First complete St. Gaudens $20 CAC set - Page 5 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

First complete St. Gaudens $20 CAC set

Comments

• edited July 2022
    My understanding, based on a conversation I had several years ago with Rick Montgomery of NGC, was that NGC would no longer call them proofs. Yours is :D
  • 1921 was an interesting year at the mint, but apparently poorly documented or records have been lost or destroyed. Not to throw this thread too far off track, but I have a “stone cold proof” 1921 Peace Dollar that only NGC will call proof- PCGS calls it “VAM-1H with die polish lines” due to lack of historical documentation

you certainly went way too far off track from the main 1921 topic, but i must say .. wow!

that's special too .. now i want both special proofs
  • 1921 was an interesting year at the mint, but apparently poorly documented or records have been lost or destroyed. Not to throw this thread too far off track, but I have a “stone cold proof” 1921 Peace Dollar that only NGC will call proof- PCGS calls it “VAM-1H with die polish lines” due to lack of historical documentation

Hi - does NGC grade your Peace Dollar Proof with a numerical grade? Or "Struck from Proof Dies" and MS-xx?

• edited July 2022
    Jack Lee and I owned one raw that wouldn't get the NGC Proof attribution even though it matched another one he owned by himself. We two were behind the curve in terms of TPG scholarship.

l'm not entirely up-to-date on this, but evidently at some point (seems at least a dozen or more years ago) they found the die markers that were thought used to strike only proofs showing up on coins that missed many other proof characteristics. NGC President and super-authenticator Rick Montgomery sent me quite convincing comparison photos. They no longer offer a Satin Finish Proof classification.

Sometimes all you can do to enjoy a coin is look at it. Jeesh :#

In a segue back onto Saints, Some MCMVII High Reliefs lost their Proof status attribution based on a similar assumedly unique die usage. And a rumored lawsuit >:)

The Browning coin is the best I've ever seen of this die variety, and a world apart in fabric and quality from any of the other 40+ of that ilk. Specimen 67 might not be far off.
  • edited July 2022
    1921 was an interesting year at the mint, but apparently poorly documented or records have been lost or destroyed. Not to throw this thread too far off track, but I have a “stone cold proof” 1921 Peace Dollar that only NGC will call proof- PCGS calls it “VAM-1H with die polish lines” due to lack of historical documentation

Hi - does NGC grade your Peace Dollar Proof with a numerical grade? Or "Struck from Proof Dies" and MS-xx?
    It’s in a straight graded proof holder. I would prefer it in a PCGS holder so I could put it in my Registry sets, but I guess I’ll just take @ptolemyII advice and love it as it is! And my apologies for the thread derailment!

• edited July 2022
    Read my above post. I know what the holder says.
    Likely Mr. Montgomery led the attribution team and he, too, thought so at the time. NGC will not attribute these as Proofs any longer.
    As cool as they are, AFAIK they aren't needed for registry set completion/points, so they don't matter hardly at all (sarcasm).
    Resale is limited.
  • ptolemyII said:
    Read my above post. I know what the holder says. . Likely Mr. Montgomery led the attribution team and he, too, thought so at the time. NGC will not attribute these as Proofs any longer. As cool as they are, AFAIK they aren't needed for registry set completion/points, so they don't matter hardly at all (sarcasm). . Resale is limited.
    I was just answering Ian’s question about what holder it’s in. It’s the coolest Peace $ in my collection at the moment so I’m happy with it. 
  • i also think it's a cool peace dollar and i really enjoy learning more from @ptolemyII .. so much to discover here

i'm truly sorry for hijacking this post even further from the original, but i wonder why the ngc straight graded proof holder does not also have a sticker .. does anyone have ideas to share here?
  • i also think it's a cool peace dollar and i really enjoy learning more from @ptolemyII .. so much to discover here

i'm truly sorry for hijacking this post even further from the original, but i wonder why the ngc straight graded proof holder does not also have a sticker .. does anyone have ideas to share here?

It's a special coin, but that doesn't change whether or not it's graded accurately based on CAC standards. Or perhaps CAC has reversed itself and no longer accepts Satin Proofs.
  • Looks like a 1921 Saint  proof coin will be on display at the ANA show this  year, according to coin world.
  • FF, I assume it was you who bought the secret 1922 PCGS PR67 CAC we sold recently? ALL real PR Peace Dollars are wicked cool
  • Legend said:
    FF, I assume it was you who bought the secret 1922 PCGS PR67 CAC we sold recently? ALL real PR Peace Dollars are wicked cool
    Well, now that you mention it……it is an amazing coin! 

• To note, Elite has mentioned on the NGC forum that he also owns the only legal 33 so in that context his Saint set can never be beat.

That's true. PCGS doesn't include the 1933 in their CAC Saints registry set, but it's arguably needed for a true complete set.
    I can understand why the '33 isn't included. It would make every other set look incomplete.
  • I finished my St. Gaudens $20 CAC set. It's the first ever complete set of all CAC saints as far as I know!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/gold/20-gold-major-sets/st-gaudens-20-gold-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1907-1932-cac/7613

Half Dome, your move. :D

_________
    "Half Dome, your move". <3 Good fun.
  • If pcgs is going to put the 1958 DDO Lincoln in the major Lincoln varieties set then they should be consistent and put other coins with only 1-3 known (er legal to own) in the registry sets.

• It must be great to be Donald Trump wealthy. 

I know right ….  ( in my best Fran Drescher voice ) 

Especially since it’s all FREE money 💰!!! 🤓
  • I know right ….  ( in my best Fran Drescher voice ) 

Especially since it’s all FREE money 💰!!! 🤓

Everyone loves free money. :smile:

• edited August 2022
    CACfan said:

I'd love to make it public and will do so in due time. Due to the competitive nature of registry sets, I've opted to keep the set private for now. Plus, there's 1 or 2 coins in my set that I'm too embarrassed to show. :D When my set is complete or near complete, I will make it public and maybe even display it at a coin show or two.

It must be great to be Donald Trump wealthy. All of you billionaires seem to prefer Saints above all else. Congrats on the set completion. But when it comes to $20's, I will stick to mainly dealing with Libs because they are so much cheaper considering their relative rarity, and thus far easier to sell for a profit.

I hope that post wasn’t intended to sound as inconsiderate as it came across to me.
    Seeing as how EliteCollection is a collector, not a dealer, it’s highly doubtful that his purchase decisions are motivated by how easy the coins are to sell for a profit. And not all billionaire coin collectors prefer Saints above all else.
  • john said:

That is sort of a strange backhand, without any purpose. I wonder if you understand what the point is.

Back at ya.