PCGS Winning Bid Notifications — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

PCGS Winning Bid Notifications

I’ve noticed that many of the coins I buy , many at new highs in regards to price paid are not reflected on CoinFacts .   

As an example ( see attached photo ) I paid $57,750.00 for a PCGS 1929 Saint ms 64 last month .  Yet it’s not listed.   Closet - cont. below pic one listed is for $50,400.00 

I think listing them would benefit both buyer and dealer as it would make paying new higher prices justifiable.    It’s hard to plunk down a lot more money on a coin if all we see in recently solids being a lot less.  

What say y’all ?   GC , Legend , Witter ??

I certainly would like my coins entered .

Thank you 
Vincent Savage 

Comments

• It would be nice for us consumers for the data to be shared better for the price guides but that doesn’t seem to be happening. I’m sure there are either monetary or business reasons for it. 
  • There is a 1929 Saint ms 65 that I would like to make an offer on.  Starting bid is high imho but I haven’t much to gauge it on .   That’s actually what made me post this.  I was going to send GC an offer of $64,000 plus 10% for the bossman for a total of $70,400

But I discarded the email because I don’t know if I’ll be insulting someone or over paying .

Pricing guides are a bit confusing .  

Certainly hope the bigwigs like Ian and George etc will take this request of sorts to heart. 

I do not see it as a business decision rather more a privacy issue .  But I don’t know as it’s above my pay scale at this point . 
  • edited March 2022
     I paid $57,750.00 for a PCGS 1929 Saint ms 64 last month

Was this coin won at auction? Which Auction house?

Coinfacts only reports recent sales from eBay, HA, SB, Legend, Scotsman, Kagins, and Goldberg I believe
  • Bad news, A GEM 1929 Saint WILL be expensive. Even if its not CAC. However you'd be foolish to buy a Saint that does not have the bean-unless you can stomach the huge price disparity. There are NO bargains when you seek true quality.

There are many uneducated Saint buyers out there now. That is why you can sell a poop Saint in a holder (NO CAC) for too much. Do NOT be one of them
  • edited March 2022
    Legend said:
    Bad news, A GEM 1929 Saint WILL be expensive. Even if its not CAC. However you'd be foolish to buy a Saint that does not have the bean-unless you can stomach the huge price disparity. There are NO bargains when you seek true quality. There are many uneducated Saint buyers out there now. That is why you can sell a poop Saint in a holder (NO CAC) for too much. Do NOT be one of them
    Thanks Legend.  I am / was one of those uneducated Saint buyers .  Wish I knew then what I know now.  I don’t mind paying for quality.   I kicked myself for not bidding further on the Duckor ‘23 D ms 67 CAC last august .

There was also a Fox and I think an Elisaberg coins that I let go at a certain point .   That had I known then what I do now I’d probably have them in my safe now.    

I’m not making that mistake moving forward .

I firmly believe what you are saying and that CAC saints are the better investment.

Thank you 

Vincent Savage 

• Legend said:

Bad news, A GEM 1929 Saint WILL be expensive. Even if its not CAC. However you'd be foolish to buy a Saint that does not have the bean-unless you can stomach the huge price disparity. There are NO bargains when you seek true quality.

There are many uneducated Saint buyers out there now. That is why you can sell a poop Saint in a holder (NO CAC) for too much. Do NOT be one of them

Thanks Legend.  I am / was one of those uneducated Saint buyers .  Wish I knew then what I know now.  I don’t mind paying for quality.   I kicked myself for not bidding further on the Duckor ‘23 D ms 67 CAC last august .

There was also a Fox and I think an Elisaberg coins that I let go at a certain point .   That had I known then what I do now I’d probably have them in my safe now.    

I firmly believe what you are saying and that CAC saints are the better investment.

Thank you 

Vincent Savage 

Based on my observations, CAC Saints certainly tend to be of better quality than non-CAC examples. However, when you buy coins as an “investment” - which I don’t recommend - it’s not just quality, that counts. It’s about cost, too.

And I’ve seen a great many transactions in which buyers have paid so much extra for quality, that I’m not optimistic about how their investments will perform.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a very strong advocate of CAC and quality. But if you’re investing in coins, price shouldn’t be ignored. Often, it’s more difficult to determine how much extra to pay for quality than it is to recognize it in the first place.
  • MarkFeld said:
    Legend said:
    Bad news, A GEM 1929 Saint WILL be expensive. Even if its not CAC. However you'd be foolish to buy a Saint that does not have the bean-unless you can stomach the huge price disparity. There are NO bargains when you seek true quality. There are many uneducated Saint buyers out there now. That is why you can sell a poop Saint in a holder (NO CAC) for too much. Do NOT be one of them

Thank you 

Vincent Savage 
    Based on my observations, CAC Saints certainly tend to be of better quality than non-CAC examples. However, when you buy coins as an “investment” - which I don’t recommend - it’s not just quality, that counts. It’s about cost, too. And I’ve seen a great many transactions in which buyers have paid so much extra for quality, that I’m not optimistic about how their investments will perform. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a very strong advocate of CAC and quality. But if you’re investing in coins, price shouldn’t be ignored. Often, it’s more difficult to determine how much extra to pay for quality than it is to recognize it in the first place.
    I’m glad you brought that up.   With that exactly in mind is why I often buy a lot of bullion and also low grade slabbed saints .  My thoughts are they aren’t much over spot price yet you can enjoy the hobby / history of it too.   If AU bounces up your low grade stuff is carried up too just based on its AU content .

For investments 90% is in property and the market .   I don’t like cash very much .  So when I buy higher grade saints etc I do so for enjoyment and I prefer to have them over piles of cash.   I used the word investment when I really mean hedge against inflation .

None of us have a crystal ball but that’s why we diversify.    I also have bought hundreds of guns over years which have performed better than AU bullion 😆.   

I appreciate your input .  Certainly something to keep in mind .  Using your thoughts today on a 1908 nm $20 ms 66+ CAC 

How high do we go on an 08?   It’s going over $6,000 now with the BP.   Entering last years 67 numbers .   I suspect it’s another frenzied bubble right now too.    But at some point in the future it’ll all be worth more then it is today .  

• MarkFeld said:

Legend said:

Bad news, A GEM 1929 Saint WILL be expensive. Even if its not CAC. However you'd be foolish to buy a Saint that does not have the bean-unless you can stomach the huge price disparity. There are NO bargains when you seek true quality.

Thank you 

Vincent Savage 
    Based on my observations, CAC Saints certainly tend to be of better quality than non-CAC examples. However, when you buy coins as an “investment” - which I don’t recommend - it’s not just quality, that counts. It’s about cost, too.

And I’ve seen a great many transactions in which buyers have paid so much extra for quality, that I’m not optimistic about how their investments will perform.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a very strong advocate of CAC and quality. But if you’re investing in coins, price shouldn’t be ignored. Often, it’s more difficult to determine how much extra to pay for quality than it is to recognize it in the first place.

I’m glad you brought that up.   With that exactly in mind is why I often buy a lot of bullion and also low grade slabbed saints .  My thoughts are they aren’t much over spot price yet you can enjoy the hobby / history of it too.   If AU bounces up your low grade stuff is carried up too just based on its AU content .

For investments 90% is in property and the market .   I don’t like cash very much .  So when I buy higher grade saints etc I do so for enjoyment and I prefer to have them over piles of cash.   I used the word investment when I really mean hedge against inflation .

None of us have a crystal ball but that’s why we diversify.    I also have bought hundreds of guns over years which have performed better than AU bullion 😆.   

I appreciate your input .  Certainly something to keep in mind .  Using your thoughts today on a 1908 nm $20 ms 66+ CAC 

How high do we go on an 08?   It’s going over $6,000 now with the BP.   Entering last years 67 numbers .   I suspect it’s another frenzied bubble right now too.    But at some point in the future it’ll all be worth more then it is today .  

I think $6000+ is too much for a CAC 66+ 1908 No Motto Saint. I’d pass, unless I knew it was phenomenal.

It sounds like you know the risks AND that you’re enjoying yourself. I like it when I hear that from collectors.👍
  • edited March 2022
    I have no idea on their auc data input procedure or timetable.  Or for that matter how often this issue comes to auction.  However it appears you got a good deal on a low pop better date coin paying $58k for $65k CF MV piece.  Pop is 87 w 43 higher.  Certainly it’s an issue which has multiple submissions in hope of upgrade.  A really nice coin to have!  I just have a couple stacks of slabbed generic $20 Double Eagles PCGS AU - MS64 not far off melt so this issue probably outta my league / risk tolerance.

I would be wondering too when it will be reflected in CF since last auc data Oct 2020.
  • Phil619 said:
    I have no idea on their auc data input procedure or timetable.  Or for that matter how often this issue comes to auction.  However it appears you got a good deal on a low pop better date coin paying $58k for $65k CF MV piece.  Pop is 87 w 43 higher.  Certainly it’s an issue which has multiple submissions in hope of upgrade.  A really nice coin to have!  I just have a couple stacks of slabbed generic $20 Double Eagles PCGS AU - MS64 not far off melt so this issue probably outta my league / risk tolerance.

I would be wondering too when it will be reflected in CF since last auc data Oct 2020.
    Hi 

I think that you’re right too .  It’s not much off melt value .   Even if it were $400 off , that’s only $8k over $20 saints .   I occasionally buy Details coins too for the bullion factor yet still get a 1912 as an example .  I wouldn’t even mind cracking 10 or 20 of them just to have raw coins to play with ….🤓

I love the sound of Raw AU & AG when it hits the bar top / table or against each other .

On the 29 , not being the expert but it’s the cleanest one I’ve seen offered in the last couple of years and even looks better than most 65’s for that matter.   But I think a long faint mark keeps it down .  Shame since it hardly has a bag mark and the strike is nice.

I’ve been collecting 27’s ms 67 as well.

Outside of the 3 that are CACed , I think my 4 are also the cleanest I’ve seen among those offered these last 2 years .   I plan on getting more .  Corner the ‘27 ms 67 market !  😂
  • MarkFeld said:
    MarkFeld said:
    Legend said:

Thank you 

Vincent Savage 
    Based on my observations, CAC Saints certainly tend to be of better quality than non-CAC examples. However, when you buy coins as an “investment” - which I don’t recommend - it’s not just quality, that counts. It’s about cost, too. And I’ve seen a great many transactions in which buyers have paid so much extra for quality, that I’m not optimistic about how their investments will perform. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a very strong advocate of CAC and quality. But if you’re investing in coins, price shouldn’t be ignored. Often, it’s more difficult to determine how much extra to pay for quality than it is to recognize it in the first place.

I think $6000+ is too much for a CAC 66+ 1908 No Motto Saint. I’d pass, unless I knew it was phenomenal. It sounds like you know the risks AND that you’re enjoying yourself. I like it when I hear that from collectors.👍
    I agree .  Learning more and more as time marches on.   Learning too much starts robbing us of the simple joy we had when ignorance was bliss ….  When a 67 didn’t mean anything more 62 

the good ole days 😂
  • No doubt you have the bug Colombianito. If it were me, I'd sell the mundane and consolidate into quality. But that's just the collector in me who doesn't have the resources you do.
  • Catbert said:
    No doubt you have the bug Colombianito. If it were me, I'd sell the mundane and consolidate into quality. But that's just the collector in me who doesn't have the resources you do.
    I have the worse case of ocd you will ever see !  Lol 

when I get an idea in my head it’s all or nothing ….