Is This Artificial Toning? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Is This Artificial Toning?

You decide. I already have (it is). If this toning is real, you are the president of Jupiter. Actually, the toning makes the coin look like Jupiter.

I have achieved suspiciously similar results with sulfur compounds, camel hair brushes, and bleach/baking soda to eliminate the odor.

How did this impostor slip through PCGS much less the great one, JA?

Comments

• I, too, am curious to see what people think. There's a lot of neon toned coins out there I'm suspicious of. I do think we would need to see more photos at different angles and lighting conditions to make a better judgement here though.
  • vamsplus said:

I, too, am curious to see what people think. There's a lot of neon toned coins out there I'm suspicious of. I do think we would need to see more photos at different angles and lighting conditions to make a better judgement here though.

Clearly, you have never artificially toned silver coins yourself, LOL.
  • What’s the point of your post?
  • edited March 2022
    At the risk of getting people angry at me, I will simply say, I don't care for it.

The issue with the photo is that the label and CAC sticker could be on one slab, and the coin in another.
  • SeatedNut said:

What’s the point of your post?

What is the point of yours?
  • edited March 2022
    BillJones said:

At the risk of getting people angry at me, I will simply say, I don't care for it.

The issue with the photo is that the label and CAC sticker could be on one slab, and the coin in another.

Has it occurred to you to check the serial number at PCGS's website? You cannot, because I do not want to damage the coin's rep. But I will furnish the serial number to this site's admin upon request.
  • @CACfan - My post was an attempt to extract what the motive behind your post was. What did you hope to accomplish? Given the crap you’ve spewed in other threads I didn’t go into it expecting much of a reply and you certainly lived up to my expectations.

You found a single coin that you believe pcgs and cac made a mistake on. Your comment about JA being the "great one" came off as condescending. If that was your intention you succeeded. So what was the point? If I am wrong about that then I question why you wouldn’t reach out to CAC privately and see what they thought and if this is a situation where a buy back makes sense. Blasting the CAC coin that is for sale (on the CAC forum) currently is bad taste. I came across this coin last night and anyone doing a typical CAC search can locate the coin.

I’ve wasted enough time replying to u. Won’t make that mistake again in the future.
  • SeatedNut said:

@CACfan - My post was an attempt to extract what the motive behind your post was. What did you hope to accomplish? Given the crap you’ve spewed in other threads I didn’t go into it expecting much of a reply and you certainly lived up to my expectations.

You found a single coin that you believe pcgs and cac made a mistake on. Your comment about JA being the "great one" came off as condescending. If that was your intention you succeeded. So what was the point? If I am wrong about that then I question why you wouldn’t reach out to CAC privately and see what they thought and if this is a situation where a buy back makes sense. Blasting the CAC coin that is for sale (on the CAC forum) currently is bad taste. I came across this coin last night and anyone doing a typical CAC search can locate the coin.

I’ve wasted enough time replying to u. Won’t make that mistake again in the future.

Everything that you said about me ironically applies to you. Project much? Hypocritical much?

JA is the Great One. You must be incredibly paranoid if you construe that praise as an insult, LOL. He is the definitive expert about coin grading and I learn from every CAC sticker.

Unfortunately, I cannot learn anything from you because you merely post petty insults.

Posting this photo may alert CAC and others about the look of an obviously artificially toned coin.

• Possibly the coin has turned in the holder. BTW. Please quit cleaning and toning coins.
    Coin doctors are a problem in our great hobby.
  • Possibly the coin has turned in the holder. BTW. Please quit cleaning and toning coins.

This.
  • Luster said:

Possibly the coin has turned in the holder. BTW. Please quit cleaning and toning coins.

This.
    I don’t know what the coin looks like in hand. But based on the image, it doesn’t look like one that’s turned in its holder.

You do not necessarily need to clean silver coins to get these results. Every TPG and CAC grader should take a class in artificial toning so they know how to spot it.

In reality, there is no such thing as artificial toning. Man can enable it but only nature can make it happen.

If a silver coin is placed in a Wayte Raymond album so that it will beautifully tone, is the resulting toning artificial? Where is the line drawn?
  • It certainly does look AT. And strongly agree with MarkFeld that is not what comes to mind when someone says, "turned in the holder". Turd in the holder maybe, but not turned.
  • CACfan said:
    Possibly the coin has turned in the holder. BTW. Please quit cleaning and toning coins. Coin doctors are a problem in our great hobby.
    You do not necessarily need to clean silver coins to get these results. Every TPG and CAC grader should take a class in artificial toning so they know how to spot it. In reality, there is no such thing as artificial toning. Man can enable it but only nature can make it happen. If a silver coin is placed in a Wayte Raymond album so that it will beautifully tone, is the resulting toning artificial? Where is the line drawn?
    It is difficult to believe JA and his experienced team would make a mistake of this magnitude,on top of PCGS missing it as well.
  • Stevie said:

CACfan said:

Possibly the coin has turned in the holder. BTW. Please quit cleaning and toning coins.

You do not necessarily need to clean silver coins to get these results. Every TPG and CAC grader should take a class in artificial toning so they know how to spot it.

In reality, there is no such thing as artificial toning. Man can enable it but only nature can make it happen.

If a silver coin is placed in a Wayte Raymond album so that it will beautifully tone, is the resulting toning artificial? Where is the line drawn?

It is difficult to believe JA and his experienced team would make a mistake of this magnitude,on top of PCGS missing it as well.

My guess is that the toning looks different in hand.
  • edited March 2022
    I would have to see it in hand under 100 watt light.  Under a glass.  Both sides. 

• Phil619 said:

I would have to see it in hand under 100 watt light.  Under a glass.  Both sides.

You’d need to view the coin under a glass to determine whether you thought the toning was artificial? How would that help?
  • edited March 2022
    Your kidding.  What’s wrong with some magnification lol?
  • SeatedNut said:
    What’s the point of your post?
    +1. I thought only “LS’s” and “IR’s” opinions were the only ones that matter to the OP. Why not PM them directly?
  • Better images are needed.