cf for a pcgs plus CF.  I compared 2 at another dealers table - the CAC coin was a 65 CAC but a B coin imo.  The 65 plus non CAC was an A coin imo and blew the other one away lol plus it’s PCGS plus MV higher.  One needs do their homework…..generalizations don’t cut it in the coin business.
  • My experience says that a + CAC trumps an OGH CAC fir the simple reason that it takes top billing in an Everyman Registry and adds to the point value. So if two collectors have complete AU58 registry sets the guy with the AU58+ coins will get the finest registry in the Everyman Registry. That is worth a lot of money to fine people as evidenced by the prices people will pay for them. 
  • Your thoughts @ECN, on why with the new PCGS Everyman Sets, 64+ coins are not allowed, with the cap at 64?
  • TomB said:

The valuation of such pieces is going to be a longer discussion, but the liquidity of such pieces (PCGS OGH/CAC) is far greater, in my experience, than PCGS+/CAC pieces.

Very astute observation.

• edited April 2022
    I think the market valuation for OGH/CAC is harder to determine since one cannot assume it is equivalent to its counterpart when determining grade (it could green bean again at the next grade up). Since I don’t care about registry points, I like OGHs for their charm and presumed stability assuming the coin is great.
  • Catbert said:

I think the market valuation for OGH/CAC is harder to determine since one cannot assume it is equivalent to its counterpart when determining grade (it could green bean again at the next grade up). Since I don’t care about registry points, I like OGHs for their charm and presumed stability assuming the coin is great.

VERY valid point regarding the potential for it possibly not to CAC if it gets a higher whole grade number if it is resubmitted, either via Regrade or Resubmission or Crackout, as CAC might determine it’s not solid for that next higher whole grade number.

Additionally, if obtaining an OGH CAC at auction, oftentimes the bids cover large ranges, with bidders thinking it’ll get a whole grade bump, or maybe just a plus, or maybe two grades? As such, for those that buy OGH CAC coins with the idea of getting an upgrade, there’s risk. That risk does not occur to that same extent when one buys a plus CAC coin at auction.

For the majority that just want to own an OGH CAC, all is good, although a “premium” to some extent will usually have to be paid.

Steve