Breen's Personal Copy of His Encyclopedia Auctioned for $37,500 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Breen's Personal Copy of His Encyclopedia Auctioned for $37,500

Does anyone even reference Breen numbers now? PCGS and NGC certainly do not although PCGS used to on its Regency holders and NGC used to on its Photo Proofs.

Breen's Encyclopedia seems to be the most complete variety reference ever published. But the Cherrypickers' Guide is apparently the current variety bible although they list very few of the known varieties.

Is $37,500 a record for any coin book? I currently see used copies of the Breen Encyclopedia offered for as little as $34.97 postpaid on Ebay, literally 1,072 times cheaper. You could buy a lot of actual variety coins for that $37,465.03 difference. Or a brand new BMW or Mercedes.

I know of several dealers who earn a good living cherry picking both popular and obscure varieties. I wonder if any still use Breen numbers?

Does CAC verify varieties noted on slabs that it stickers?

Comments

• What’s a Breen number? Is that book in the fiction or nonfiction section?
  • What’s a Breen number? Is that book in the fiction or nonfiction section?

LOL
  • CACfan said:

Does anyone even reference Breen numbers now? PCGS and NGC certainly do not although PCGS used to on its Regency holders and NGC used to on its Photo Proofs.

Breen's Encyclopedia seems to be the most complete variety reference ever published. But the Cherrypickers' Guide is apparently the current variety bible although they list very few of the known varieties.

Is $37,500 a record for any coin book? I currently see used copies of the Breen Encyclopedia offered for as little as $34.97 postpaid on Ebay, literally 1,072 times cheaper. You could buy a lot of actual variety coins for that $37,465.03 difference. Or a brand new BMW or Mercedes.

I know of several dealers who earn a good living cherry picking both popular and obscure varieties. I wonder if any still use Breen numbers?

Does CAC verify varieties noted on slabs that it stickers?

• Donated to the ANA Library I believe.
  • otherwise a full burial and a partial waste of paper. Where they is some good info enclosed in those binders trying to figure out what is fact vs fiction can be as arduous as picking it up and opening.