Instagram? What am I Missing Out On? - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Instagram? What am I Missing Out On?

Comments

• Sigh....
  • Should the aforementioned social media sites start to list actual rare coins and not just common modern stuff, get back to us. Meanwhile, I will continue to concentrate on Ebay.
  • Below are all coins I have either bought or sold on IG in the past two years.  None are a chain cent, but I wouldn’t call them “common modern stuff” either.

Yes, as a modern social media platform it’s full of malarkey and imbeciles and marketing- I just try to narrow down my feed to the good parts and click the “ignore”/“show me less” button on everything else.  Can totally understand how that is cumbersome and not worth the trouble for many, which is fine… I’ve just found enough cool coins for my set and made some good BST relationships so for me personally the good outweighs the bad.  I don’t use Facebook or twitter or any others, this one I can narrow it to coins.  Your mileage may vary. 

• CACfan said:

Should the aforementioned social media sites start to list actual rare coins and not just common modern stuff, get back to us. Meanwhile, I will continue to concentrate on Ebay.

You must be in touch (or more accurately, not in touch) with the wrong people. We’re offered and have bought higher value, rare classic coins through some of those platforms.
  • I agree with Circulated and MarkFeld on this .

In the last few days I picked up a 1927 $20 ms 67 Saint , 1905 $2.50 Liberty ms 67 cac and a 1914 D $2.50 indian ms 64+ cac from these platforms .

The $2.50 Lib & Indian arrive tomorrow. 👍🏻🤗🙏🏻
  • I agree with Circulated and MarkFeld on this .

In the last few days I picked up a 1927 $20 ms 67 Saint , 1905 $2.50 Liberty ms 67 cac and a 1914 D $2.50 indian ms 64+ cac from these platforms .

Sorry, but if you acquired them through any of those platforms, they must not be actual rare coins, just common modern stuff.

😉😉
  • Ha! I can see all the way over in Florida your tongue poking your cheek, lol.

Steve
  • MarkFeld said:
    I agree with Circulated and MarkFeld on this .

Sorry, but if you acquired them through any of those platforms, they must not be actual rare coins, just common modern stuff. 😉😉
    Yeah you are right .  What was I thinking 🤦🏻‍♂️🤓

Especially that 1914 D  !!    
  • I guess I registered sometime in the distant ignorant past.
    Just checked. Got in, crappy navigation.
    Forget it for me.

• eBay, GreatCollections and Facebook is where the serious buyers are nowadays.

@fadetoblack1004 which Facebook groups would you consider the best and with the most serious buyers? (CDHCD notwithstanding)

Just curious and want to expand my horizons, though I try to limit Facebook usage as much as possible these days.
  • Speaking of facebook…. On my ipad it is now written in French. I tried to get it back to English. Does not convert back. My same facebook works in English on my iphone using the same account.
    No customer service. They do not know how facebook even works.
  • I signed up for instagram early this year.  Have been posting my collection on there, some coin photography stuff, and made at least one purchase.   Have had a bunch of interesting conversations.  There is a TON of crap to scroll past but enough coin content to keep me going back every day.  

Have lurked on the witter coin videos occassionally.  I think Seth is doing a live video right now actually.  

If anyone wants to look me up on instagram my user account is hypnogold.
  • edited August 2022
    fadetoblack1004 said:
    “….eBay, GreatCollections and Facebook is where the serious buyers are nowadays.”

If that’s your list of where the serious buyers are, you need to get out (a lot) more (and fast).
  • pedzola said:

I signed up for instagram early this year.  Have been posting my collection on there, some coin photography stuff, and made at least one purchase.   Have had a bunch of interesting conversations.  There is a TON of crap to scroll past but enough coin content to keep me going back every day.  

Have lurked on the witter coin videos occassionally.  I think Seth is doing a live video right now actually.  

If anyone wants to look me up on instagram my user account is hypnogold.

Love the 56-S $20 and 1813 $5 on your instagram page.
  • MarkFeld said:

fadetoblack1004 said:
    “….eBay, GreatCollections and Facebook is where the serious buyers are nowadays.”

If that’s your list of where the serious buyers are, you need to get out (a lot) more (and fast).

We probably have different definitions of "serious buyers" here, in all fairness.
  • What is the definition that you use to define a serious buyer? I would think anyone that actually purchases a coin, regardless of the person/entity selling the coin, is a serious buyer, no?
  • edited September 2022
    john said:

What is the definition that you use to define a serious buyer? I would think anyone that actually purchases a coin, regardless of the person/entity selling the coin, is a serious buyer, no?

I'm curious, as well. In addition to your parameters, I'd add that a "serious buyer" is one who's willing to pay a reasonable/realistic price.
  • MarkFeld said:

john said:

What is the definition that you use to define a serious buyer? I would think anyone that actually purchases a coin, regardless of the person/entity selling the coin, is a serious buyer, no?

I'm curious, as well. In addition to your parameters, I'd add that a "serious buyer is one who's willing to pay a reasonable/realistic price.
    Of course, but I would extend the parameter to include the buyer that purchases a coin at what may be considered not a reasonable/realistic price, by another person. Auctions are an example. There have been numerous examples of late, in any selling or auction venue. Somebody that purchases the coin at auction or a buy-sell transaction, decided the price was reasonable/realistic, while the underbidder-or non-buyer did not. Reason and reality choices in the human brain is an area of thought/logic process as large as Texas, encompassing every walk of life, from the Comanche to the Billionaires (yes, I know, a bit of hyperbole there. I do that).
  • Alright, it's time for me to chime in.

As a 21 year old, just past the "YN" label, I'm going to make my statement on IG. I was one of the "original" IG coin collectors; I've been on IG posting coins since mid-2016. I remember when it was a VERY small tight knit group of collectors. No one bought/sold, it was simply an avenue for people to show their collection. Over the years, it grew and expanded and "dealers" (yes, I purposely put that in quotations) began to surface. The hobby involvement on IG grew at an exponential rate. As everything, when something grows that fast, quality MAJORLY degrades. I've noticed in the past two years, IG has become a cesspool of YNs creating petty drama over coin sales, etc, that spills over into a professional side of dealing because many of them try to be "dealers" when in fact they continuously lowball each other. In my time on IG, I've seen more YN "collector/dealer"s come up, move too fast, and burn out/disappear, then I've ever seen anywhere else in the numismatic community. What used to be a great place to share a love of the hobby has become the s***pile for kids, using mom and dad's money (I can concur with @fadetoblack1004 post) to post coins for sale. Half the time its a dropship they don't actually have in hand, or its a bunch of overpriced crap.

I follow quite a few "collectors" on Instagram. My feed has some truly spectacular coins come across, but the usual is overpriced junk that I wouldn't even CONSIDER offering on. Too many kids on IG think they're hot stuff, and there are certain dealers that hype that up and overinflate egos.

So, to summarize: as someone who is on Instagram and heavily involved with the community there, I can confirm a lot of the details aforementioned by others here on this forum. Instagram is not the community it once was, and I do not recommend going there if you want to buy/sell. 90% or more of the kids will lowball the s*** out of you trying to make a quick flip. They'll ignore when you say a piece is NFS and try to offer on it, whether publicly commenting or hounding you in the direct messages.

I've found Facebook is now the premier social media marketplace for numismatics. Some of my favorite public groups are Virtual Coin Show, The Vault, CAC Coins, PCGS Rattlers, and Liberty Seated Coin Show.

I'm on Instagram @vamsplus, just like my username here. Feel free to direct message me here or there if you'd like to chat more privately about what I've said here.
  • I think it’s a good platform. I’ve had several good buys there. Have met some good people and learn a lot about coins by watching videos of all sorts of coins. Yes, there’s a lot of common stuff, but some really nice stuff also pops up fairly regularly.