Is This a Record: 4.5 Months to Deliver a Registered Package? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Is This a Record: 4.5 Months to Deliver a Registered Package?

In November 2020, our firm sent a Registered envelope containing a CAC coin to a destination exactly 20.5 miles away, as per Google. It arrived 4.5 months later. Yes, 4.5 MONTHS!

We attribute this absurdly long delay to our use of a small envelope instead of a HUGE box as I recommended in an earlier thread. Post offices hate having space hogs in their safes, security cages, and locked offices, so large boxes invariably make Registered Mail travel much faster in our experience.

We mistakenly assumed that we could let our guard down for a mere local shipment. After all, earlier in that same year the transit time for another Registered envelope sent 22 miles in the opposite direction was but 21 HOURS.

For the missing envelope, we filed an insurance claim with USPS 14 days after shipment and received a reimbursement check four months later, the day after the package was finally delivered. We returned the check to USPS with a sarcastic note thanking them for their prompt delivery.

This year, all of our Registered mailings have arrived in one to six days except one that took eight. All were large boxes. Coincidence?

(Upon request, I will provide the mod with the tracking number and documentation via private message).

Comments

• @ptolemyll: We respect anyone's wish for anonymity and ask that everyone else does the same
  • My last package to GC took about 3 weeks! I mailed another registered box to CAC the same day and it only took one week! Both about equal value and distance. I was really starting to wonder? There was not much tracking info, usually it only takes about one week?  
         This is my new record. I sure would hate to loose $5,000! 
  • I now send all my coins by Fed Ex. I pay for 3-day delivery and they usually arrive in 2 days.
  • edited May 2022

I now send all my coins by Fed Ex. I pay for 3-day delivery and they usually arrive in 2 days.

I’ve also had great success over the years with FedEx (so far). I have a phenomenal Corporate rate, so I only use FedEx Priority Overnight, signature required. Including no charge for arranging for the pick up, it cost me only $15 if a FedEx Envelope, cross country, or $25 for a FedEx Box. This service level arrives by 12 noon the next business day.

For safety, I never ship on a Friday.

Steve
  • I now send all my coins by Fed Ex. I pay for 3-day delivery and they usually arrive in 2 days.

I’ve also had great success over the years with FedEx (so far). I have a phenomenal Corporate rate, so I only use FedEx Priority Overnight, signature required. Including no charge for arranging for the pick up, it cost me only $15 if a FedEx Envelope, cross country, or $25 for a FedEx Box. This service level arrives by 12 noon the next business day.

Steve
    Do the two of you have coin insurance policies that cover such shipments?
  • edited May 2022
    I have a private insurance policy (a flat annual fee) that covers up to $60,000 in coins (but not gold coins), as long as a signature is required upon delivery. In the rare event I ship gold, I use a different company that charges me a fee per shipment, based on the value. Not too cheap, but since I’ve completed my Gold Type Set, I’m no longer shipping gold.

You must exist in a different universe. Fed Ex often delivers my packages to neighbors and forges my signature. Luckily for me, all of the neighbors have handed them to me.

In fairness to Fed Ex, our big city addresses are very confusing. But that still does not excuse forgery!
  • I have a private insurance policy (a flat annual fee) that covers up to $60,000 in coins (but not gold coins), as long as a signature is required upon delivery. In the rare event I ship gold, I use a different company that charges me a fee per shipment, based on the value. Not too cheap, but since I’ve completed my Gold Type Set, I’m no longer shipping gold.

Your insurance company may weasel out of paying should you not follow the letter of their shipping and packaging requirements.
  • Thanks for your advice, it's appreciated, but I'm comfortable that I'm meeting their shipping and packaging requirements.
  • Regarding insurance for Fed Ex, when I ship I self-insure or the recipient pays (when I’m consigning coins to auction). When I am the recipient, the shipper covers the insurance.
  • UPDATE: Due to the disbelief expressed hereon, I emailed a copy of the Registered Mail receipt to CAC_Team. Yep, it actually happened: 4.5 months to travel 20.5 miles.

But the longest transit time for any of my firm's other Registered mailings still holds at 13 days, out of untold thousands sent.

Has anyone else experienced unusually long delays when using Registered Mail? Does anyone else even use it? If not, you should consider using it due to its extreme safety. David Akers of Paramount International Coin stated that his firm had never lost a Registered mailing out of MILLIONS sent!

If you are concerned about transit delays with this service, please refer to my prior thread for tips on how to greatly speed it up.

Steve
    I've heard people taking this precaution more and more. Statistically speaking, thefts tend to occur more often over the weekend.
  • I bought a rare hard times token on eBay 5/22, it was mailed from Argentina 5/24 and delivered to me in an LA CA suburb 5/27. That’s faster than local mail!
  • I've noticed that Reggies insured for high value amounts tend to move along faster...