20% Buyer Premium . Why would you consign ? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

20% Buyer Premium . Why would you consign ?

I’m wondering why anyone would place a consignment with an auctioneer that has a 20 % buyer premium.

I just sent close to 30 gold pieces to Great Collections this past week.  I feel their 10 % buyer premium is a comfortable rate .    I get more money from my consignments and buyers aren’t getting gouged.

If you consign at those places you are leaving a lot of money on the table.   

Most buyers think about that 20% and bid less in order to still get the item at a reasonable price when you add the BP.    

The seller is really getting reamed by those high BP fees.

What are you guys comfortable with paying as a buyer and how do you feel as a seller???

I know personally I will get out of the game if 20 % became the norm across the board.    As paying 20% BP is coming out of the money I could be getting for my items .

Thoughts ??

Comments

• As a buyer, the amount of fees makes no difference. Adjust bid accordingly.
    As a seller, the net amount received (ex-110% of hammer) can often be negotiated.
  • edited April 2022

Ultimately, the buyer's premium and the seller's commission rate don't matter nearly as much as what you, as a consignor net for your coins. Some sellers that offer lower commission rates don't typically achieve high enough prices to make their lower rates worthwhile.
  • MarkFeld said:
    Ultimately, the buyer's premium and the seller's commission rate don't matter nearly as much as what you, as a consignor net for your coins. Some sellers that offer lower commission rates don't typically achieve high enough prices to make their lower rates worthwhile.
     Hi Mark ,

I must say I have a lot of respect for you,  your accomplishments and contributions to Numismatics. 

With that being said , I’m sure what you say is true in many scenarios.   However when I compare several of the top players in the game I still have to come to the conclusion that I make out much better consigning with GC than I would consigning with the others .

I’ve bought and sold many coins over the last few years and I’ve compared past sales data from those that I could .   No matter how I slice it , I still come out ahead as a seller, in my case using Great Collections .   ( And they pay lightening fast compared to some others )

I started this thread not to pump up GC nor make disparaging remarks about others .   But merely because the math doesn’t make sense.    At 20% you’ll pretty much be upside down everytime as a seller.  

Most of my coins are of 5 digit value .  That extra 10% at Auctioneer A costs me $1,500 to $5,000 more out of my pocket than it does selling through GC.   I just can’t get my head around 20% .

That’s why I was wondering how fellow hobbyist and collectors felt about it .

And respectfully less interested in those that have a vested interest in that 20% 

Unless of course they would take the time to educate us or back up statements with real numbers .

Best Regards 

vincent 
  • MarkFeld said:

I am certain that it does have a psychological impact, though, and the average collector/hobbyist does consider the 10% vs. 20% Spread, and while I agree that there are some sellers offering lower commission rates that do not achieve the market status that HA and/or GC does, it would be very difficult to deny the conclusion that the OP is espousing, for the entity he is mentioning.
  • edited April 2022
    Good point Vincent - Me - I would not select that sell choice. I can’t speak for others - their material /call.  As buyer in that 20 pct BP situation I would simply adjust my bid 20 pct down.  The seller might  possibly do better shopping it around the bourse at a show.   At last show bought about a dozen slabs from walkup seller at my table my offer of 10 pct behind CDN Bid.  Mix of Walkers, Commems, Dollars.  Good deal for him vs rolling dice -  auc expenses/ juice. Got cash money right away too.

Every player in the game has their angle to work whether auctioneer, dealer on bourse, or investor liquidating their material.  It’s the seller decision decide which option execute based on type of material, etc:   Auction House, Bourse at Show , Shop Dealer, EBay Store / Auc.

I believe that a great choice (GC) Vincent on those gold coins.  They have been really bidding high there in this market.  I bid there occasionally (if not eBay) and those should do really well.  Not trashing other Auc houses just try keep it simple using one.  Plus was very strong Teletrader back in the day.  Ian does a really super job.

• MarkFeld said:

Hi Mark ,

I must say I have a lot of respect for you,  your accomplishments and contributions to Numismatics. 

With that being said , I’m sure what you say is true in many scenarios.   However when I compare several of the top players in the game I still have to come to the conclusion that I make out much better consigning with GC than I would consigning with the others .

I’ve bought and sold many coins over the last few years and I’ve compared past sales data from those that I could .   No matter how I slice it , I still come out ahead as a seller, in my case using Great Collections .   ( And they pay lightening fast compared to some others )

I started this thread not to pump up GC nor make disparaging remarks about others .   But merely because the math doesn’t make sense.    At 20% you’ll pretty much be upside down everytime as a seller.  

Most of my coins are of 5 digit value .  That extra 10% at Auctioneer A costs me $1,500 to $5,000 more out of my pocket than it does selling through GC.   I just can’t get my head around 20% .

That’s why I was wondering how fellow hobbyist and collectors felt about it .

And respectfully less interested in those that have a vested interest in that 20% 

Unless of course they would take the time to educate us or back up statements with real numbers .

Best Regards 

vincent 

Since you've had first-hand selling experiences, as long as you've researched competing prices realized and are confident that you're netting more the way you're doing things, I'm sure not going to suggest you make a change.

My original point stands however - what counts is what you net. And my observations are based on having been a consignor when I had my own business, as well as on working with consignors, now.
  • The recent Stack's auction of Fairmont Gold went really well with many world record prices obtained. Top collections do very well at Stack's, Heritage, Legend Auctions, etc.

Most GC offerings are not of the same caliber as those mentioned above.

Lower value coins sell near guide so you are correct, buyers figure that in their offering price. There is no way to compare high end coins that normally exceed guide. There is no way to look back and guess if the Fairmont gold would have set World Record after World record at a GC auction on a Sunday night.

You have made your mind up about GC and it sounds like you are happy. That is all that should matter for you. Maybe your 30 coins would have set records at one of the places mentioned above (if CAC stickered of course).
  • I also prefer GC. For both buying and selling. If the coin is over $1000 there's 0% commission. Only a $10 listing fee. Where else can you sell a $5000 coin for $10?
    AND Like @Vincent.Savage said, they pay really fast.
  • For the average collector, you can't beat GC IMO. Yes, if you're selling 6 and 7 figure coins, maybe not. But most collectors are not that 1% of the population.
  • I also prefer GC. :D

But in talking about buyer's fees. We put considerable thought into this prior to launching 11 years ago (almost to the day). I didn't want to come out with a teaser rate, and keep changing the fee structure. Despite keeping it at 10% for 11 years, we're still asked regularly when we're going to stop with the teaser rate. We have no plans to increase our buyer's fee. Our business scales well, and we're rewarded by an increase in business, not by raising our fees.

And btw - we know that bidders are willing to stretch on coins - and bid higher knowing that the auction house isn't getting 20% of it.

- Ian
  • JohnTCoin said:
    For the average collector, you can't beat GC IMO. Yes, if you're selling 6 and 7 figure coins, maybe not. But most collectors are not that 1% of the population.
    I agree, for the coins that I sell GC works very well for me.
  • edited April 2022
    I tried selling coins through Heritage several times, but they would never tell me what my sellers fee would be! 

• edited April 2022
    JohnTCoin said:
    For the average collector, you can't beat GC IMO. Yes, if you're selling 6 and 7 figure coins, maybe not. But most collectors are not that 1% of the population.

GC regularly sells 6 and 7 figure coins .  A few that come to mind are the recent 1932 $20 Bella Saint that went for $172,000 plus 10% BP ,  1857 S ss ca $20 that got over $210,000, the current 1908 nm $20 The Best One is approaching $200,000 , a $12 million flowing hair iirc and a $1.2 million penny etc 

I wonder how many of the consignments come from estates where the family took an attorneys advice to use those others .   And I suspect actual coin collectors hobbyist that are actively involved go to GC.   

Ian , wash the term “ teaser rate “ from your vocabulary .   You’ll be #1 soon enough with the current formula 

* As far as the 1% John mentions , I don’t see it.   They’d rather get an extra 10% out of their high dollar items.   And plenty of collectors with deep pockets search and bid at GC all the time !!
  • WilliamJ said:

I tried selling coins through Heritage several times, but they would never tell me what my sellers fee would be! 

I don’t know how you went about trying, but as long as we know the details of what a consignment would be, we quote a specific fee. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions,
  • For the record, Legend only charges 17.5% sellers fee and we have gorgeous hard bound catalogs.

The 20% sellers fee is a norm-its much worse outside of coins. In the end, its really not the 20% you should be concerned with, its the % YOU get. You think a million dollar coin pays a 20% fee? Today a big coin like that gets a 115% rate. You have to talk to your auction co when consigning.
  • edited April 2022
    JohnTCoin said:

GC regularly sells 6 and 7 figure coins .  A few that come to mind are the recent 1932 $20 Bella Saint that went for $172,000 plus 10% BP ,  1857 S ss ca $20 that got over $210,000, the current 1908 nm $20 The Best One is approaching $200,000 , a $12 million flowing hair iirc and a $1.2 million penny etc 

I wonder how many of the consignments come from estates where the family took an attorneys advice to use those others .   And I suspect actual coin collectors hobbyist that are actively involved go to GC.   

Ian , wash the term “ teaser rate “ from your vocabulary .   You’ll be #1 soon enough with the current formula 

* As far as the 1% John mentions , I don’t see it.   They’d rather get an extra 10% out of their high dollar items.   And plenty of collectors with deep pockets search and bid at GC all the time !!
    Do you or anyone else have any experience selling with David Lawrence Rare coins. How do their prices netted compare to GC auctions net price to the seller. I do like that there is no buyers premium. 
  • edited April 2022
    Do you want to sell one $100K coin or two hundred $500 coins? One hundred $1000 coins would have a good deal of leverage. With or without a reserve? Is it primarily eye candy? Beyond TPG census data, how much numismatic and historical knowledge is needed to more fully educate and inform prospective buyers?

If you've got a couple of hundred grand to sell per year, paying 10% is too much.

• JohnTCoin said:

The idea that GC "regularly" sells six and seven figure coins is erroneous. That would not be Ian's statement, and you do him a disservice by promoting for him what he may or may not intend to deliver.

Forgetting Heritage's lion's share of the overall auction market, I wouldn't be surprised if Stacks sold more six-figure coins last week than GC did all last year. Maneuvering on behalf of a over-exposed million-dollar rarity is a one-off, not a track record.

These comments are not intended as negatives about GC. I'm noting the lack of proportionality in another observer's statement of positives. Using the VIP (Million Dollar annual sales) commission matrix at both HA and Stacks has informed me others can get much the same with less volume.
  • So, you are basically stating what Ms. Sperber stated, in a different manner and slightly more confusing than her comment.

You VIPs, you......always mit the big woids.....
  • edited April 2022
    When Laurie talks, some collectors listen. But she lacks nuance. And her self-interest is obvious. She does know much of what she does know very well. Sometimes, recently, more than I. When I talk, even industry giants sometimes still pay attention. I've worked and thrived in a much broader deeper market than she does.

Big words ?????
This discussion has been closed.