1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle

edited December 2021 in Gold Coins

This is "the crown jewel of my collection," my most valuable coin. It was last coin I needed to complete my type set from the half cent to the St. Gaudens $20 gold piece.

Looking back over the history of this piece, I know that it was in an NGC MS-61 holder before it was in this MS-62 holder. This only shows how fluid grading can be. I paid about the same price for it at auction as it went for when it was an MS-61. I imagine that the really tough grades might call it an AU-58, but try and find one like this in an AU-58 holder. With an estimated population of 125 pieces there are not that many nice ones available.

David Bowers called it "one of the best examples of our time." That might be a little auction catalog hype, and given the pieces I have seen, it's probably in the top 15 of not a little better.

Tagged:

Comments

• That is a beautiful piece and would be the "crown jewel" in most collections. It may have CAC'ed at MS61, but I'm not sure if it would CAC at the MS62. It does prove that grading is fluid, even with upper level coins where more time is taken to grade given the value of the coin. She is a beauty for sure.

Thanks for sharing the story behind it.

Donato

• A beauty! thanks for posting

• edited December 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Incredible coin, thanks for sharing.  
  • Very nice Bill!