Should JA automatically gold sticker a coin that is verified having agreen sticker at a higher grade - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Should JA automatically gold sticker a coin that is verified having agreen sticker at a higher grade

Comments

• edited May 2022
    TurtleCat said:

I didn't know Bausch & Lombe did phones :)

They don't do stickers either, wiseass :#
    Pyrite said:

It's scratched. :|

Those are on your eyeballs o:)
  • As I understand it, a gold sticker means the coin is under graded. We all know that under graded coins eventually get snatched up by the sharks-of-the-bourse and correctly graded. That makes gold stickered coins rare! They would not be if if someone wanted to flood CAC with under graded coins to form a gold sticker collection. IMO, there is nothing wrong with doing this and CAC would be doing nothing wrong by DOING WHAT THEY SAY THEY DO to get a gold sticker. So, while gold stickers are presently rare, I should rather have a coin in a gold sticker slab because EVERYONE can see what the coin actually is. Grade the coin, not the label or its sticker.
  • Forgive my forwardness, but your opinion is lacking in logic, and more particularly contradicts itself 3 times.

You are a TPG Grader. Is this the methodology you personally or TPG entity choice method use to evaluate a piece for a Grade?
  • Insider3 said:

As I understand it, a gold sticker means the coin is under graded. We all know that under graded coins eventually get snatched up by the sharks-of-the-bourse and correctly graded. That makes gold stickered coins rare! They would not be if if someone wanted to flood CAC with under graded coins to form a gold sticker collection. IMO, there is nothing wrong with doing this and CAC would be doing nothing wrong by DOING WHAT THEY SAY THEY DO to get a gold sticker. So, while gold stickers are presently rare, I should rather have a coin in a gold sticker slab because EVERYONE can see what the coin actually is. Grade the coin, not the label or its sticker.

Extremely doubtful when CAC has over 14 years reviewed 1.5M coins and only gold stickered 7,753 (.5%). I doubt anyone can or will "flood" CAC with undergraded coins to obtain gold stickers in any meaningful numbers. Bad take Insider.
  • My wife says I have poor communication skills and these posts prove she must be correct.
    john said:

Forgive my forwardness, but your opinion is lacking in logic, and more particularly contradicts itself 3 times.

You are a TPG Grader. Is this the methodology you personally or TPG entity choice method use to evaluate a piece for a Grade?

I like your forwardness. Remember, I'm not as smart as you so I don't understand what you wrote. Lacking in logic and 3 contradictions? Just in case there are more like me reading your comment would you please take the time to clarify what you wrote with examples?
    Catbert said:

Insider3 said:

As I understand it, a gold sticker means the coin is under graded. We all know that under graded coins eventually get snatched up by the sharks-of-the-bourse and correctly graded. That makes gold stickered coins rare! They would not be if if someone wanted to flood CAC with under graded coins to form a gold sticker collection. IMO, there is nothing wrong with doing this and CAC would be doing nothing wrong by DOING WHAT THEY SAY THEY DO to get a gold sticker. So, while gold stickers are presently rare, I should rather have a coin in a gold sticker slab because EVERYONE can see what the coin actually is. Grade the coin, not the label or its sticker.

Extremely doubtful when CAC has over 14 years reviewed 1.5M coins and only gold stickered 7,753 (.5%). I doubt anyone can or will "flood" CAC with under
    graded coins to obtain gold stickers in any meaningful numbers. Bad take Insider.
    There are 7000+ gold stickered coins. Would you rather have a 1903 $20 in an MS-65 PCGS slab with a green bean OR the identical 1903 $20 in a PCGS MS-64 or 64* slab with a gold sticker.

This is either a yes, no, or a no reply answer (crickets) answer. After that anything you add is great. However, without posting either yes or no first....that would be a really, really bad take. :)

I'd take the slab with the under graded $20 and the gold bean all day long.

• Irrelevant challenge. I'll take the gold, yet you missed my rebuttal. There will not be any flooding of CAC with bunches of undergraded coins. 7,000 coins over 14 years is miniscule and will not change significantly even if someone had a few undergraded coins ready to go.
  • Catbert said:

Irrelevant challenge. I'll take the gold, yet you missed my rebuttal. There will not be any flooding of CAC with bunches of undergraded coins. 7,000 coins over 14 years is miniscule and will not change significantly even if someone had a few undergraded coins ready to go.

Thanks for the straight answer. We agree on 1/2 of the post. Both of us would like an obvious under graded coin with the gold bean - the MS-65 with a 64 label.

I agree on your second part. Most folks want a coin that is correctly graded with a green bean. So, under graded coins with a gold bean will always be rare and desirable to many collectors. You and I are just two of them. :)
  • Insider3 said:
    Irrelevant challenge. I'll take the gold, yet you missed my rebuttal. There will not be any flooding of CAC with bunches of undergraded coins. 7,000 coins over 14 years is miniscule and will not change significantly even if someone had a few undergraded coins ready to go.
    Thanks for the straight answer. We agree on 1/2 of the post. Both of us would like an obvious under graded coin with the gold bean - the MS-65 with a 64 label. I agree on your second part. Most folks want a coin that is correctly graded with a green bean. So, under graded coins with a gold bean will always be rare and desirable to many collectors. You and I are just two of them. :)
    The only thing that is rare is the gold sticker. The most important thing is the coin. I would only pay a modest premium for a gold sticker. I rather have a green sticker coin that is correctly graded than overpay too much for the gold sticker. At the end of the day I am buying and enjoying the coin not the label. Nice collectible the gold, but I am viewing the coin mainly not a sticker. 
  • I guess in theory, yes. I would surmise that the coin would be reviewed to verify the grade is still where it should be and the new label is correct. Mistakes do happen from all sides.
  • Stevie said:

Insider3 said:

Catbert said:

Thanks for the straight answer. We agree on 1/2 of the post. Both of us would like an obvious under graded coin with the gold bean - the MS-65 with a 64 label.

I agree on your second part. Most folks want a coin that is correctly graded with a green bean. So, under graded coins with a gold bean will always be rare and desirable to many collectors. You and I are just two of them. :)

The only thing that is rare is the gold sticker. The most important thing is the coin. I would only pay a modest premium for a gold sticker. I rather have a green sticker coin that is correctly graded than overpay too much for the gold sticker. At the end of the day I am buying and enjoying the coin not the label. Nice collectible the gold, but I am viewing the coin mainly not a sticker. 

I think I am saying the same thing. The gold sticker is very rare. Anyone can see that the coin is under graded In the slab. That's the coin part. An MS-65 coin worth MS-65 money all day long in a slab labeled at a lower grade. What counts is the gold sticker. I'd bet that a MS-65 coin with a 64 label and a gold sticker would bring more at auction than the identical coin in a MS-65 slab with a green sticker. If so, and it seems that both you and I would prefer the former, it should make more sense to keep an under graded coin in its original slab (hopping for the gold bean) than to crack it out and get it graded correctly. I've written my opinion. This is all a fantasy anyway.
  • Sorry Stevie I was replying as if you were Catbert. I really don't know what choice you would make.
  • Insider3 said:
    Sorry Stevie I was replying as if you were Catbert. I really don't know what choice you would make.
    No problem. I prefer the gold sticker if it isn’t priced too much over market value. Otherwise I am happy to own a eye appealing correctly graded green sticker at a fair price. Point is gold label is nice to own  but the coin is still the main consideration for me.
    I bid tonight on a 1938 D Buffalo in MS 65 gold rattler. Fabulous looking coin but the gold sticker and rattler combination threw the price crazy. Dropped out at $200, went for $432, wow.

• Is something new going on? I got this thread in my email like it was a new "educational" CAC forum.
    Also now I see a red "3" beside my name in the opening page.
    ????????/
  • edited May 2022
    Oh I see what you mean. These kick backs happen from time to time though I have disabled all e-mail notifications.. If this reply triggers it once more then I would say that is pretty conclusive. Not sure why that happens, though.

edit: the only member-side way to fix this seems to be through editing your notification preferences on your avatar.

edit2: getting rid of some of our posts here
  • Just edited the only notification that had "send email" checked. Will watch and see.
  • Pyrite said:
    Is something new going on? I got this thread in my email like it was a new "educational" CAC forum. Also now I see a red "3" beside my name in the opening page. ????????/
    I think the red 3 means that you have 3 notifications, either someone mentioned you in their response, emailed you or replied to one of your threads.
      It always done that for me. 
  • Yep. The email was the really new thing. Thanks for note.
  • If a CAC stickered coin down crosses by one grade I would not expect it to automatically receive a gold sticker, and would assume a gold sticker would probably be unlikely unless it was very strong for the original grade. For example, if and NGC45 CAC half eagle down crosses to a 40, I would think a green bean is more than likely. But if it down crosses to a 35 or lower I would think there would be a good shot at a gold sticker. Does anybody have enough experience crossing to confirm or deny these general expectations?
  • I would think that what I think doesn't mean a whole lot. ;)
  • Opinions can change over time, and there is much subjectivity. I would not assume a gold sticker.