Turnaround time... Just had some coins sent to CAC... — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Turnaround time... Just had some coins sent to CAC...

I usually have it done through the auction houses when I am selling stuff... This time I sent in just for my own edification.. What is a typical turnaround time from coins arrival to shipping?

Just wondering

Comments

• My guess is about 1 1/2 weeks.
  • edited April 2022
    I’m sure when submissions resumed on April 7th, CAC was flooded. Now that 3-1/2 weeks have passed, I too am curious for submissions received NOW, what that turnaround time is expected to be. It would be nice if @MarkFeld is correct.

Steve
  • Thank you both.
      Wine the 74 IHC is included with this grouping.
     As well as some old holder Gold and some mid unc old holder Buffalo's.  
      Like I said it is the 1st submission not done, for me, by an auction house.
  • I just sent my first batch of coins in since CAC has reopened. I figured that they would be real busy for awhile. My coins are still in the mail heading in there direction. Hopefully the turn around time is close to normal.
  • CAC was working on the 20th on Friday, so more or less back to 7 business days for turnaround
  • CAC_Team said:

CAC was working on the 20th on Friday, so more or less back to 7 business days for turnaround

Fantastic!

Were any structural actions taken to try to maintain that seven day or so processing time, or do you feel that over time, due to the deserved popularity of CAC, that the turnaround times will lengthen?

Steve
  • CAC_Team said:
    CAC was working on the 20th on Friday, so more or less back to 7 business days for turnaround
    Absolutely boss!
  • Hard to predict. We can comfortably ship about 11k coins per month , 500 coins daily.  At the moment we have a backlog of about 4K coins so 8 working days of work in our possession.  If we receive 2,000 coins this coming week, the backlog would drop to 3,000. ( 6 days of production) .  We haven’t made any operational changes to increase production   
  • Thanks for the peek “behind the curtain”.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Steve
  • JACAC said:
    Hard to predict. We can comfortably ship about 11k coins per month , 500 coins daily.  At the moment we have a backlog of about 4K coins so 8 working days of work in our possession.  If we receive 2,000 coins this coming week, the backlog would drop to 3,000. ( 6 days of production) .  We haven’t made any operational changes to increase production   
    Wow! That is a lot of coins. Tough for me to comprehend how you handle them all.
  • JACAC said:
    Hard to predict. We can comfortably ship about 11k coins per month , 500 coins daily.  At the moment we have a backlog of about 4K coins so 8 working days of work in our possession.  If we receive 2,000 coins this coming week, the backlog would drop to 3,000. ( 6 days of production) .  We haven’t made any operational changes to increase production   
    Assuming 8 hours of continuous “observing/grading” per day, that’s 1.04 coins per minute.  A well-oiled machine you got going to keep that pace.  Quite impressive!

• Thank you @JACAC for the insight. I can confirm, having a 69 coin sub go through in a week and a half, that turnaround is about 1.5 weeks in house. That sub was 32 out of 69 beans -- good success in my opinion.
  • i am interested to understand the 500 coins per day @CAC_Team and @JACAC throughput in more detail if possible

i have been wondering if any of the coins that have previously been submitted (and rejected for a sticker) are simply screened by their cert # in a "special" db lookup that the public can't access but those on the inside can quickly determine that the coin does not really need to be viewed again

obviously, if a coin is explicitly requested as a resubmit, then i expect the "normal" time to sticker or reject again will apply

basically, i imagine that of the 500 coins per day, some percentage are placed in a "return back" queue without taking additional time to actually look closely at it

i appreciate any additional coins per day throughput (p50 / p90 / p95 / p99) production information that you are willing to calculate and whether a significant percentage of coins are placed in the outgoing queue rather quickly due to resubmit rates

thank you so much!