The BOB SIMPSON thread — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

The BOB SIMPSON thread

edited June 2022 in General
TexasGold said:

Legend said:

I sold the 1824 PCGS MS68 and the 1833 MS68 to Mr Simpson. Bad news, he really likes them and is keeping them.

Generally speaking, what all is Mr. Simpson keeping?

Amazonian patterns - all metals
Stellas - all metals
Most gold patterns (including Quintuple stella, Bickford Eagle, Transitional Double Eagles, etc.)
Various other patterns (School Girl's, Washlady's, Shield Earrings, Half Unions, etc.)
St. Gaudens Eagles & Double Eagles
1907 Eagle @ PR67
6 Seated Liberty coins @ PR69/MS69
5-6 Morgan Dollars @ PR69
1878 Trade Dollar @ PR69
1824 & 1833 Capped Bust Half Dollars @ MS68

What else?
Legend said:

Mr Simson has a double row box of MONSTER CC DMPL's 66-67......Then he has the famous 78CC 3 coin Sonnier set still in capital plastic-we paid $25G for that set raw 15 years ago!!!!! He has more Type. GH and I built him one of the best collections EVER. thats why I was pained when a certain whale popped up and was no where near closet to what he has and bragged through a no nothing gabber on the forums I was upset. For a collection the size of Simpson, NO ONE comes close quality wise.

That $20 1907 is a PCGS PR68. Dan Ratner forever offered us over $1 million for it. He graded it 69-and he is sharp. I think it would bring $2.5 million today. WOW!

Thanks @Legend ... with regard to the 1907 Eagle @ PR67, I was referring to this:

When you mentioned Simpson's 1907 Double Eagle @ PR68, which coin were you referencing? Does Simpson own the ex-Trompeter/Morse 1907 Arabic Numeral "Small Edge Letters" Double Eagle?

Tagged:

Comments

• I believe his RE $10 is a 67+ and the $20 1907 is Morse PCGS PR68. He has a monster $20 1921 PCGS MS65. His fav coin is his $10 1920-S PCGS MS67+. He still has so many wicked cool coins I can't remember them all.
  • Legend said:

I believe his RE $10 is a 67+ and the $20 1907 is Morse PCGS PR68. He has a monster $20 1921 PCGS MS65. His fav coin is his $10 1920-S PCGS MS67+. He still has so many wicked cool coins I can't remember them all.

I had no idea that Simpson owned the PR68 1907 Arabic Numeral $20. Given his affinity for the St. Gaudens' gold series, I'm still rather surprised he parted with his Ultra-High Relief PR68 CAC.

Thanks Laura!
  • I was shocked he sold the ultra. He was really stressed at the time. I think he deeply regrets it. He is still mad at me selling his other one. We tried to buy the PCGS 1907 MS67 CAC $20 in the CSNS Sale. Ooops we lost. His Saints and $10 Indians rank among the best.

For as much as I harp about Simpson, the really best saint set is in CT. A guy has 3+ UHR's, the 27-D Morse 67, 21 in MS66, and the 25-S PCGS MS68, etc, He is not on any registry. He has $10 Indians too. We battled him in Morse and everywhere else.
  • edited June 2022
    Legend said:

...the really best saint set is in CT. A guy has 3+ UHR's, the 27-D Morse 67, 21 in MS66, and the 25-S PCGS MS68, etc, He is not on any registry. He has $10 Indians too. We battled him in Morse and everywhere else.

...as well as this quaint gem.

That's fantastic news that Mr. Simpson is back in the auction room, so to speak.
  • As a silver proof type collector, those auctions were THE event. I was lucky to come away with a few prizes....Amazing collection.
  • Eldorado9 said:

As a silver proof type collector, those auctions were THE event. I was lucky to come away with a few prizes....Amazing collection.

Do tell ... which ones did you score? My favorites among his auctioned silver proofs probably include:

If that's considered cheating, then maybe this one:

As for his remaining collection, my favorite silver proofs are probably the PR69 Morgans, perhaps this one:

• He does not have J-1776-the guy in CT does. Years ago we offered him $15 million.

Mr Simpson does have the gold Amazonian set tho. Thats easily worth $15 million today.
  • TexasGold said:

Eldorado9 said:

As a silver proof type collector, those auctions were THE event. I was lucky to come away with a few prizes....Amazing collection.

Do tell ... which ones did you score? My favorites among his auctioned silver proofs probably include:

If that's considered cheating, then maybe this one:

As for his remaining collection, my favorite silver proofs are probably the PR69 Morgans, perhaps this one:

Yes, I am familiar with those, and they are fantastic. I've been putting the Barber proofs together in a Reg set among other sets, so I felt lucky to acquire these Simpson coins:

• Thanks for sharing @Eldorado9 ... well done! B)
  • TexasGold said:

Thanks for sharing @Eldorado9 ... well done! B)

Thank you Buddy! I think Bob liked toners! ;)
  • Mr Simpson LOVED "preeetty" coins
  • Mr Simpson has good taste.
  • When's his next big event (sale)?
  • Realone said:

When's his next big event (sale)?

Summer ANA sale ... Simple Lot List

• As far as I know, Mr Simpson is done selling after this group in the ANA sales. He still has one of the greatest collections ever assembled. I'm working on getting to display some of the coins-especially the Gold Amazonian set
  • edited June 2022
    Legend said:

I'm working on getting to display some of the coins-especially the Gold Amazonian set

In addition to his Amazonian patterns, I would really like to see Mr. Simpson display all of his remaining gold patterns ... if I'm not mistaken ( :# ), I believe his collection still includes the following:
    • 1860 Longacre $5 (Judd-271)
    • 1863 "God Our Trust" $10's (Judd-349 / Judd-351) ... Simpson's Judd-349 failed to meet its reserve in April's auction
    • 1865/1876 Transitional $20's (Judd-452 / Judd-1490) ... Simpson's Judd-452 has been available on Legend's website since February
    • 1868 Longacre $10 (Judd-661)
    • 1873 Barber $5 (Judd-1337)
    • 1874 Bickford $10 (Judd-1373)
    • 1875 Sailor Head $5 / $10 (Judd-1438 / Judd-1443)
    • 1878 Barber Phrygian Cap $5 / $10 (Judd-1575 / Judd-1579)
    • 1879-1880 Stellas (Judd-1635, 1638, 1657, 1660)
    • 1879 Quintuple Stella (Judd-1643)
  • Of course he had 2 Gold quintupples (we sold one). Funny little story, we had actually purchased the coin from a friend. Mr Simpson saw a pic and decided he didn't really want it. GH a nd I flew down with some other coins, and as soon as he saw it-LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT!!!! He wrote the check right on the spot! The coin is friggen gorgeous and is now one of his favs.

The J-1337 $5 1873 he might have kept because David Akers told us it was his fav coin and gave Mr Simpson a framed painting of it. Originally he didn't care for it.

You really want to see his secret toned Morgans-WOW!
  • Legend said:

You really want to see his secret toned Morgans-WOW!

...indeed I do, as well as his PR69 Morgans.

As an aside, I was surprised that Mr. Simpson chose to break up his Amazonian off-metal sets (gilt, copper, aluminum) as well as the silver's ... once upon a time, these sets appeared to be the pride and joy of his collection. Why did he choose to sell these?

...and are there any of these posters remaining?

• edited June 2022
    If Mr Simpson is done selling, it would be of great service to the hobby if he erected a website like The Tyrant (Dan O'Dowd) has had constructed to house his collection.

Consider the Heritage imagery already created as a headstart.
  • I can't answer why he sold off some of the coins in the all metal set. He did have a ton of dupes. I can say the gold set is the treasure of pride of his collection.

No, no web site ever. He actually is a private person. I get him to allow displays only occasionally. The reason the Amazonian gold is not on display, he really is afraid of losing it or something will happen. But I keep bugging him and he does say one day soon.