CAC Grading — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC Grading

Does CAC weigh more emphasis on the obverse of a coin than the reverse when reviewing the coin for a sticker? I hear the TPG's grade of the obverse,  heavily influences the overall grade of the coin. Is this also true with CAC??
    I am trying to learn what CAC likes and accepts as a worthy coin.
  What have you noticed?

Comments

• WilliamJ said:

Does CAC weigh more emphasis on the obverse of a coin than the reverse when reviewing the coin for a sticker? I hear the TPG's grade of the obverse,  heavily influences the overall grade of the coin. Is this also true with CAC??
        I am trying to learn what CAC likes and accepts as a worthy coin.
      What have you noticed?

Absolutely. Right or wrong, good or bad, it’s the way coins are typically graded.
  • I have two coins. One with a beautiful reverse, possibly A quality, with a C obverse, average,  makes it possibly a B coin? Should it merit a CAC sticker.
     My other coin just the opposite, A quality obverse and C quality reverse, would that merit a CAC approval?
        Both 1803 bust dollars of similar value.
    I also have a similar situation with two Morgan's. No high dollar coins. 
       Once CAC gets caught up I am considering sending them in to them, but I really want to improve my own grading skills.

• WilliamJ said:

I have two coins. One with a beautiful reverse, possibly A quality, with a C obverse, average,  makes it possibly a B coin? Should it merit a CAC sticker.
     My other coin just the opposite, A quality obverse and C quality reverse, would that merit a CAC approval?
        Both 1803 bust dollars of similar value.
    I also have a similar situation with two Morgan's. No high dollar coins. 
       Once CAC gets caught up I am considering sending them in to them, but I really want to improve my own grading skills.

It’s impossible to provide meaningful answers without knowing what the coins actually look like.
  • MarkFeld said:
      Does CAC weigh more emphasis on the obverse of a coin than the reverse when reviewing the coin for a sticker? I hear the 

Absolutely. Right or wrong, good or bad, it’s the way coins are typically graded.
    Sounds like you believe,  CAC,  also typically grades coins similarly? Obverse weighing more than the reverse?
  • WilliamJ said:

MarkFeld said:

Does CAC weigh more emphasis on the obverse of a coin than the reverse when reviewing the coin for a sticker? I hear the 

Sounds like you believe,  CAC,  also typically grades coins similarly? Obverse weighing more than the reverse?

I have no doubt about it.
  • I can not remember a time when 90% of the evaluation of the coin was not the Obverse.

I admit I have probably been doing it wrong....
  • Vestige of the Whitman boards.
    :D
  • Mine were original Beistle pages and the Binders. Still have them.
  • WilliamJ said:
    MarkFeld said:

When I spoke with JA about my green sticker MS65 1926 Buffalo today he told me there was a mark on the reverse significant enough to prevent a gold sticker. So sure as the sun will rise in the east a coins reverse can drag down a coins grade rather than cause an overall upgrade of the obverse