Record price for Civil War ID tag — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Record price for Civil War ID tag

Yesterday a common type Civil War ID tag, Lincoln obv, sold for $9156.00 on eBay.
The soldier’s troop unit was designated
“ Colored Troops” like the all-black units assaulting Fort Sumter in 1861, the subject of the movie “Glory” starring Denzel Washington.
& Matthew Broderick ( as the white commander). I know of a Sutler token selling for $23K. Exonumia coming into its own. No slabs, or grading disputes and real rarity,
not “ condition rarity”.

Comments

• I saw it, did you win it off the bay?
  • Any way I am glad records of such are being made and broken, good for the series.
  • Yes, anything to do with "Colored Troops" from the Civil War will bring strong prices.

I don't have one of those pieces, but I do have a couple of Civil War dog tags that were used during the war. I am still doing the research and preparing an article, but here is a little preview.

Tompkins Baker was born on December 13, 1834. He worked as a farmer and a carpenter until he was mustered into the service, in a New Hampshire unit, for a three year term on September 2, 1862. His unit headed toward Virginia where it would eventually participate in the Battle of Fredericksburg. He became ill before they arrived and was detailed to hospital duty. He condition worsened until he died, in the hospital on February 7, 1863.

His story was no unusual. Many men were not exposed to dangerous diseases before they entered the service because they had lived a insular life before they joined. During the Civil War, it was often more dangerous to live in the camps were sanitation was not understood than it was to fight in a battle.

It took me a long time to find one of these dog tags. You run into blank pieces fairly often, which were not used, but the pieces that were prepared for a soldier are seen less often. Here is an example of "blank obverse" remainder that has been PCGS certified.