Percentage of CAC-Approved PCGS vs NGC — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Percentage of CAC-Approved PCGS vs NGC

Has CAC ever released this info? Doing so by type and date would be nice. And fascinating to a die-hard CACster like me.

Comments

• While my following comment will not answer this question directly, here’s data that is related:

Since I buy only coins with CAC’s (as long as I like the eye appeal, and as such I pass on about 80% of the coins I see that I need), I always first filter for coins with CAC’s. I then filter for my preferred TPG, PCGS. Over the years, I’ve found that of coins with CAC’s in auctions, roughly 75% to 85% of those are graded by PCGS, and the remaining 15% are graded by others.

For example, currently on GC, there are 1,092 coins listed with CAC’s. Then when I add PCGS to that filter, I see there are currently 874 with CAC’s graded by PCGS. That’s 80%. In the two current auctions running on DLRC, there are 127 coins with CAC’s, and of those, 94 are graded by PCGS. That’s 74%.

Steve
  • When I checked last year, HA had auctioned about 127,000 PCGS-CAC's versus around 90,000 NGC-CAC's. But I am unsure about how to interpret these numbers because so many factors are at play (crossovers, resubmissions, bias, politics, etc).