1898 o rattler. Will it get a green sticker gold sticker or no sticker - Page 4 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

1898 o rattler. Will it get a green sticker gold sticker or no sticker

124»

Comments

• Wabbit said:
    Stevie said:

Everything you have said is true. But remember CAC grading is not about the most eye appealing coins. A gold sticker means it’s solid or probably high for the next grade factoring all the technical with the aesthetic aspects. Not that it is necessarily beautiful looking. TPG weighs the eye appeal factor more heavily than CAC. 

LOL, and how did you arrive at this conclusion?  You have been collecting/submitting for how long? (You just posted your first ever submission!)    
    Very Simple. Reading and studying posts on this forum and learning from Mark Feld and other experts as well as looking at a few thousand photos from online auctions and sellers. That’s how I succeeded in getting 6 out of 8 with 2 gold, as I also have a good eye for quality 
  • Sounds very simple but I am still working on it. I have never  received a gold,  hopefully someday soon!
  • Wabbit said:
    Stevie said:

Everything you have said is true. But remember CAC grading is not about the most eye appealing coins. A gold sticker means it’s solid or probably high for the next grade factoring all the technical with the aesthetic aspects. Not that it is necessarily beautiful looking. TPG weighs the eye appeal factor more heavily than CAC. 

LOL, and how did you arrive at this conclusion?  You have been collecting/submitting for how long? (You just posted your first ever submission!)    
     By learning from experts such as Mark Feld and looking at thousands of online auction coins. I have a good eye for eye appeal and quality. That’s how you get 6 out of eight with 2 gold first try.
  • Stevie said:
    Wabbit said:
    Stevie said:

By learning from experts such as Mark Feld and looking at thousands of online auction coins. I have a good eye for eye appeal and quality. That’s how you get 6 out of eight with 2 gold first try.
        If I knew about pvc and high point friction maybe 8 out of eight. That I learned from speaking with JA, who was so helpful I thank him for the knowledge 
  • Folks, to say CAC does not care about eye appeal is foolish.

Not trying to burst your bubble.  Cheers!
  • Wabbit said:
    Folks, to say CAC does not care about eye appeal is foolish.

Wabbit said:

Wabbit said:

I respect your opinions but I never stated that CAC doesn’t care about eye appeal. But I will say that CAC does emphasize originality and technical surfaces more than eye appeal and many people will agree. I said I emphasized eye appeal when buying my own coins. All the best 
  • Stevie said:
    But remember CAC grading is not about the most eye appealing coins. 

Um, yes you did.  
  • Wabbit said:
    Stevie said:
    But remember CAC grading is not about the most eye appealing coins. 

Um, yes you did.  
    Saying that “CAC is not about the most eye appealing coins” and “TPG weighs the eye appeal factor more heavily than CAC” is not the same thing as saying “CAC does not care about eye appeal”. My guess is that the two of you probably don’t really disagree by a wide margin.
  • There is truth to all these previous comments. None of us know when we send coins to Cac, no matter how BU Gem they look for their assigned grade if they will receive a Gold Cac. On my last submission I had my eye on gold for my 1880-S Rattler MS64 that looked absolutely PL MS65. I also sent in two 1904-O BU MS64 NGC fatty Morgan's I thought had a good chance at a green pass. The 1880-S Passed green & one of the two 1904-O passed Gold to my excitement. There is both skill and also luck in receiving a Gold Cac pass. That in my opinion is what's so great about Cac, it evens up the playing field.
  • Morgantop said:
    There is truth to all these previous comments. None of us know when we send coins to Cac, no matter how BU Gem they look for their assigned grade if they will receive a Gold Cac. On my last submission I had my eye on gold for my 1880-S Rattler MS64 that looked absolutely PL MS65. I also sent in two 1904-O BU MS64 NGC fatty Morgan's I thought had a good chance at a green pass. The 1880-S Passed green & one of the two 1904-O passed Gold to my excitement. There is both skill and also luck in receiving a Gold Cac pass. That in my opinion is what's so great about Cac, it evens up the playing field.
    I have only submitted once to CAC, but based on my observation of what got gold and what got green, and my expectations, this is my impression. 
    To get gold your coin needs to be close to or actually 2 grades higher not just solid for the next grade, a A coin in the next grade. As an experiment I am going to resubmit to the TPG coins that I feel are undergraded and resubmit for a higher grade. Than resubmit to CAC for a new green sticker at the new grade. Do you agree?
  • edited January 2022
    JA does like luster very much. It is very important to him. He is tolerant of a bit of chatter on the device of the coin as long as it is acceptable for the grade. Learning what JA loves, likes. tolerates and dislikes has helped my grading results. The only coins I still cannot grade worth a damn are Franklin Halves!!

I also still occasionally miss PVC which JA can now spot quickly. He used to miss PVC back in the day. He missed it before they called it PVC.
  • oreville said:
    JA does like luster very much. It is very important to him. He is tolerant of a bit of chatter on the device of the coin as long as it is acceptable for the grade. Learning what JA loves, likes. tolerates and dislikes has helped my grading results. The only coins I still cannot grade worth a damn are Franklin Halves!! I also still occasionally miss PVC which JA can now spot quickly. He used to miss PVC back in the day. He missed it before they called it PVC.
    I don’t get the sense that JA loves luster as I see some drab coins graded favorably. I had a couple of nice coins that were very clean for the grade that didn’t bump up to gold despite flashy luster and great eye appeal 
  • In regard to receiving a Cac gold pass on Morgan's, etc., there are other graders at Cac that have their own opinions, I believe you are dealing with the opinion of who is looking at your coins. I don't believe you can pick out a Morgan no matter how much research you do and have even a 50 percent chance of getting a gold pass. If you read other collector's comments, they have been sending Cac Morgan's over 2 years and have not received one to date. When I look at my gold pass Morgan's I can definitely see the upper next grade level in detail, but it may be lacking in luster. Or one does not have an upper grade level strike for the assigned grade, but it has amazing luster and no distractions period. So, in my opinion it is both having an eye for nice coins, but most important sending Cac a coin that meets their criteria for a gold pass, not our criteria. As far as re-submitting coins for a higher grade, anyone who has done this knows there can be a price to pay. And it's not always good. Just my opinion.
  • Stevie said:

oreville said:

JA does like luster very much. It is very important to him. He is tolerant of a bit of chatter on the device of the coin as long as it is acceptable for the grade. Learning what JA loves, likes. tolerates and dislikes has helped my grading results. The only coins I still cannot grade worth a damn are Franklin Halves!!

I also still occasionally miss PVC which JA can now spot quickly. He used to miss PVC back in the day. He missed it before they called it PVC.

I don’t get the sense that JA loves luster as I see some drab coins graded favorably. I had a couple of nice coins that were very clean for the grade that didn’t bump up to gold despite flashy luster and great eye appeal 

My reply to your response is:

1) I did not state that JA loves luster. I stated he LIKES luster very much. There is a difference.
    2) Liking luster very much does help a coin achieve a green sticker which was point of my post. But luster alone is not enough even for a green sticker if many other grading aspects of the coin is deficient. I never mentioned achieving a gold sticker in my post. It is not singularly enough to help a coin achieve a gold sticker either.
    3) Achieving a gold sticker requires an outstanding coin in essentially all grading attributes which most collectors recognize.

On my last CAC submission of four Morgan silver dollars, two months ago, I received two green and two gold stickers.
  • I believe it's excellent you received two Gold Cac Morgan's in one submission. I am just commenting on my experience with getting gold passes on Morgan's. If you receive another please share it, I would be very interested. I feel I am pretty good at picking out nice Morgan Dollars, but when it comes to gold or even a green pass, I have at times been off the mark. Morgan's are graded differently for different dates. So, in my opinion Cac looks at Morgan's differently than I do from experience. But hopefully for the most part they agree with me on getting a pass. LOL.. Regarding re-submitting Morgan's, I recently cracked out and submitted a Anacs 1880-S MS64-Obv DMPL to NGC expecting to get a MS65-Star. It's a beautiful coin. It came back Unc. Detail "Obv Cleaned" There was a tiny rub below Miss Liberty's cheek, I have never had one this tiny detail before. I have also sent graded coins to Cac with a tiny rub like this and received a pass. It's a chance you take when playing the coin game. Best of luck with your collecting!
  • Morgantop said:

I believe it's excellent you received two Gold Cac Morgan's in one submission. I am just commenting on my experience with getting gold passes on Morgan's. If you receive another please share it, I would be very interested. I feel I am pretty good at picking out nice Morgan Dollars, but when it comes to gold or even a green pass, I have at times been off the mark. Morgan's are graded differently for different dates. So, in my opinion Cac looks at Morgan's differently than I do from experience. But hopefully for the most part they agree with me on getting a pass. LOL.. Regarding re-submitting Morgan's, I recently cracked out and submitted a Anacs 1880-S MS64-Obv DMPL to NGC expecting to get a MS65-Star. It's a beautiful coin. It came back Unc. Detail "Obv Cleaned" There was a tiny rub below Miss Liberty's cheek, I have never had one this tiny detail before. I have also sent graded coins to Cac with a tiny rub like this and received a pass. It's a chance you take when playing the coin game. Best of luck with your collecting!

Do not give me too much credit. LOL I submitted 4 black NGC 1.0 slabs which i knew looked awesome for the grade and thought would have a decent chance of getting 3 gold stickers out of 4. One of them was an awesome 1903-O in MS-64.
  • Wish I owned a black holder! I  would be happy with just one.