Would CAC grade this coin in this holder? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Would CAC grade this coin in this holder?

I am thinking of trying to purchase this coin but the plastic has a cloud over the FI in five cents as well as some obverse rim cloud  issues around 5 and 11 o’clock. I am told all the scratches are on the plastic not the coin by the auction house. Will CAC grade this coin or does it need to be reholdered. Your thoughts please.

Comments

• A light application of Simichrome will remove most slab plastic issues.
    On a deep scratch, it will smooth it a lot and make it less noticeable.
    Apply with finger, buff with cloth.

lightly. :)
  • Pyrite said:
    A light application of Simichrome will remove most slab plastic issues. On a deep scratch, it will smooth it a lot and make it less noticeable. Apply with finger, buff with cloth. lightly. :)
    Thanks for your feedback. 
  • A minor point I'm sure you understand. But my OCD brain makes it impossible to ignore. CAC doesn't "grade" coins, just stickers them. Good luck whatever you decide.
  • A minor point I'm sure you understand. But my OCD brain makes it impossible to ignore. CAC doesn't "grade" coins, just stickers them. Good luck whatever you decide.

I’ve seen several people write something similar. However, my (realistic part of my) brain makes it impossible to ignore...CAC has to assess and form grading opinions of coins in order to decide whether to sticker them. So, they don’t just sticker them.
  • MarkFeld said:

A minor point I'm sure you understand. But my OCD brain makes it impossible to ignore. CAC doesn't "grade" coins, just stickers them. Good luck whatever you decide.

I’ve seen several people write something similar. However, my (realistic part of my) brain makes it impossible to ignore...CAC has to assess and form grading opinions of coins in order to decide whether to sticker them. So, they don’t just sticker them.
    Agreed. I, and many others believe that CAC has more stringent grading standards than the TPGs themselves. Which is why we value coins with the CAC sticker more than their counterparts that do not. The sticker is merely an indicator that the coin has been through this stringent grading process and has been deemed to be high quality for the given grade. CAC definitely "grades" coins, and a clean, scratch free slab helps.

I've had success with Turtle Wax headlight scratch remover, but there are tons of products out there that will do it.