First complete St. Gaudens $20 CAC set - Page 4 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

First complete St. Gaudens $20 CAC set

Comments

• Legend said:

Mr Elite, I am trying to buy you a ticket on Elons next trip into space if it during the August ANA sale.......I'll send you dealers too....

Space launches are done early in the day; the Saints will go off on Platinum Night.
    I think I just saved you several million bucks. You can buy me sushi and we're even :#
  • ptolemyII said:

Legend said:

Mr Elite, I am trying to buy you a ticket on Elons next trip into space if it during the August ANA sale.......I'll send you dealers too....

Space launches are done early in the day; the Saints will go off on Platinum Night.
    I think I just saved you several million bucks. You can buy me sushi and we're even :#
    I think her idea was to buy Mr. Elite a one way ticket.😉
  • edited July 2022
    I knew my chance to get to #1 is when Simpson eventually sells his set. I just didn't expect that to be so soon! It's going to be a blockbuster auction.

I’m really excited for you and for all of us .  We will all win as we share in the excitement much like fans enjoy watching their favorite team win !   

I wonder if you’ll auction off or sell privately some of your crumbs , you know the ones that you’re embarrassed by.  ? Lol

I noticed your ‘33 PCGS Label references Farouk with no Elite being attached .  May I ask if you’ll be using an Elite Collections label on your collection ?   

Perhaps its not part of your ego , it would be my ego to want my own label.   But that would be more for me and my heirs to enjoy.

In your case , setting it up as pedigree will lend itself to an amazing provenance , down the line even more so . 

P.S. I get leaving the Farouk only on the 1933.

Its a piece of numismatic history !  

• I wonder if you’ll auction off or sell privately some of your crumbs , you know the ones that you’re embarrassed by.  ? Lol

When I upgrade, I will most like auction my duplicates on Great Collections.

I noticed your ‘33 PCGS Label references Farouk with no Elite being attached .  May I ask if you’ll be using an Elite Collections label on your collection ?   

Perhaps its not part of your ego , it would be my ego to want my own label.   But that would be more for me and my heirs to enjoy.

In your case , setting it up as pedigree will lend itself to an amazing provenance , down the line even more so .
    Yeah, I have not yet created a custom label for Elite Collection yet. I plan to once I'm mostly done building my set. For now, I'm still upgrading many coins a year. Once that slows down, maybe after Simpson's auction, I will put all my coins in an Elite Collection holder. Stay tuned!
  • We still want to see your 1921! :)
  • edited July 2022
    Nic said:
    We still want to see your 1921! :)
    Sure. It's going to be this one: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/45420965  ;)
  • I wonder if you’ll auction off or sell privately some of your crumbs , you know the ones that you’re embarrassed by.  ? Lol
    When I upgrade, I will most like auction my duplicates on Great Collections.

Yeah, I have not yet created a custom label for Elite Collection yet. I plan to once I'm mostly done building my set. For now, I'm still upgrading many coins a year. Once that slows down, maybe after Simpson's auction, I will put all my coins in an Elite Collection holder. Stay tuned!  

Thank you for the reply.   Looking forward to it.

Cant wait till they hit GC !  👍🏻🙏🏻
  • edited July 2022
    You're right; you could do better on a 1921. There are still a couple of nice ones (in existence). Tell me you bought the Danny Ratner/Brian Hendleson Specimen and you're my hero more than for the 1933. Dave Akers was stunned when he saw it. I still remember the day it sold! B)

@TheCoinHound can verify that the ANS had on display a 1921 $20 that by the standards of the day (1989) was an MS66. De-accession has placed more than one of these on the market. It's doable if you have free money >:) o:)
  • edited July 2022
    I wouldn't argue with a custom label. Some prior provenances would yet still be worth a mention.

Legend sold an exquisite group of proof $10 Indians recently. They were encased in customized holders of a significantly larger size than any others I've seen and more a tribute to the collector than an effective display of the collection. I thought that they distracted from the wonder coins within. Consider the esthetic mini-furor over the Pogue inserts. When the contents are considered, the simple standard color label noting "Bass Sylloge" will be classy enough.
    A different holder size? Please do not...... o:)
  • ptolemyII said:

You're right; you could do better on a 1921. There are still a couple of nice ones (in existence). Tell me you bought the Danny Ratner/Brian Hendleson Specimen and you're my hero more than for the 1933. Dave Akers was stunned when he saw it. I still remember the day it sold! B)

@TheCoinHound can verify that the ANS had on display a 1921 $20 that by the standards of the day (1989) was an MS66. De-accession has placed more than one of these on the market. It's doable if you have free money >:) And if you have an excellent life expectancy :#

That 1921 proof coin is way overpriced at $2M.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/saint-gaudens-double-eagles/double-eagles/1921-20-pr64-ngc-cac-jd-1-r8-as-a-proof-pcgs-89172-/a/1333-3499.s

It was supposedly sold last year. But Brian Hendleson still owns it, so it looks like something fishy happened. If you ask me, I don't think anyone really bid $2M for the coin. I personally don't like the coin. It's not even worth $1M to me and it doesn't really fit my sets.
  • ptolemyII said:

I wouldn't argue with a custom label. Some prior provenances are worth a mention.

Legend sold an exquisite group of proof $10 Indians recently. There were special customized holder of a significantly larger size than any others I've seen. I thought that they distracted from the wonder coins within. So please don't...... o:)

Wait til you see my custom label. ;)
  • edited July 2022

ptolemyII said:

@TheCoinHound can verify that the ANS had on display a 1921 $20 that by the standards of the day (1989) was an MS66. De-accession has placed more than one of these on the market. It's doable if you have free money >:) And if you have an excellent life expectancy :#

That 1921 proof coin is way overpriced at $2M.
    https://coins.ha.com/itm/saint-gaudens-double-eagles/double-eagles/1921-20-pr64-ngc-cac-jd-1-r8-as-a-proof-pcgs-89172-/a/1333-3499.s

It was supposedly sold last year. But Brian Hendleson still owns it, so it looks like something fishy happened. If you ask me, I don't think anyone really bid $2M for the coin. I personally don't like the coin. It's not even worth $1M to me and it doesn't really fit my sets.
    I won't argue valuation, but your negative opinion of either the coin's quality (64+) or Specimen status would be one which is not widely held. I don't know one practical numismatist whom, from the day it showed up, didn't recognize it as something very special. You should talk to my old Long Beach tablemate John Dannreuther. About this one and the Sotheby's coin. He knows a bit more than most about gold. He helped Tyrant quite a bit ;) On this specific coin, get schooled by the best; both your advisors know his work. :D
  • I don't have a negative opinion on the coin's quality or specimen status. It's for sure a special coin. My dislike for the coin has more to do with the value of the coin, or should I say how the value seem to have been fabricated. It looks like it's now a PCGS SP 64+ coin with a price guide value of $2.75M. :#
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1921-20-satin-special-strike/89172
  • edited July 2022
    Thanks for the explanation ;) . Three-for-three on your reasoning B)
    As @Legend has noted, the current owner, who certainly bought the coin back after buying out Ratner's half several years ago, is not prone to offering bargains. >:) The two of them valued it a lot more back then than anyone else. I'm guessing the buy-out was not far over the initial million-six-or-so cost. The coin now carries a public stigma as shopworn goods :s
    It could sell via private treaty for under $2,000,000 to someone with free money sufficient discretionary funds and a yen for "something more special". Go figure out a 1796 25c at $3,250,000. And I'm a classicist! There are far fewer 1927-D's surviving; virtually all (13?) grade 64 or better. An MS64 or better 1921 is much rarer in toto and one of the pedigreed MS66's (per his former agent the late Jim Jelinski) is now in a trans-generational trust that irritates Laurie. I can easily sympathize with her chagrin if the other one is Simpson's. Both are OMFUG B) So is Brian's :#
    In a serious coin negotiation the adjectives wear down quickly because due diligence easily informs both sides of its rarity and quality. The reasons why either party values it becomes irrelevant. It's about numbers. Dealers have cash-flow issues that collectors do not.
    AWA's all-time $20 Lib set was priced "over market" because there'd never been anything close to such a "finest known" set before. DLH paid @cnncoins way over $10 million for it because it was a great addition to the core of his project, Chris helped build the set; he and the owner could calibrate their market values like no one else. Per Chris, Dell flew in, they chatted, he wrote the check and was home in time for dinner. Not "too much", just beyond most peoples' understanding.
    Who wants a monster '21? It might not be either of you two. @MrJohnson could be on the phone all a-tingle because he made $10M in free money today shorting Etherium. And there could be other johnsons almost as concupiscent in their desire. :o
  • I wish I could find some owners that offer bargains.
  • In my opinion, the 21 is a stone-cold proof.  A rough crowd! Heck, it brought about 1.3m in a mint state holder almost 2 decades ago. NGC had to cut out a special core for this coin as it wouldn’t fit into a normal Saint holder. If one were to conceal  the date  in the holder and show it to experts, I’d bet they’d all agree it was a 1909 $20 in proof. Some have doubts as they are insecure about the lack of mint records, reminds me when we identified the 1927 nickels decades ago at NGC   
  • Way over my price range and more importantly my comfort zone.
  • I love the Proof/Specimen 1921 - whatever you want to call it. I have always thought it was a no-brainer Proof, including the first time I saw it, at Dan Ratner's table, shortly after he'd won it in 2006. The coin is so blatantly different and special looking, I'm surprised it was ever graded as a business strike.
  • NicNic
    edited July 2022
    Nic said:
    We still want to see your 1921! :)

Sure. It's going to be this one: https://www.pcgs.com/cert/45420965  ;)

I'm not sorry I started the 1921 chat.
  • 1921 was an interesting year at the mint, but apparently poorly documented or records have been lost or destroyed. Not to throw this thread too far off track, but I have a “stone cold proof” 1921 Peace Dollar that only NGC will call proof- PCGS calls it “VAM-1H with die polish lines” due to lack of historical documentation