1898 o rattler. Will it get a green sticker gold sticker or no sticker - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

1898 o rattler. Will it get a green sticker gold sticker or no sticker

Comments

• not sure on that one ...lotsa chatter in the left field.

• I think it has a good shot at receiving a green bean. I would need better photos though. The photos are under lighted at some parts and could obscure something.

• edited December 2021

Additional photos.Please let me know what you think.

• I could see it grading 65 today but doubt you'll see a gold bean on this as a 64.
  • VanHalen said:
    I could see it grading 65 today but doubt you'll see a gold bean on this as a 64.
    That would be great if it graded 65 today. I asked JA what would it grade if recertified today, which is valuable information. I do know the odds on gold sticker is very low as only 550 out of 100,000 Morgan’s got a gold sticker 
  • Looking like a green! I just had a ms 66 1899 O cac green. Made me happy!
  • Here’s a 1900 Ms64 also in a Rattler…with CAC, for comparison.  Photos all from SBG.   

Coin is nice but isn’t the luster subdued. Doesn’t seem bright and flashy 
  • nicely struck o mint, i like it
  • To me, it does not look like a high end 64.  No sticker is my guess, but fingers crossed for you.  
  • I have 3 1899-O Morgan's in MS64 - MS65 - MS66 all are Cac certified. This seems to be a tough date to grade as I do not see any big difference in all 3 grades. This MS64 Rattler is a beautiful example in my opinion. Maybe a few tiny marks on her cheek.
  • edited December 2021
    Morgantop said:
    I have 3 1899-O Morgan's in MS64 - MS65 - MS66 all are Cac certified. This seems to be a tough date to grade as I do not see any big difference in all 3 grades. This MS64 Rattler is a beautiful example in my opinion. Maybe a few tiny marks on her cheek.
    Received a green sticker. JA said it would get a  grade of  ms 64+ or catch a low end 65 if recertified today. I thought gold as cheek is very clean and only some light mark in left field. I see solid 65. 
  • I had a PCGS OGH 1899-O MS63 that looked way under graded. I cracked it out and sent it to PCGS. It graded MS65, I then sent it to Cac and it passed. Now I wish a had just sent it to Cac. It most likely would have received a Gold Pass on a cool old holder.
  • Morgantop said:
    I had a PCGS OGH 1899-O MS63 that looked way under graded. I cracked it out and sent it to PCGS. It graded MS65, I then sent it to Cac and it passed. Now I wish a had just sent it to Cac. It most likely would have received a Gold Pass on a cool old holder.
    I bet if I submitted my coin to PCGS today it would make 65 and get a green sticker from CAC. Problem is I don’t want to lose my rattler holder.
  • I don't crack them out anymore, they are to rare and valuable. Your rattler will only increase in value. I know what you mean though, I have some MS64 Cac certified Morgan's in Rattler holders that look easily MS65. It's all part of the game, just think if you cracked it out and it came back altered surface? It wouldn't be the first time this happened to someone.
  • Morgantop said:
    I don't crack them out anymore, they are to rare and valuable. Your rattler will only increase in value. I know what you mean though, I have some MS64 Cac certified Morgan's in Rattler holders that look easily MS65. It's all part of the game, just think if you cracked it out and it came back altered surface? It wouldn't be the first time this happened to someone.
    I wouldn’t crack out the coin. I would use either regrade or reconsideration. But like you say the older holders are cool to own and valuable. So I will keep my rattler, even though for my own knowledge I want to see what grade PCGS will give today which I feel is 65, and send it back to CAC for hopefully a green sticker 
  • They sell for $50 or $60 more in 65.  You already paid for 1 sticker and shipping.  PCGS grading and shipping, and then another sticker try and shipping (which John has already told you won't sticker at 65, by calling it low end) will put you underwater by a long ways. 

The rattler in 64 with the sticker will sell for more than a 65 without a sticker.  It is easy to forget about shipping charges, but they are high from both services.

I would quit now, but it's your money!
  • Wabbit said:
    They sell for $50 or $60 more in 65.  You already paid for 1 sticker and shipping.  PCGS grading and shipping, and then another sticker try and shipping (which John has already told you won't sticker at 65, by calling it low end) will put you underwater by a long ways. 

The rattler in 64 with the sticker will sell for more than a 65 without a sticker.  It is easy to forget about shipping charges, but they are high from both services.

I would quit now, but it's your money!
    Not the 1899 O. Sells for over $200 in ms 65. My thinking is there are coins that have regraded at a higher level and gotten green stickers anyway even though originally they didn’t get gold. My strong feeling is that JA was too hard on this coin as the coin looks pretty clean in hand as opposed to the picture posted, but I want to keep my rattler. I am no expert on Morgan’s just a gut feeling.
  • Stevie said:

My strong feeling is that JA was too hard on this coin as the coin looks pretty clean in hand as opposed to the picture posted, but I want to keep my rattler. I am no expert on Morgan’s just a gut feeling.

Of the millions of coins John has seen, and your "gut" is going to trump that?   :D :D

• I have sent MS65 Morgan's into Cac I knew would get a pass. Especially New Orlean and San Francisco Mint strikes. And they did not pass, even if we look at a ton of these coins unless you are a trained expert there are things we do not see. At times I will see why a coin did not pass after the fact. It can go both ways also when you are surprised a coin received a Cac pass. Maybe buy another sweet 1899-O MS64 and have it regraded. I almost guarantee in a year from now you will be glad you did not crack this one out. Just my opinion.