Fairmont just keeps uncovering more of the hoard - the half eagles — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Fairmont just keeps uncovering more of the hoard - the half eagles

edited July 2022 in Gold Coins
By now, most of you have seen that Stacks Bowers in August is auctioning the JBR subset of the Fairmont hoard. I am still recovering from the half eagle purchases I made in Hendricks back in March so I don't know how active I will be but this hoard just keeps producing coins. A few observations:

1. Anyone that thought the best of the hoard was in Hendricks might want to look over this set. There are some very nice examples again and a few top pop coins and 75 % of the half eagles stickered.
2. Will the turnout be as good, given the recency of Hendricks, other economic factors (inflation, downturn in stock market, crypto plunge,etc) or will this hoard just keep generating record numbers? Hendricks produced over $13 million. How will JBR fare?
3. Doug Winter noted a number of half eagles missing or having only no grade or low grade examples in Hendricks. Most of these - like the 1841, the 1847-O or 1860-S - are also missing from JBR.
4. The Stacks folks may end up getting high marks for how to market/distribute a hoard of immense size. These sales have seemingly revived a broader following for liberty half eagles (and other gold denominations) when a seemingly bottomless supply might have instead seriously injured a market.

Comments

• I’ll show my ignorance and hope for enlightenment. The last Fairmont sale and this one had a name associated with them. That made me think they were previously released Fairmont items being sold as the owner was ready to sell. 

So was that one and this one new to market? If so, why give it a name like Hendricks or JBR? Just a weird marketing thing?
  • These are all fresh to market. No clue as to the names, or even the Fairmont name for that matter.
  • My customers could not care less about the Fairmont pedigree. I get no premium for it. But people are always willing to pay extra for Eliasberg and Norweb.
  • Does Fairmont refer to the Fairmont Hotel where the Stacks team may have been staying when going through the hoard?
  • CACfan said:
    My customers could not care less about the Fairmont pedigree. I get no premium for it. But people are always willing to pay extra for Eliasberg and Norweb.
    APRs clearly show that people are willing to pay more than top dollar for Fairmont coins. I don’t think people necessarily seek the pedigree itself (like they would an Eliasberg coin), but the Fairmont pedigree is associated with high quality and originality, so people are willing to pay a premium. 
  •  I sold one of my Fairmont Saints on Sunday at Great Collections .    It brought in a new high.   In fact it sold for a considerable amount more then other non pedigree CAC saints of the same grade .   I think as Hookalacky stated in his post above that Fairmont is respected and associated with high quality coins .   Pretty decent premium over the others it seems to me . 
  • CACfan said:

My customers could not care less about the Fairmont pedigree. I get no premium for it. But people are always willing to pay extra for Eliasberg and Norweb.

Maybe the customers are doing it wrong.

Maybe they would benefit from also consulting with the experience of Mr. Savage, as opposed to limiting their choices, via the benefit of only your knowledge and experience. Seeking diversity of experience is never a bad thing. It may even increase your premium. That would be a positive, I would think.
  • NicNic
    edited July 2022
    Don't have a dog in the hunt bd but the breadth/depth of the offerings seems huge.
  • CACfan said:

Then you aren’t selling your Fairmont coins to the right buyer base and aren’t maximizing the value of your inventory. There’s clearly a premium as demonstrated by auction results and asking prices of leading dealers such as Doug Winter.
  • Nic said:

Don't have a dog in the hunt bd but the breadth/depth of the offerings seems huge.

Nic, you are right, and not only that, but those dealers and insiders that should be in the know seem as much in the dark about the breadth/depth of Fairmont as those of us collectors that are just trying to build our collections.
  • Is there any precedent for JA or the CAC team Commenting on why certain 5$ Indians did not CAC..  The ones from the JBR set?

• breakdown said:

Nic said:

Nic, you are right, and not only that, but those dealers and insiders that should be in the know seem as much in the dark about the breadth/depth of Fairmont as those of us collectors that are just trying to build our collections.
    I think most people who work at Stacks Bowers know very little about the origins and depth of the Fairmont hoard.