First complete St. Gaudens $20 CAC set - Page 3 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

First complete St. Gaudens $20 CAC set

Comments

• Legend said:

Look like there will be another great Saint coming up for sale soon. Mr Elite, good luck!!! We'll see who ends up w/the #1 set!!!!

Battle space preparation!
  • edited July 2022
    Deleted as it was off topic .  Thank you 
  • edited July 2022
    Deleted
  • edited July 2022
    Legend said:

Look like there will be another great Saint coming up for sale soon. Mr Elite, good luck!!! We'll see who ends up w/the #1 set!!!!

Good luck to you, @Legend. Whatever the Forum "Rules" might be, you're a dealer who's purportedly here to serve the collector community but who instead is clearly hijacking a collector's thread to pump up your own business. "I am the powerful agent of champions". Yes, you are. You certainly are. The agent, not the champion. It's not your money. Your "challenge" is little more than self-congratulatory bravado. @EliteCollection owns the Ultimate Saint. The finest Colombian emerald could not rival the greenness of your envy. Keep your advertising in the banner at the top of the page.

Not speaking at all for Ian or Seth, but were I an agent for @EliteCollection I'd consider that such a challenge to a rival collector might inflame that rival into paying "more" in any bidding competition. Seems counterproductive to my client's interest.

• I think Mr Elite will end up with the real #1 set as Simpson is now selling his Saint set in August.

What he has done is impossible-and not just because of the 1933.
  • I knew my chance to get to #1 is when Simpson eventually sells his set. I just didn't expect that to be so soon! It's going to be a blockbuster auction.
    Legend said:

What he has done is impossible-and not just because of the 1933.

What do you mean by this?
  • Maybe old Elon will have his Mars spaceship ready by then and Mr Elite will want to take it. I doubt there is internet up there!!!!! Oh that would be so nice
  • Don't worry. I will be bidding. :D
  • Elon owns Starlink - internet is definitely going to work up there.
  • Please take Ian too and see if starlink really works.

Warning: Simpsons $20 set was my masterpiece. I'm going to be playing as hard as ever. I am gravely disappointed he is selling this set. Mr Elite, I hop eyou have saved up some money!!!!!!

• edited July 2022
    When I was playing with the big shots at auction earlier this century, I'd be bidding online and bidding on the phone. HA assigns two different bidding numbers. The phone agent will always wait a few seconds or much much more. In this sale, increments over $200K ($20K-$50K) will get a lot of respect from the auctioneer. This may allow a bidder (at times) to slow the pace and use an extra cut-bid for end-game maneuvering. B)
  • edited July 2022
    Legend said:
    Please take Ian too and see if starlink really works. Warning: Simpsons $20 set was my masterpiece. I'm going to be playing as hard as ever. I am gravely disappointed he is selling this set. Mr Elite, I hop eyou have saved up some money!!!!!!

Yet you failed to achieve the first all CAC Saint set and the crown jewel of saints the ‘33 for your client.    😂🤣

I doubt Elite is living paycheck to paycheck ! 🤓
  • Not to throw cold water on those trying to complete a set of gold St Gaudens by date & mintmark but this oldtime collector finds it boring & tiresome to gaze at coin after coin after coin with the only change apparent being a minuscule mintmark or a change in the tiny final date digit. YAWN. Give me a nice ex. fine or better type set where every coin design is different. Now that’s an accomplishment
    that no amount of big money can make. Only time & perseverance.
  • mellado said:
    Not to throw cold water on those trying to complete a set of gold St Gaudens by date & mintmark but this oldtime collector finds it boring & tiresome to gaze at coin after coin after coin with the only change apparent being a minuscule mintmark or a change in the tiny final date digit. YAWN. Give me a nice ex. fine or better type set where every coin design is different. Now that’s an accomplishment that no amount of big money can make. Only time & perseverance.
     Being one who has an all CAC 12 coin gold type set in the Top 10 I find them very interesting and nice to look at .   But let me tell you friend as I wipe away the cold water …. I love my ladies !!!   I have a Saint date set in the Top 10 as well .   Trust me when I tell you it is indeed a very big accomplishment.   
     I don’t think we as collectors should place one collectors interest over another’s . 
      Personally I celebrate each collectors achievements and excitement they have whether it’s a person with Pennys in a Whitman book , a man with a set of CC Morgan’s or a complete set of gold .  
     Who is anyone to decide what another man likes as being better or lesser than another ?

I promised Mark Feld I’d be nice to others on the internet , so let me say this nicely .   I have noticed a pattern in your posts.   You seem to take issue with successful persons who are collectors at very high levels .  Here , D.L.Hansen and others .    It’d be nice if we could just appreciate each other and our mutual shared interest regardless of coin type or dollar figure .   
     I’d love to see your set and coins sometime . That’d be very cool .   Good night pal .   

• edited July 2022
    mellado said:

Not to throw cold water on those trying to complete a set of gold St Gaudens by date & mintmark but this oldtime collector finds it boring & tiresome to gaze at coin after coin after coin with the only change apparent being a minuscule mintmark or a change in the tiny final date digit. YAWN. Give me a nice ex. fine or better type set where every coin design is different. Now that’s an accomplishment
    that no amount of big money can make. Only time & perseverance.

If you had any interest whatsoever in US coins made after 1814 your comment might have some traction, but you're here mainly to tell us what unsophisticated ignoramuses we are for thinking this "modern crap" has value based on our "debasement" of seminal historical importance. Your empathy for those who didn't have your opportunities seems lacking :s Good luck with EAC varieties and your microscope. :p

The CAC project has value for a vast number of collectors far beyond what your limited imagination seems able to process. Your insights were worn out in the famous David Hall vs. John J. Fraud debate almost 35 years ago. I'm an old dog like you, but learning a few new tricks has been a pleasure. B)
  • What is most interesting to me, is the magnificent strength of the CAC Board, to unite ptolemyll and Vincent.Savage (whoo'd a' thunk!) in a common critique of the perceived resident curmudgeon collector.
  • I don’t place comments on this board to criticize but to stir up interest other than just tiresome slab grade & registry comments. As for Mr. Savage’s comments that I supposedly
    “ target successful collectors at very high levels”, take a look at my avatar. It ain’t there for no reason.
  • edited July 2022
    mellado said:

I don’t place comments on this board to criticize but to stir up interest other than just tiresome slab grade & registry comments. As for Mr. Savage’s comments that I supposedly
    “ target successful collectors at very high levels”, take a look at my avatar. It ain’t there for no reason.

Your experience, as estimable as it may be, is trivial compared to the accomplishments of many members here. You have a very specialized area of expertise. It has nothing to do with the topics focused upon here. Our tiresome and pedestrian maunderings likely bore you. Your snobbery and condescension are palpable.
  • mellado said:

I don’t place comments on this board to criticize but to stir up interest other than just tiresome slab grade & registry comments. As for Mr. Savage’s comments that I supposedly

Re your avatar. Where does it fall in the condition census? ;)
  • Mr Elite, I am trying to buy you a ticket on Elons next trip into space if it during the August ANA sale.......I'll send you dealers too....