Circ 1895-O Barber half... will it straight grade? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Circ 1895-O Barber half... will it straight grade?

Not the best pix but best I can do at this time. Overexposed.

Comments

• Where's the o mint mark? Can't see it....
  • It is there. I think the overexposure...and it looks like it was to the gray-green spectrum sort of hides it, and the angle of lighting makes it fade.

Then again, I have never been good at deciphering photos of coins, and if it is not overexposure to the gray-green spectrum, then I don't think this piece is going to straight grade.

Sue me for my opinion. I am old, and welcome the excitement.
  • Are you asking because of the scratches on the obverse portrait or some other reason? If the former, my guess is that the coin would straight-grade.
  • Concern is the possibility of cleaned. The scratches are ok, they got highlighted by the lighting.

95-O has one reverse die where the mint mark is so weak they can be cherrypicked in TPG 95-P holders. (The OP example is not from that die however)
  • Concern is the possibility of cleaned. The scratches are ok, they got highlighted by the lighting.

95-O has one reverse die where the mint mark is so weak they can be cherrypicked in TPG 95-P holders. (The OP example is not from that die however)

If it’s been cleaned heavily enough to preclude a straight grade, I can’t tell from the images. Of course, I might feel differently, were I to see it in hand.