Should there be a CAC HOF? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Should there be a CAC HOF?

Who's sets would be candidates? Stewart's early Lincolns? And Barber dimes? The #1 Barber Quarter set? I'm less familiar with the 19th century or gold sets that might be out there in all CAC.

Comments

• As of now, CAC has no imaging capability. Sweet concept, but logistically impossible.

• It would be a security issue if collectors wore their stickers in public. >:)
  • edited June 2022
    Pyrite said:

It would be a security issue if collectors wore their stickers in public. >:)

I think an accompanying downturn in T-Shirt sales will parallel this. Time to short cotton?
  • ptolemyII said:

Pyrite said:

It would be a security issue if collectors wore their stickers in public. >:)

I think an accompanying downturn in T-Shirt sales will parallel this. Time to short cotton?
    Supply chain disruptions will remedy the issue.
  • Maybe a third party could set up a CAC HOF and Registry website that lists CAC top pop sets with the owners', PCGS's, and/or NGC's photos? I suspect that JA and company will always be too busy to ever set up such a site themselves.
  • OH yeah! THAT should be universally accepted! :D
  • This is confidential: we’re currently working on a cac registry and will be ready in 2023. JA 
  • JACAC said:
    This is confidential: we’re currently working on a cac registry and will be ready in 2023. JA 
    Thank you for the inside scoop! 
  • JACAC said:

This is confidential: we’re currently working on a cac registry and will be ready in 2023. JA 

Waterboarding will not get that information from me!

...............mum.............
  • Those on this forum early on read about JA setting up this CAC Registry. My sense of what he said, is he felt the need for this in order to be able to provide greater rating weights for the tougher dates.

For example, in my various Type Sets, I’ve chosen to typically include coins of the most common dates, to be able to afford higher grades. Someone who spends a lot more for the same grade in a tougher date receives no extra weighting points in the PCGS Registry. The CAC Registry would address that inequity.

Steve

• Looking forward to this becoming a reality. The current rating weights, at PCGS anyway, are a complete joke for certain series, especially Seated Dollars.
  • edited June 2022

Those on this forum early on read about JA setting up this CAC Registry. My sense of what he said, is he felt the need for this in order to be able to provide greater rating weights for the tougher dates.

For example, in my various Type Sets, I’ve chosen to typically include coins of the most common dates, to be able to afford higher grades. Someone who spends a lot more for the same grade in a tougher date receives no extra weighting points in the PCGS Registry. The CAC Registry would address that inequity.

Steve

The CAC Registry would only hope to address various conundrums less inequitably than current algorithms. The statistician and numismatist on this project will likely need a psychiatrist. :p

Liberty Seated of any denomination will have a much more variable range of weighting than Franklin Half scoring, where MS66's are sometimes worth melting.

• Very true on all accounts and your comparative example is spot on. Any improvement would be welcome.
  • edited June 2022
    I like the pcgs weighting in general. I think higher weights should stick with historically more famous key dates rather than newly recognized condition rarities. (Was it one of you that just said Bah to condition rarities?). If I had to adjust the weights though I wouldn't make them as drastic. Maybe give all coins a weight of 3, 4, or 5 only so key dates (5s) and semi-keys (4s) are only a bit more than common dates (3s) in percentage terms. I know in the pcgs registry a 14-d Lincoln is 10 times that of a later common date. That seems too drastic to me. (It'd be ok for a set all in G4 but in the typical registry mint state grades one could easily spend much more money on many other dates than they did on their 14-d).

I was thinking CAC could look at the pcgs CAC registry for HOF candidates but I now realize that excludes NGC CAC coins. A CAC only registry with either is a great idea. Glad to hear about it!
  • edited June 2022
    I propose that my little baby 1924 $20 Saint shown below be the first to be in the CAC registry set. After all it is probably the oldest and coolest gold stickered one.

This CAC stickered 1924 is one of the triplet Saints in the same submission to be slabbed by NGC in its first month of business and I have all three. This one is gold stickered, another 1924 Saint in MS-62 is green stickered, and the third one, a 1922 Saint was expertly opened (not by me) at the seam many years ago and an inferior 1922 Saint was substituted in its place. A fantastic research slab and of course, not stickered by JA. A true trifecta of the triplets.

In reality, I am not a big fan of the registry sets concept.

• If CAC does start a Hall of Fame, the first admission should be Barry Bonds, the greatest all-around player since Ted Williams. MLB's hypocritical HOF will never admit him, so JA should admit him to make a point.
  • Not coin related, but the Baseball Hall of Fame voters made THE point - he cheated, and as such many of us take his stats and use it as toilet paper.
  • Not coin related, but the Baseball Hall of Fame voters made THE point - he cheated, and as such many of us take his stats and use it as toilet paper.

But so did other players like Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth.
  • edited June 2022
    Let's get back on topic. However, I can't help myself, so I must reply. I didn't know Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth took performance enhancing drugs/steroids to artificially enhance their physical abilities to hit more home runs, etc. Interesting that they had those way back then!
  • Did they not both have a penchant for the nectar of the Gods and Wheat and Hops in the ultimate state of liquid glory?

Even then, though, if you can swing a bat better than all the teetotalers, some recognition is due, I think