Price differences between CAC coins of the same grade. — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Price differences between CAC coins of the same grade.

I attended the 2022 TNA Coin and Currency Show today in Arlington, Texas. I found three 1893 P Morgan Dollars graded MS 64 with CAC green stickers. All were nice coins, but one stood out from the other two. It was priced over $1,000.00 more than the other two. I realize that within the same grade certain CAC approved coins bring more of a premium than others, but what is a reasonable percentage to pay for a CAC coin at the top end of the grade?

Comments

• There’s no set answer to your question. It depends on the individual coin and what someone’s willing to pay for it.
    Also, just because one was priced much higher than the others doesn’t necessarily mean that a majority of buyers would consider it to be worth such a premium.
  • edited June 2022
    I fully agree with @MarkFeld, and I’m the perfect real life example! Most collectors prefer toned coins where the particular toning appeals to them. They may pay a LOT more for those coins than untoned or less attractively toned coins in the same grade, also with CAC’s.

My particular taste, and that of a large group of collectors (not necessarily a majority, but still large) prefer the eye appeal of blast white coins that are super lustrous, looking as if they just came off the press yesterday, which is how the coin designers envisioned their coins would look! Especially for early 20th Century silver! Surprisingly to others, bidding for these problem-free super lustrous untoned coins can often be ferocious.

Keep in mind that even though these 100 year old coins have likely been dipped, apparently it was done gently enough to still merit a CAC! In my collection, EVERY coin eligible for a CAC has one, and roughly half my coins also have a “+” grade by PCGS despite the gentle dipping.

To each his own!

Steve
  • I like a little of both. I have some toned coins that are beautiful, and I love them, and I have some that are brilliant and shiny, and I love them too. :)
  • @Winesteven
    How's this for toning? ;)

• Every one of my coins is also CAC. Except for the few moderns that I have. I've paid big premiums for toned coins, sometimes as much as %50 more. But not without a CAC sticker.
  • I've got a question that maybe you guys can answer. When NGC or PCGS performs conservation on a coin, does it involve "dipping" with an acidic solution similar to EZest or is it a different technique with a more inert solution?

• That's a nice one @Pyrite . I like it. Check mine.
  • I gotta get a webcam or scope or something. My pictures with the cell phone stink
  • @Pyrite , GREAT Commem! That’s what I’m talking about!

Steve