Is this 1918-S Standing Lib 25¢ full head ? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Is this 1918-S Standing Lib 25¢ full head ?

Not my series but I felt fortunate to be browsing Franklins when the seller listed a string of AU SLQ's in the wrong category. I snapped this one up as it was not only the only example he listed that had head detail but also appeared to have the least amount of wear. Looks like it may have a some PVC I will have to deal with. I am thinking 58FH if it cleans up a bit...

Comments

• It looks FH to me, but AU58 seems optimistic.
  • edited July 2022
    I see the strong earhole and the weaker but technically well-enough defined three feathers at the top of her cap, but not the clearly defined helmet-cap/brow line.
    I also see thick enough PVC clouding that I'm pessimistic about conservation. There's usually corrosion underneath that's caused by the chemicals rotting the surfaces.
    If you conserve it, please share the solvent(s)/process and images of the results. :)

Try immersing in alcohol, then some alcohol on a Q-Tip. If things aren't clear enough, go to an acetone immersion. You will eventually get a clearer idea of what's under the crud with less disruption to what might be problematic if less incremental steps are taken.
  • ptolemyII said:

I see the strong earhole and the weaker but technically well-enough defined three feathers at the top of her cap, but not the clearly defined helmet-cap/brow line.
    I also see thick enough PVC clouding that I'm pessimistic about conservation. There's usually corrosion underneath that's caused by the chemicals rotting the surfaces.
    If you conserve it, please share the solvent(s)/process and images of the results. :)

Try immersing in alcohol, then some alcohol on a Q-Tip. If things aren't clear enough, go to an acetone immersion. You will eventually get a clearer idea of what's under the crud with less disruption to what might be problematic if less incremental steps are taken.

You see a lot - well done!
  • I’ll happily remove the pvc if needed.  JA 
  • edited July 2022
    JACAC said:

I’ll happily remove the pvc if needed.  JA 

"If needed"?
    Many of my most useful solvents evaporated, and the best, Dissolve, speeded up global warming too :'(
  • RS- it’s needed yes, I’m offering assistance in case Bushmaster isn’t comfortable with de-pvcing. JA
  • That is super nice of you JA
  • edited July 2022
    JACAC said:

RS- it’s needed yes, I’m offering assistance in case Bushmaster isn’t comfortable with de-pvcing. JA

I'd like to be there. I have this recurrent mage of the "disk" fizzing like an Alka-Seltzer when it hits the liquid. :#
    After you clean this up, can you work on the Childs 1804 $1 next?
  • Thank you for the offer JA! Coin is out for delivery but 1100 miles away, so I won't be able to evaluate for a week or so.
  • I have seen numerous NGC Details SLQ's with obviously drilled head details yet only the cleaning or other single problem is noted on NGC's insert. The 1918/7-S is a particularly popular target for the drill doctor.
  • I was finally able to view this coin in hand and was quite pleased to find no apparent active PVC. The dark glob on the shield could be old inactive PVC. Luster is outstanding but I am revising my grade opinion to AU53 or 55, due to the leg friction. It's gone to PCGS so we'll have their opinion in about half of a year...
  • WooHoo! Grade back from PCGS. 58FH

Hard to visualize the luster from PCGS TruView.
  • edited December 2022
    Darn shame the way Trueview has devolved.

Looks totally different in real life.

I like this coin a lot. Brings back memory of digging a 1918-D from under an old park bench with a metal detector disguised as a picnic basket. I took that coin home and scrubbed it with baking soda. It kept looking newer and newer as I cleaned it. Must have been really pristine when it went into the ground because 60 some years post burial and despite the abuse by myself the coin graded MS63 at ANACS.
    Wow! Nice!
  • That cleaned up well, nice work. Congrats on the grade. Got to love the bay.