Proof Trade Dollar Set (Sadly the 1884 and 1885 were sold separately)... — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Proof Trade Dollar Set (Sadly the 1884 and 1885 were sold separately)...

Nice to see an original Trade Dollar Proof set like this - unfortunately, the 1884 and 1885 were both sold separately in the same auction back in the day.

Comments

• edited July 2022
    Pretty neat grouping! I know I can look it up, but you're teasing us if we don't know how far back in the day the Worrell sale was held ;)
    Prices realized would be fun too :)
    @Ian, I know from a private conversation that you're promoting this year's ANA sale with "a great deal of restraint" but if this is a sample of what's coming you will be earning a lot of attention. B)

• It was back in 1989 at Superior. The 1884 and 1885 were sold in the same auction (separately).

We do have some pretty cool things planned for the ANA - we're not doing a live auction (this year), but will have extensive lot viewing for future auctions at GC, not to mention a very special display (stay tuned for news on that).

- Ian
  • edited July 2022
    I looked in that 1989 Superior sale briefly and did not find it or the other trade dollars as it appears that the 1989 sale only had 1 Trade dollar listed. I did find it with the correct lot number as tagged in a subsequent Superior 9/28/1993 sale Lot 1323. The 1884 and 1885 were lots 1324 and 1325. The Proof set was in black and white but the 1884 and 1885 were in the color plate section. No PRL attached on the NNP
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctionlots?AucCoId=511782&AuctionId=522870
  • It must have been one of the last sets the owner purchased. Almost everything else was in the 1980s. Here's another item from the same group:

• edited July 2022
    Nice to see sets in Capital Plastics holders, but that isn't remotely close to what I might call an original set of Trade Dollars. It looks more like it was assembled in the 1970's or early 80's.
  • Nice to see sets in Capital Plastics holders, but that isn't remotely close to what I might call an original set of Trade Dollars. It looks more like it was assembled in the 1970's or early 80's.
    I agree.   That was actually my first thought when I saw it.
  • Nice to see sets in Capital Plastics holders, but that isn't remotely close to what I might call an original set of Trade Dollars. It looks more like it was assembled in the 1970's or early 80's.

LOTS of "sets" were -assembled- in the 1970s.