More CAC Results — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

More CAC Results

edited May 2022 in Grading
Certain dealers whom I know are suspicious of almost all auction coins, thinking them blatantly or subtly problematic.

Every one of these 36 coins recently came from one of the big four auction houses. Nothing valuable, as our firm will retail the whole group for around $80,000, which is not even the cost of one of many of Legend's recently auctioned pieces.

But 11 of the 36 beaned. So much for the theory that auction houses send in every $1,000-plus coin. For two of the coins, I requested gold stickers but had to settle for greens.

I wish that I knew CAC's formula. To me, it is more valuable than the recipe for KFC Original.

Regardless of the approval percentage, sending coins to CAC is the most fun that I have ever had gambling on anything.

By the way, the nine business day turnaround is quite respectable compared to that of the TPG's.

Comments

• Nice results, thank you for posting. I am always curious about CAC results. I have a tough time with a few types and a few grades. I find MS  61 coins tough to receive a sticker.
  • edited May 2022
    WilliamJ said:

….I have a tough time with a few types and a few grades. I find MS  61 coins tough to receive a sticker.

While MS61 coins (and MS60 as well) may be tough to sticker, they’re also often tough on the eyes too, lol, having been “beaten up”. I believe many collectors are correct as they feel that for a few dollars less, coins graded AU58 as a generalization have much nicer eye appeal, and tend to be easier to sticker than 60’s or 61’s.

With that said, for my four coin Twenty Cent business strike set, I picked up (as a filler as I wait to find the right coin in a higher grade with a CAC) an 1876 MS61. There are 63 coins in this date graded MS61 (28 by PCGS and 35 by NGC), but this is the ONLY one with a CAC!

The coin in hand looks even nicer than the photos:

Steve
  • edited May 2022
    wtf? I am only responding because the word d*($& is used in the thread title. I used the word innocently when opining on the Balt. Show and in a complementary nature, and poof...

Another member here used it a few weeks ago and wam*#'bam...gone.

I am assuming that it is an IT thing, that flags the word when used in comment, but is not set up to auto-murder if used in the thread title?

Anyway; ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA!!!.

Otherwise, I am going to d(&#@ this thread every darn day.
  • john said:

wtf? I am only responding because the word dreck is used in the thread title. I used the word innocently when opining on the Balt. Show and in a complementary nature, and poof...

Another member here used it a few weeks ago and wam*#'bam...gone.

I am assuming that it is an IT thing, that flags the word when used in comment, but is not set up to auto-murder if used in the thread title?

Anyway; ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA!!!.

Otherwise, I am going to dreck this thread every darn day.

But some dealers and even collectors believe that if a coin was so wonderful, it would be sold sight-seen at a shop or show. Thus, they think that coins dumped in auctions must have problem(s) such as hidden marks or hairlines; deceptive doctoring like laser smoothing, microscopic re-engraving, or artificial toning; or the like.

Most dealers maintain customer want lists, so one might think that truly choice coins get snatched up immediately. Our firm does not even need to advertise many high quality coins because we have want list buyers for them.
  • edited May 2022
    Please no d word on the forum, thanks.
  • edited May 2022
    @CACfan This information is useless without knowing the grades and services of the coins. When you call it gambling, it diminishes the process. I know, I used to play the same game. But I used what is also the CAC "formula". I look at coins with a skeptical and battle-hardened eye. Your formula (Colonel Sanders will rest easy tonight) is to throw spaghetti up against the wall and see what sticks. On a cost basis of just under $2,000 per coin. That's a bunch of really good hits on coins bought with such seemingly small expectations. As a businessman, I salute you. At a grading cost of $576, I know a result of that size package and average worth is worth likely $5000 overall in increases over already locked-in profits on the ones that worked. And that's at 31%. This is data even a numismatic blind squirrel can appreciate :p You have made your quasi-useful point. The good news for the rest of us submitters (waiting in line) is that it takes a lot less time for CAC to reject most coins than to accept one.

But as someone who likes to inspect and analyze data before he decides on its utility, such simplistic and incomplete information makes your report a waste of time. It lacks critical details.
  • edited May 2022
    The term dreck has been declared unutterable on this Forum. Thank you @CAC_Team o:)

This rule was established in its early days when Laura Sperber of Legend, who introduced this word into the numismatic lexicon as a classification of being of quality insufficient to satisfy her market goals, used it in advertising. Her continued insistence on using this pejorative, the Yiddish work for feces, appeared to entitle others to use this term: to normalize it. Enough peoples' stomachs were turned that awareness was raised. Her lack of nuance was, to this seasoned observer, astonishing. She makes many people upset, but likely more happy. ROFLMAO

Having been around Yiddish speakers since birth, I can tell you the term is never used without a snarl imbedded in it.
  • ….I have a tough time with a few types and a few grades. I find MS  61 coins tough to receive a sticker.
    While MS61 coins (and MS60 as well) may be tough to sticker, they’re also often tough on the eyes too, lol, having been “beaten up”. I believe many collectors are correct as they feel that for a few dollars less, coins graded AU58 as a generalization have much nicer eye appeal, and tend to be easier to sticker than 60’s or 61’s. With that said, for my four coin Twenty Cent business strike set, I picked up (as a filler as I wait to find the right coin in a higher grade with a CAC) an 1876 MS61. There are 63 coins in this date graded MS61 (28 by PCGS and 35 by NGC), but this is the ONLY one with a CAC! The coin in hand looks even nicer than the photos: Steve
    That is one of the very few ms 61 coins that I have ever seen, and perhaps the best!
    Where is a good source for complete up to date population reports? 
  • WilliamJ said:

WilliamJ said:

….I have a tough time with a few types and a few grades. I find MS  61 coins tough to receive a sticker.

While MS61 coins (and MS60 as well) may be tough to sticker, they’re also often tough on the eyes too, lol, having been “beaten up”. I believe many collectors are correct as they feel that for a few dollars less, coins graded AU58 as a generalization have much nicer eye appeal, and tend to be easier to sticker than 60’s or 61’s.

With that said, for my four coin Twenty Cent business strike set, I picked up (as a filler as I wait to find the right coin in a higher grade with a CAC) an 1876 MS61. There are 63 coins in this date graded MS61 (28 by PCGS and 35 by NGC), but this is the ONLY one with a CAC!

The coin in hand looks even nicer than the photos:

Steve

That is one of the very few ms 61 coins that I have ever seen, and perhaps the best!

That was probably graded when they put a 64 on my Seated Dollar that ended up a 66 CAC!

:#

• edited May 2022
    WilliamJ said:

I say:
    Thanks. While the link posted by @Catbert is accurate as PCGS CoinFacts shows Pop data, a more useful way of getting pop data for PCGS is to just go to their home page, and at the very top click on Pop Report. For NGC, from their home page go to the “hamburger” menu in the upper left corner, go to “Resources”, then to NGC Census. These sites are updated daily. However, pop results are mostly artificially too high, due to crack outs that get resubmitted.

Steve
  • Thank you! I will try it out. I wasn't sure if the newly stickered CAC coins would show up  or not?
  • Keep in mind neither PCGS or NGC track CAC pops, even though they each recognize individual coins with CAC’s for their Registries. To see CAC pops, go to the CAC home page, and click on “Pop/Price Report” on the very top right of the home page.

Steve
  • Keep in mind neither PCGS or NGC track CAC pops, even though they each recognize individual coins with CAC’s for their Registries. To see CAC pops, go to the CAC home page, and click on “Pop/Price Report” on the very top right of the home page. Steve

Ahhh!!!  That is where I am having trouble trying to figure out what is stickered ... thank you, thank you very much!
  • My pleasure.

Steve