Looking for info on Harry W. Bass — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Looking for info on Harry W. Bass

edited April 2022 in General
If his gold and pattern collection is forthcoming now with the announcement that his collection is going to be sold. I am aware that there are some coins out there with his name/provenance on the holder from years gone by (ie in older holders), how and when and whom were involved in selling them for him?

Comments

• I remember studying the original Bass sale by Heritage back in 1999.. I think it was the FUN show. I eveb dropped a few of his fabulous coins. Thank goodness the viewing room was carpeted!
  • The Bass Collection, Part I, was largely a bunch of spectacular patterns and paper currency, Bowers and Merena, May 1999. Part II contained most of the gold coins. Auction sale conducted by Bowers and Merena, October 2–4, 1999. An "AU58 PCGS" 1815 half eagle brought $103,500, and an 1829 Large Planchet half eagle MS65 PCGS, Ex: Col. Green-King Farouk, brought $241,500. Prices are absurdly cheap today.
  • The Bass Auctions 1=4 were held by Bowers and Merena in 1999 and 2000. A later smaller Bass 5 sale occurred, by Stacks-Bowers in 2011, I believe.
  • The above is correct. PDF versions of the catalogues are available on the Stacks website.
  • Unfortunately I cannot find the Stack Bowers 1999 auction archives on their website.
    But thank you anyways.
  • If you want to view the auction catalogs, they are on the Newman Numismatic Portal.
  • Thank you I will check there, my only frustration is that it is a terribly organized website with phenomenal info hidden within. Its the best site for content, and the worst site for form.
    Thanks again, don't know why I didn't think of it, wait I know, because its such a mess to find anything.;)
  • @Realone,
    Stacks website. Go to Auctions dropdown. Click catalog library. Under search type harry w. bass. It will bring up all five sales.
  • Lot 1258
    1892cc $5
    AU58 raw. Ex Norweb.
  • edited April 2022
    Nic said:

Lot 1258
    1892cc $5
    AU58 raw. Ex Norweb.

Are you saying my piece is also Ex:Norweb Nic? If so which catalog is it in and thank you for your research!
  • OK Nic I found it, and thanks for the help with Stacks' Catalog Archives, a great source of info. From the Harry W. Bass Jr. Part 2 Sale Oct 2-4 1999 catalog of course having his gold coins:
    "Lot 1258 1892-cc AU58. From our sale of the Norweb Collection> Plenty of Lustre remains on orange-gold surfaces.
    From our sale of the Norweb Collection Part I Oct 1987 Lot931: Ex New Netherlands Coin Co sale of the Peake Collection June 1955 Lot 403".
    This is exciting stuff for me!
  • Realone said:
    OK Nic I found it, and thanks for the help with Stacks' Catalog Archives, a great source of info. From the Harry W. Bass Jr. Part 2 Sale Oct 2-4 1999 catalog of course having his gold coins: "Lot 1258 1892-cc AU58. From our sale of the Norweb Collection> Plenty of Lustre remains on orange-gold surfaces. From our sale of the Norweb Collection Part I Oct 1987 Lot931: Ex New Netherlands Coin Co sale of the Peake Collection June 1955 Lot 403". This is exciting stuff for me!
    Love discovering lost provenance!
  • That is exciting! Now I am jealous, but happy that you know some history behind your coin!
  • WilliamJ said:

That is exciting! Now I am jealous, but happy that you know some history behind your coin!

Funny, maybe its just me but I would have put the Norweb pedigree on the piece rather than Bass. Nothing against Mr Bass, but isn't the Norweb name a lot more significant?
  • I consider Norweb a  top notch pedigree!
    However, I like both names. Too bad they both are not on the holder. The two names together would be a bonus!!

• edited April 2022
    WilliamJ said:

I consider Norweb a  top notch pedigree!
    However, I like both names. Too bad they both are not on the holder. The two names together would be a bonus!!

Agreed, I wondered that myself. Maybe ANACS had a policy of only one name, who knows.
    Typically when a great pedigree owned a coin there was a darn good reason, in this case it was in Bass' main set as well as Norweb, so it had to be nice, and I can attest it is vastly unergraded and clean (not cleaned) and although I am ignorant of gold coins I did notice on Coinfacts that most of the ms 1892-cc's were super ugly and that this one was almost the nicest sans the luster needed for a high ms designation. Those older great collectors sure had great eyes.
  • I would like both names on that holder as well. I think the modern custom of reholdering with your own special label (Pogue and Simpson and Hansen are the most prominent current examples) and removing the past provenance is an ego-driven shame. 
  • Do you think "Ptolemy II" on a label could confer a Pharaoh provenance? ;)
  • Pyrite said:

Do you think "Ptolemy II" on a label could confer a Pharaoh provenance? ;)

LOL, or "Know it ALL" might work too. ;)