A 1797, 16 star LM-3 or Valentine 3 Half Dime — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

A 1797, 16 star LM-3 or Valentine 3 Half Dime

edited December 2021 in Silver Coins

I have been fascinated by the early half dimes since I was a teenager. I couldn't afford them until I got my first job after I graduated from college, but I was still interested in them. I now have a complete "Red Book" set, minus the 1802, which is a bedeviling, expensive coin.

I view this 1797 with the 16 stars as my best example of the Draped Bust, Small Eagle design, which is a very tough type coin. I have one that is graded NGC AU-58, CAC, but I like this one more. It is net graded to AU-53. The coin has AU-58 sharpness, but my perception is that the scratch on the bust lowered it by 5 points. No matter. You often can't get details as good as this on a Mint State piece because the early mint issued a great many poorly struck examples.

Here is the NGC AU-58, CAC coin. It's only real sin is that it is slightly bent in the area of "E" in :"UNITED" on the reverse. It also not quite as sharp. To put things in perspective, I paid twice as much for this 1796 coin than I did for the 1797 coin. That might have some influence over my preferences. The 1796 is also a better date. There are many clash marks in the obverse fields.

Now that I have opened up the copper, silver and gold coin categories, perhaps others will want to join in.

Comments