NGC versus PCGS — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

NGC versus PCGS

I have found that their grading is identical about 90% of the time, no matter how many times I resubmit the same coins to both services. Of course, this percentage only applies to the key, semi-key, and low mintage coins (mainly MS65 and less) in which i deal.

Because the market perceives PCGS to be the superior service, anything decent in NGC holders often gets crossed over by PCGS while the dreck stays in NGC slabs, further (unfairly) eroding NGC's image.

A good way to gauge which service more strictly grades a particular issue in a particular grade is to look at their respective population data. For instance, NGC is more liberal with 1940's MS67 Mercury dimes as evidenced by their considerably higher populations.

The same population indicator also applies to modifiers. NGC is actually more conservative with the RD and FB designations for nearly every issue in every series. Compare their populations for proof.

And yes, I know that other factors may effect to which service coins are submitted, such as monthly specials, special photography, politics, and variety notations.

As for CAC, I believe that they are slightly more likely to approve PCGS coins yet simultaneously reject identical NGC coins due to unconscious bias. I have no proof; it is just an educated guess.

Comments

• edited April 2022
    I get offered both and have no major bias one vs another.  For or me it’s the coin that matters and I price it accordingly.  Deals evaluated on Sales  / Contribution Margin potential.  Many world issues of mine NGC and they a major part of my NGC.  For currency PMG has the most on eBay and last time I checked NGC had more slabs on eBay than PCGS.  Each service has its share of A and C coins.  I look at acquisitions on a case by case basis not some herd animal surfing the waves.  Beyond that it’s too complex an issue for me but obviously market preference comes into play.

Certainly I understand many favor PCGS.  A PCGS submitter myself I submit both coins and currency.  Plus I really like the PCGS inventory app.

Will they merge in the future or be absorbed / consolidated by some other organization?
  • edited March 2022
    Because the market perceives PCGS to be the superior service, anything decent in NGC holders often gets crossed over by PCGS while the dreck stays in NGC slabs, further (unfairly) eroding NGC's image.

This is one of the key differences between the two companies. Many of the best NGC coins get crossed over, and their mistakes stay in NGC holders which does damage to the brand. This even applies to CAC approved NGC coins. It's almost like non CAC PCGS coin is valued higher than a CAC approved NGC coin.

In foreign coin field, NGC is the leader. NGC has a very high reputation when it comes to grading ancient coins.
  • I prefer ngc for proof Franklin coinage. 
  • I believe the market places a higher value on a CAC NGC older gold coin compared to a non CAC PCGS (same date and grade) one.
  •  I grew tired of PCGS DNCing my high end Saints.   I’ve sent in some very nice ms 67 Saints yet they have never crossed one over for me .  It’s very frustrating.   I feel like it’s political and they’re trying their darn best to destroy NGC’s credibility .   A coin is either in a grade or it’s not.   I could understand if it were borderline or even misgraded being the reason .   But it’s not .  I’m convinced it is exactly what I expressed above .   Thoughts ?

Btw , it’s working .  I’m now shying away from NGC slabbed coins unless it’s CACed .

Thoughts ?  
  • My understanding is that the two companies have similar, but not identical, grading standards. Therefore something can legitimately be one grade at one service and another at the other and both be right by their standards. After all, the official ANA standards have lots of wiggle room in them. 
  •  I grew tired of PCGS DNCing my high end Saints.   I’ve sent in some very nice ms 67 Saints yet they have never crossed one over for me .  It’s very frustrating.   I feel like it’s political and they’re trying their darn best to destroy NGC’s credibility .   A coin is either in a grade or it’s not.   I could understand if it were borderline or even misgraded being the reason .   But it’s not .  I’m convinced it is exactly what I expressed above .   Thoughts ?

Btw , it’s working .  I’m now shying away from NGC slabbed coins unless it’s CACed .

Thoughts ?  

Depends what your level of risk is:

Best chance to get NGC 67 into a PCGS holder is to crack it out.

Alternatively submit to PCGS as a cross at 66 and assuming it crosses send back to PCGS as a regrade and hopefully you’ll finally get it in a 67 holder.
  • Crossing is a tricky business. The coin has to be assessed in its holder. Which means viewing through plastic with at least part of the coin concealed (edges and rims).

What happens if a cross is accepted and upon cracking a significant flaw is revealed? The TPG is on the hook. There's no going back.

So it makes sense that the TPG's are conservative with crosses. It would be ideal if, after assigning a crossing grade, the raw coin were returned to graders for another assessment. But that's not the workflow.

Cracking and submitting raw usually yields a better shake. Graders see the entire raw coin without worries. The problem, of course, is the possibility of a body bag. Then all is lost.

Sometimes the better option, albeit a possibly more expensive one, is to cross at any grade to get the coin in the preferred plastic. And then, if it deserves better, have it regraded where the coin is cracked and assessed raw. The grade is guaranteed so there is no risk of a bodybag or downgrade.
    Lance.
  • WilliamJ said:

I prefer ngc for proof Franklin coinage. 

Is your preference due to NGC possibly having “looser” standards in this Proof series, so your Proof Franklins can get higher grades with NGC instead of with PCGS?

Steve
  • My practice is to buy a coin in whatever it COMES in.
    Of course that leaves me with inferior coins that hurt my eyes.

• I prefer ngc for proof Franklin coinage. 
    Is your preference due to NGC possibly having “looser” standards in this Proof series, so your Proof Franklins can get higher grades with NGC instead of with PCGS? Steve
      I haven't noticed looser standards as a theme with Ngc proof Franklins... I  also don't have any super high $ best of the best Franklins.
        I Always hope for a higher grade, but I usually agree with how NGC grades them.
    #1.In my opinion, They seem more consistent on hairlines and milk spots. 
    #2. I  love the star designation.
    #3. I also like their standards for cameo/ ultra cameo better than PCGS.
       All of mine are cac approved with only one currently in a pcgs holder.
  •    Last year I sent 6 NGC bust dollars separately  for  pcgs to crossover. None of them did. They said that they were all cleaned.

Last year I also cracked out two NGC bust dollars that were in a details holder for being  improperly cleaned. Sent them to PCGS raw and both coins were straight graded, no details, VF-35 1800 and a VG-10 1802. 
  • Next up on our list of fun topics: Coca Cola versus Pepsi/RC Cola.
  • Next up on our list of fun topics: Coca Cola versus Pepsi/RC Cola.
    Ford vs Chevy
    Soda vs Pop vs Coke
    Krystals vs White Castle
    Apple vs Android
  • WilliamJ said:
       Last year I sent 6 NGC bust dollars separately  for  pcgs to crossover. None of them did. They said that they were all cleaned.

Last year I also cracked out two NGC bust dollars that were in a details holder for being  improperly cleaned. Sent them to PCGS raw and both coins were straight graded, no details, VF-35 1800 and a VG-10 1802. 
    He did it again !  🙈🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Your results are what the masses experience .

Some receive more attention and consideration from PCGS .    Probably doesn’t hurt if you’re on their radar for pumping up the company 

• WilliamJ said:

Last year I sent 6 NGC bust dollars separately  for  pcgs to crossover. None of them did. They said that they were all cleaned.

wowee !