CAC approved Seated Liberty Dollars - Page 6 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC approved Seated Liberty Dollars

Comments

• It’s illogical to me to seek a sticker for a low ball set. YMMV.
  • What if CAC did NOT endorse your PO01 coin? What does it mean when a coin is not solid for a poor 01 grade? :D

If CAC did not endorse his lowball it means two things. Less money when he goes to sell the coin. And less demand! Like any other grade all PO1s are not equal. Some are more eye appealing then others. Not everyone can afford to collect 5 and 6 figure coins. If your budget is 3 or 4 hundred bucks for a SLD needed for type. Then a nice P01 CAC might be a viable option.

I’m in the very small minority of collectors who will only buy coins that have been CAC approved. To make things harder, I am only interested in Seated Dollars. That goes for low balls through MS coins. I love them all. I don’t actively seek out lowballs but if I see one that is reasonably priced, I am happy to add to my SLD collection. If it’s not stickered by CAC I have no interest. My OCD won’t allow a CAC reject into my collection.
  • edited September 2022
    If that poor 01 seated quarter had failed to sticker, the surfaces may not have been original. 
       I have had a few coins not sticker and CAC told me the reason was that they were cleaned years ago.
       Luckily for you your coin stickered!
  • Both of you are spot on regarding why a low grade coin might not sticker. I typically don’t send lowball coins to CAC but this one was an exception. When I do send low value or lowball coins to CAC it’s usually because I’m sending a much pricier coin or two that I really want to pass so if the low grade / low value coins are nice enough then they go along as well. 

As a collector, I have a good rapport with JA and more importantly than CAC pass/fail is knowing the reason a coin fails. Every submission I send in I ask JA to provide an explanation for the coins that don’t pass and he tells me the reason. Here are the most common for coins I’ve sent in: Lightly Cleaned; Friction; PVC; Lacks Luster; Suspect Toning & Environment Damage.

The education I have received as a result has increased my success rate around 75 - 80% (for my coins, not the occasional I have sent in for other collectors); thus, I don’t buy the non-CAC coins with these issues as I have learned how to identify them.
  • Luster said:

MS65 CAC

Very pretty. Underrated. Great coin and thanks for sharing!
  • Nic said:

Luster said:

MS65 CAC

Very pretty. Underrated. Great coin and thanks for sharing!
    Thank you Nic. I agree that it is an underrated date to find nice in the series. At least it was a hard one for me to locate a nice example. I really like the copper/gold look of this one.
  • SeatedNut said:

A very tough date to find in quality and with a CAC sticker. Well done!
  • edited October 2022
    Very true. CAC pop shows 33 total. Thought it would be lower actually as I hardly ever see them. Hope you don't mind that I post mine. Purchased eight years ago with sticker added later.

• @Coinstein I agree that 33 seems like a large cac pop for the 1850o. Your VF30 looks incredible and is probably the nicest that exist for the grade. This is a date that has been over shadowed by all the more impossible dates in the 1850’s decade. 50o is definitely undervalued in AU50 and below with cac. I’ll buy all you can find at current cac price guide. The reason they never come up with cac is because collectors who know the series have gobbled them up. Once they are acquired collectors hold them near and dear. I know I’ve put away a couple and even if prices doubled or tripled they would not leave my bank box.
  • The Lorich study: Bruce Lorich, in The Gobrecht Journal; March 1979, noted that he had reviewed 100 years of auction appearances and concluded that Uncirculated 1850-O dollars appeared at auction less often than did 1844, 1848, 1851, 1852, 1859-S, 1870-CC, 1872-CC, 1872-S, and 1873-CC in the same grade. "In fact, in Uncirculated condition only four Liberty Seated dollar issues (out of the total of 45 struck) appeared at auction in my study, less often than the 1850-O. These were 1855, 1870-S, 1871-CC, and the non-existent 1873-S."

Lorich found three times as many Uncirculated 1846-O dollars (themselves rare) as 1850-Os, nine times as many Uncirculated 1859-O dollars, and eight times as many Uncirculated 1860-Os. Most of the auctions consulted occurred before the government released its silver dollar hoard in the early 1960s, meaning that 1859-O and 1860-O were relatively common in Mint State even before that time.
  • Great study, thanks for posting that. And to SeatedNut, I agree with it being overshadowed by many of 1850's dates, and undervalued as well, except in high AU and UNC. The Petty coin sold recently by Legend was a dream coin to me. I would take that over many other rarities. Seated dollar collectors are notorious for not letting go of choice duplicates, which is very frustrating since many of us need the tougher dates. I know of a few super choice key dates in grades that I need which are in other collector friends hands that I would give up my left nut for, but they will not part with them, and I have offered stupid money, believe me. Hard to blame them, as I am guilty of this as well because I would rather have the coin than the cash.
  • @Luster

Great information and thank you for sharing. Would be nice to see an updated study to see how it’s held up over the decades. Studies like that are great for getting a sense of what exist and what’s out there. The one thing it fails to address is the quality aspect. For this I like to look at the CAC population. Overall the 50o has a total of 33 that have earned stickers. That puts it in 24th place for overall rarity with a sticker. But closer inspection of the CAC report shows just 4 that have been approved at the MS level. So owning a CAC approved MS is certainly a treasure.

***The one that Legend recently sold from the Stephen Petty collection was killer!
  • Amazing collection of seated dollars!
  • @OldChelsea Your set is incredible. So many rare dates and almost all cac approved! How long did it take to get the set to this point?
  • Nice ‘69 dollar and some toning to boot!
  • Wow @SeatedNut. Incredible piece. PCGS Trueview looks good too.
  • I like this date as well. I remember paying up for mine years ago and now look at what they are bringing. (Note the rotated reverse). Coinrarities just sold a VF for nearly $1800.