Origins of A, B, C theory of CAC coins — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Origins of A, B, C theory of CAC coins

We all know that CAC coins are considered to be more valuable than coins without. However the Redbook advertisement for CAC is explicit in saying CAC does not add value. It clearly states that CAC improves liquidity.

With that being said my impression of CAC has more to do with the original intention, liquidity. In other words, green stickers indicate a coin that CAC will purchase, having past approval by CAC. CAC knows it is a coin that will sell.

Gold stickers indicate a coin that is exceptional for the grade, but not just that...it indicates a gorgeous coin that CAC wants in their inventory for sure, knowing it will fetch a profit.

So what are the origins of the A, B, C explanation for stickers? It makes less sense to me, but I realize I am in a tiny minority.

Comments

• edited April 2022
    I think it’s simpler than many make it out to be: A/high-end; B/mid-range; C/low-end. Or said another way: A/shot at the next grade up; B/solid for the grade; C/shot at next grade down.

Not all gold-stickered coins are gorgeous, and there’s no way to know if they’ll fetch a profit, without first knowing their cost.
  • A-mazing
    B-etter than most
    C-rummy

???????????? :D
  • Pyrite said:
    A-mazing B-etter than most C-rummy ???????????? :D
    I like the first 2…but for “C
    C-ould be better
  • nalmeter said:

Pyrite said:

A-mazing
    B-etter than most
    C-rummy

???????????? :D

I like the first 2…but for “C
    C-ould be better

But B isn’t really better than “most”. It’s better than “some”, while A is better than “most”.
  • MarkFeld said:

I think it’s simpler than many make it out to be: A/low-end; B/mid-range; C/high-end. Or said another way: A/shot at the next grade down; B/solid for the grade; C/shot at next grade up.

I think you got that backwards, right?

Also, gold stickers mean that the coin is, according to CAC, very solidly at least one point higher.

• oldHolder said:

We all know that CAC coins are considered to be more valuable than coins without. However the Redbook advertisement for CAC is explicit in saying CAC does not add value. It clearly states that CAC improves liquidity.

Yes, CAC improved liquidity for PQ coins by giving more buyers the confidence to pay PQ prices for the right coins. But that new demand also led to higher prices, even if that was not the intent.

• MarkFeld said:

I think it’s simpler than many make it out to be: A/low-end; B/mid-range; C/high-end. Or said another way: A/shot at the next grade down; B/solid for the grade; C/shot at next grade up.

I think you got that backwards, right?

Also, gold stickers mean that the coin is, according to CAC, very solidly at least one point higher.

I sure did write that backwards and have since edited it. Thanks!
  • "With that being said my impression of CAC has more to do with the original intention, liquidity. In other words, green stickers indicate a coin that CAC will purchase, having past approval by CAC. CAC knows it is a coin that will sell.

Perhaps there is more to it. ANY COIN WILL SELL if the PRICE is "right."

So...we are back to trying to put a value on a coin regardless of the grade on the slab.