CAC approved Seated Liberty Dollars - Page 3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC approved Seated Liberty Dollars

Comments

• Thanks! your 1849 is lovely.
  • SeatedNut said:

That 1849 is killer! You just don't find them with that kind of beautiful toning! You did well SeatedNut.....very well!
  • edited May 2022
    @CACNUTCOLLECTOR - Outstanding. B)
    Whole lotta wholesome here... TY all :)
    @Nic - Slouching not at all, looks like you saved yourself $100K that you will might spend on other tasty classics.
  • For those who like STD Dollars, we have a major announcement: the M+S Petty Collection one of two complete sets (70S included) will be auctioned by LRCA July 28th at the PCGS Invite in LV. Most coins are PCGS CAC.

Very cool set!
  • @Legend - can’t wait for the write ups and pictures. He has some killer coins. Looking forward to this sale!
  • @Seth_WitterCoin - She looks incredible.

@westaugust - Really nice.

Thanks for sharing guys
  • Think of beauty, SeatedNut. Keep them coming please!
  • Love the 1866 $1 Motto pair! We also handled the 1866 $1 Motto MS67 PCGS not cac now in the Tyrant Collection.

Our favorites:

Coming Soon - 1847 $1

• So pleasing to see such beautiful coins!
  • Sure is a lot of SUDDEN appreciation of the Seated Dollars.
    Yeah, they're the toughies in a nice circ 7070, but it sure seems weird to see such widespread publicity.
    ??
  • Pyrite said:

Sure is a lot of SUDDEN appreciation of the Seated Dollars.
    Yeah, they're the toughies in a nice circ 7070, but it sure seems weird to see such widespread publicity.
    ??

Nothing sudden at least on my part. Have appreciated them for years. Certainly enjoy seeing others doing the same and sharing their great holdings. Please keep them coming!
  • @Pyrite

Prices have been creeping up slowly but steadily. I believe a lot of it is tied to the general Covid boost that most of numismatics has enjoyed. I definitely started to see a boost in prices both publicly and privately after stacks sold a handful of CAC approved dollars (maybe a year and a half ago?). Then Gerry auctioned off the TN set which realized insane prices (especially on the non CAC coins). The recent Stephen Petty set sold by Legend created some more buzz. (Although I felt prices realized were weak on a handful of them). CRO has sold some nice very nice SLDs over the passed year and the prices certainly grabbed my attention.

I have always felt SLDs were one of the most under appreciated series in all of numismatics. The main reason price guides lagged so much in the past is that nice examples generally sell privately. The higher prices have created a small trickle in the market with some nice coins finally starting to sell publicly. This will help give data points to the people who update all the guides. I’m still buying and don’t have any plans to stop in the near future. The prices moving up is a double edge sword though. It will increase the number of collectors who are essentially priced out of the SLD market. But the higher prices are definitely justified and in my opinion deserve to jump up even higher.
  • Luster said:

Pyrite said:

??

Nothing sudden at least on my part. Have appreciated them for years. Certainly enjoy seeing others doing the same and sharing their great holdings. Please keep them coming!
    Oh, me too. Started them in the early 70''s when all was raw and VF-XF dates from the mid 1860s were $85. :o

Have owned the finest known 1871 but currently own only 4. 3 are CAC and one of those is the 1870-cc which I only got because the FIRST Carson City dollar has always struck my fancy.

But today's prices don't seem realistic considering actual rarity.

Or they are. :D
  • @Pyrite - You’ve been into SLDs for almost 50 years! Wow!!! I’m impressed. How in the world were you able to limit yourself to just 4 examples? I’m assuming you kept one from each branch mint? For what it’s worth I believe the 70cc $ to be one of the very few examples that an SLD may be priced above what it’s worth. Or at the very least has reached its potential in this market compared to other dates in the series.
  • edited August 2022
    Because I ...sold... all my babies.
    The 4 left are just hangers on. :D

Except the70-cc. That's a long loved issue. <3

I always get a hoot out of the guys who show their 78-cc as the FIRST cc dollar. :D
  • Pyrite said:

Luster said:

Pyrite said:

??

Oh, me too. Started them in the early 70''s when all was raw and VF-XF dates from the mid 1860s were $85. :o

Have owned the finest known 1871 but currently own only 4. 3 are CAC and one of those is the 1870-cc which I only got because the FIRST Carson City dollar has always struck my fancy.

But today's prices don't seem realistic considering actual rarity.

Or they are. :D
    Wow! I am impressed and would love to hear more stories about collecting seated dollars or just collecting in general from 50 years ago. I sure wish you had all your seated dollars from long ago and would love to see them today. Bet they were magnificent!
  • @Pyrite - I’d also love to here some of your favorite acquisition stories. Which one/ones do you miss the most? How did you divest? Was it profitable for you in the end? How close to complete was your set? Which dates were toughest for you to acquire? Did you build a set with PQ examples or not so much? What grade range did you prefer? Yes, lots of questions but Im an addict when it comes to SLDs and would really like to hear more!