New record price for 1955 Franklin PF67CAM... $3000 plus! Non CAC — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

New record price for 1955 Franklin PF67CAM... $3000 plus! Non CAC

edited July 2022 in Silver Coins
At GC last night. I know there is a very prominent Franklin dealer who swears he has developed a process to improve proof coins that have discolored from a cardboard proof set box. He claims GREAT success. I wonder if that is the plan for this coin which hammered for $3101. It is normally about a $175 coin.
https://photos.greatcollections.com/0/1185905-2.jpg

Of course, the coin isn't truly sold until the return period has expired...

Please excuse the copyright violation Mr. Russell

Comments

• Someone really really wanted it, that is no lie or assumption. Lets see if it gets returned, the odds are high that I will be imho.
  • Realone said:

Someone really really wanted it, that is no lie or assumption. Lets see if it gets returned, the odds are high that I will be imho.

That's quite negative. We have maybe 2 coins out of 2500-3500 sold each week returned, so the odds are extremely low for a return.

Setting that aside, the winning bidder is happy, and the underbidder still wants the coin. A strong result, but the coin was above average for the grade in my opinion.

- Ian
  • Possibly a gold cac sticker??
  • Someone really really wanted it, that is no lie or assumption. Lets see if it gets returned, the odds are high that I will be imho.
    That's quite negative. We have maybe 2 coins out of 2500-3500 sold each week returned, so the odds are extremely low for a return. Setting that aside, the winning bidder is happy, and the underbidder still wants the coin. A strong result, but the coin was above average for the grade in my opinion. - Ian
    Do you think that it deserves a gold cac sticker??
  • WilliamJ said:

Realone said:

Someone really really wanted it, that is no lie or assumption. Lets see if it gets returned, the odds are high that I will be imho.

That's quite negative. We have maybe 2 coins out of 2500-3500 sold each week returned, so the odds are extremely low for a return.

Setting that aside, the winning bidder is happy, and the underbidder still wants the coin. A strong result, but the coin was above average for the grade in my opinion.

- Ian

Do you think that it deserves a gold cac sticker??

No, not a gold CAC candidate in my opinion.

- Ian
  • Realone said:

Do you have a well reasoned basis for your "odds are high" it gets returned, opinion? Let's see if you do. Odds are high that you don't. "imho".
  • To the OP.... I was the consignor..;. the coin has been returned. Learn to keep your mouth shut until sales are final. :'(
    >:)
  • Madness. Just plain madness for a common coin in 1 grade point less. This cannot and should not last.
  • What? I didn't even know that there was a return period.  What are GC rules?
        How can someone back out when a bidder  did  not accidentally push an extra 0 button or something? 
        Personally I was wondering about it.ptolemyII said:
    To the OP.... I was the consignor..;. the coin has been returned. Learn to keep your mouth shut until sales are final. :'( >:)
    I would be very upset that the sale did not go through!
  • WilliamJ said:

What? I didn't even know that there was a return period.  What are GC rules?
        How can someone back out when a bidder  did  not accidentally push an extra 0 button or something? 
        Personally I was wondering about it.ptolemyII said:

To the OP.... I was the consignor..;. the coin has been returned. Learn to keep your mouth shut until sales are final. :'(
    >:)

I would be very upset that the sale did not go through!

I believe that he was joking.
  • edited July 2022
    @MarkFeld - You believe correctly.
    Hopefully my comment made a few people think about how their behavior affects others in this business. :s

edited to add: I hope it's clear that my claim of consignorship was part of a clumsy moral lesson. I wish I was the consignor. GC is a prime trading nexus for high quality material of this sort :) .
  • I once bid a $100,000 on a $10,000 coin by accident. I  stood behind my bid increment but called the auction company and explained that I pushed an extra 0. Luckily they did not make me uphold to the higher bid amount, and I lost the coin, but now I wished that I had won it!
  • Realone said:

We have maybe 2 coins out of 2500-3500 sold each week returned...
    - Ian
    Just out of curiosity, are the returns recycled as normal lots or are they the coins offered as BIN? BTW, that return rate is super low and really quite remarkable.
  • Realone said:

We have maybe 2 coins out of 2500-3500 sold each week returned...
    - Ian
    Just out of curiosity, are the returns recycled as normal lots or are they the coins offered as BIN? BTW, that return rate is super low and really quite remarkable.
    This depends on the situation - sometimes sold to the underbidder or relisted in auction. But since it's rare, we don't have a set policy.

- Ian
    We have maybe 2 coins out of 2500-3500 sold each week returned... - Ian
    This depends on the situation - sometimes sold to the underbidder or relisted in auction. But since it's rare, we don't have a set policy. - Ian

We have maybe 2 coins out of 2500-3500 sold each week returned... - Ian
    Ian I was wondering the NON CAC coins you receive for your auction are most from dealers or most collectors?
  • Stevie said:

Ian I was wondering the NON CAC coins you receive for your auction are most from dealers or most collectors?
    It's very evenly mixed - it depends on the week, but roughly 50% from collectors and 50% from dealers. A large portion of the dealer coins are also very fresh older holders etc.

- Ian