Why are PCGS beaned coins considered better coins than NGC beaned coins? - Page 5 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Why are PCGS beaned coins considered better coins than NGC beaned coins?

Comments

• Its not as easy as you think just to buy NGC CAC coins and cross them. You will get a few-not all. And right now PCGS isn't in the mood to cross coins much
  • Legend said:

Its not as easy as you think just to buy NGC CAC coins and cross them. You will get a few-not all. And right now PCGS isn't in the mood to cross coins much

I understood from the new CAC grading service that is coming that ( ALL) current NGC CAC coins will cross to a CAC ( only) holder ....is that correct ?
  • We use the same criteria for Ngc and pcgs coins. I understand that there are hard core pcgs registry collectors that will cross them over. I buy both holders and pay the same.    I’m concerned about the coin, not the plastic that surrounds it. JA 
  • JACAC said:

We use the same criteria for Ngc and pcgs coins. I understand that there are hard core pcgs registry collectors that will cross them over. I buy both holders and pay the same.    I’m concerned about the coin, not the plastic that surrounds it. JA 

Thank you for clarifying John ....I wish your new endeavor the best !
  • Thank you ! 
  • Honestly, I don't have an answer to the OP question. What I do know, however, is that there are fantastic coins in NGC plastic selling for discounts. It simply benefits those who know what to look for.

I've never had an issue with the prongs either. For some reason though the plain blue labels seem bland to me. The gold shield symbol adds something to make it less bland.
  • I’m late, and honestly did not read the prior 80+ replies (how I love using the “+”, lol).

While all of my coins are in PCGS holders, I do that mainly for the “silly boys game”, otherwise known as the Registry. While NGC will allow coins graded by PCGS into their registry, PCGS will not allow coins graded by ANY other TPG into their Registry.

In my opinion, an NGC coin with a CAC sticker SHOULD be recognized the same as its PCGS counterpart. But it is not.

Based on the above, I believe right NOW NGC coins with CAC stickers are being bought up super fast, with the intent to cross them into the new CAC holders at their current grade, and possibly with a plus. A fortune can be made, as I believe the market will give MUCH more value to a coin in the new CAC holder than that same coin with a CAC sticker in an NGC holder.

I’m willing to bet that CAC will get flooded with crossover submissions of NGC coins with CAC stickers!

Steve
  • Based on my comments above, I believe very quickly we’ll see NGC CAC coins with nice eye appeal narrow the gap with their PCGS CAC counterparts!

Steve
  • The general perception among many U.S. collectors is that PCGS graded coins are "better." Therefore PCGS-CAC coins must be "better" and therefore the best in the industry. I think that PCGS is, in general, more conservative, but that is a broad statement. Both companies have issued under graded, over graded and slabs whose grades are "spot on." Therefore the answer continues to be you need to learn to grade yourself or have a very trusted person to advise you.

PCGS fans should know that NGC is the leader in world and ancient coins. In fact the come has a great deal of respect among those who collect ancient coins. Having said that, many ancient collectors prefer their coins raw, but NGC has even gained a level of respect among that group. You will sometimes see ancient coins with the NGC label in the flip.
  • A lot of the prejudice against NGC originates from dealer websites. :/
  • edited October 2022
    I think there are possibly two separate issues being discussed, even though the OP is referencing just one.

Some comments may be discussing a more broad generalization of PCGS vs. NGC, where the OP is asking a question that may have a different answer - where BOTH NGC and PCGS coins have a CAC sticker in the same grade with similar eye appeal.

Steve
  • edited October 2022

Based on the above, I believe right NOW NGC coins with CAC stickers are being bought up super fast...
    Steve

Probably true. I think both PCGS/CAC and NGC/CAC have, this past week, predictably, seen an increased demand & concurrent price increase fueled by the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT. Your hunch that NGC/CAC coins down the road are probably going to be bigger winners than PCGS/CAC coins is sound logic.
  • My experience has been that NGC CAC coins are hard to cross to PCGS generally speaking. The plastic probably makes it hard but it sometime appears to me that AU coins (I'm talking gold here) are a little more conservatively graded at PCGS. The standards between AU53 and AU55 to lower end AU58 seem less observed by NGC and CAC for that matter. It feels like there is a continuum of grading more applied to this segment. Do others feel the same way or am I distorting to my own narrow experience?
  • edited October 2022

My experience has been that NGC CAC coins are hard to cross to PCGS generally speaking. The plastic probably makes it hard but it sometime appears to me that AU coins (I'm talking gold here) are a little more conservatively graded at PCGS. The standards between AU53 and AU55 to lower end AU58 seem less observed by NGC and CAC for that matter. It feels like there is a continuum of grading more applied to this segment. Do others feel the same way or am I distorting to my own narrow experience?

Keep in mind that the NGC coins with CAC stickers that this OP is talking about WILL AUTOMATICALLY cross to the new CAC grading holders at least at the same grade they are now, and potentially higher!

Steve
  • My experience has been that NGC CAC coins are hard to cross to PCGS generally speaking. The plastic probably makes it hard but it sometime appears to me that AU coins (I'm talking gold here) are a little more conservatively graded at PCGS. The standards between AU53 and AU55 to lower end AU58 seem less observed by NGC and CAC for that matter. It feels like there is a continuum of grading more applied to this segment. Do others feel the same way or am I distorting to my own narrow experience?

Keep in mind that the NGC coins with CAC stickers that this OP is talking about WILL AUTOMATICALLY cross to the new CAC grading holders at least as the same grade they are now, and potentially higher!

Steve
    Thanks Steve. It does make buying or owning NGC CAC coins a potentially good bet!
  • I am telling you, if it was that easy to cross NGC CAC coins, you'd never be able to buy any. You really think dealers miss this stuff? I know I sure can't get a lot crossed.

NGC has far more commercial standards overall, which is why it trades for less.

Good luck!
  • The Legend.  - you recently sold me an amazing 1914-P Saint in Ngc-cac ms65.  It was problem free and as frosty as can be for a 14-P.  I’m aware that you sold it to me because pcgs didn’t cross it.  You bought it , I assume, because you liked it as well.  Why didn’t it cross?  For me , it was a real head scratcher as I see coins a full point lower every day in ms65 holders.  JA 
  • Legend said:

I am telling you, if it was that easy to cross NGC CAC coins, you'd never be able to buy any. You really think dealers miss this stuff? I know I sure can't get a lot crossed.

NGC has far more commercial standards overall, which is why it trades for less.

Good luck!

Laura - Perhaps you misunderstood my point. We’re not talking at all about NGC CAC crossing to PCGS. We’re ONLY talking about JA’s statement that NGC CAC coins WILL ABSOLUTELY cross to the new CAC graded holders at the same grade they are now in their NGC holders, AND some may possibly even grade higher, such as with a plus grade that the current NGC holder does not have now!

Steve
  • To JA’s point a high end non-generic coin for the grade will carry itself regardless of the holder! I have some NGC coins that I’m fine with them residing in NGC slabs with CAC as dealers/collectors have tried relentlessly at above full retail to pry them out of my hands! I’m a bigger fan of PCGS slabs; however, when I buy the coin and not the holder, NGC coins still enter my collection. I will cross some NGC (modern holders only) coins to the new CAC just to see there
     A / B status. I’m all about the NGC fatty & OGH as long as the coin can carry itself even if it were staring at me raw!
  • I seem to recall that PCGS reluctance to cross NGC to the PCGS started because NGC used a thicker plastic cover which can obscure some issues with the coin and PCGS did not want to get holding the bag with a problem coin. Later on, it became a PR benefit to PCGS.