JA and Witter Coin U — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

JA and Witter Coin U

edited July 2022 in Conservation
The students and instructors at Witter Coin were thrilled to have a conference call with John Albanese on Friday afternoon. The discussion centered around some great questions about the coin market, gold Cac stickers, the values of toned coins, and what it took to be a successful coin dealer when he began in the late 1970s. Thanks John!
Tagged:

Comments

• JA looks like a ghost!

I hope these kids just love coins and don't want to be crackout dealers. We need more dealers who care and who want to expand the hobby, not get instant gratification.
  • @Legend I agree completely. We don't need more flippers in this hobby. We need honest dealers that seek to grow and respect the hobby.
  • These YN’s attending Witter U. are receiving tremendous value. Having a live Q&A with JA just adds to that value.

Kudos to Seth and all of the other top experts who have chosen to provide their invaluable insights and time to these YN’s. You’re very special people, and our wonderful hobby is better for having you! Thank you!

Steve
  • These YN’s attending Witter U. are receiving tremendous value. Having a live Q&A with JA just adds to that value.

Kudos to Seth and all of the other top experts who have chosen to provide their invaluable insights and time to these YN’s. You’re very special people, and our wonderful hobby is better for having you! Thank you!

Steve

I agree ! :)
  • edited July 2022
    There was a lot of intense trading going on at that the event, which made for a lot of fun. But it wasn't trading for the sake of grading. It involved a TON of raw coins, show and tell, and a huge appreciation for toned coins and Gold CAC stickers. There was a lot of interest in world and ancient coins, which provided for diversity. But it certainly wasn't a trade and grade event. For those of us who attended and taught, it certainly helped us gain an appreciation of how Instagram provides for a different future in the hobby.

The main instructors: Devin Hipp (Stack's Bowers), Jim Stoutjesdyk (Heritage), Steve Feltner (PCGS), David McCarthy (Kagin's) and myself, John Brush (DLRC). The other guest speakers that joined us for one or more days included Allen Rowe (Northern Nevada), Doug Winter, Jessica Berkman (Legend Auctions), and John Dannreuther (PCGS and himself).

As an instructor, we enjoyed some really late nights hanging out in the lobby talking about coins. And the kids were thrilled when experts like Allen Rowe and JD stayed up until 2am talking about the coin business and coin research. The enthusiasm, interest, and knowledge that these kids showed really gives hope for the future of the hobby!

• Witter U should have Roger Burdette guest speak and inject some numismatic history into their learning.
  • Catbert said:

Witter U should have Roger Burdette guest speak and inject some numismatic history into their learning.

That's exactly what John Dannreuther and David McCarthy added to the week and their insight into numismatic research and history was fascinating. If Roger wanted to come out next year, I'm sure he'd be welcomed to do so.
  • Sounds like it was a great event. The hobby is lucky to have so many people willing to give back to it.
  • The hobby grows with every new collector. It's a wonderful sight to see. And not just with YNs but there are a lot of older people coming into or back to numismatics as well it seems as of late.