Rags to Riches CAC Dealer — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Rags to Riches CAC Dealer

This dealer started with nothing as a teen yet is now one of the most successful certified coin dealers on Ebay:

ebay.com/usr/westcoastcoinsoregon

Note the $250,000 1893-S Morgan that looks CAC-worthy.

Comments

• I hear he started with a great deal of family money to start in the business. Nonetheless, good for him.
  • Catbert said:

I hear he started with a great deal of family money to start in the business. Nonetheless, good for him.

I heard the opposite. Regardless, he gets gallery prices for undervalued but hard-to-sell low mintage coins. I am unsure about how he does it because I have trouble getting 80% of his prices for the same coins.
  • Catbert said:

I hear he started with a great deal of family money to start in the business. Nonetheless, good for him.

Family money means nothing without the talent to use it.
    Bravo for WestCoast Oregon. :)
  • CACfan said:

This dealer started with nothing as a teen yet is now one of the most successful certified coin dealers on Ebay:

That coin failed CAC as it's not PL.

Happy hunting.
  • CACfan said:

I've met Revick at several shows and done lots of business with him. He's a great guy, hard worker, and indeed has a stellar inventory of coins (and a mythical ability to sell coins at full retail and then some, which makes him the envy of plenty ;) ;)

One thing I particularly admire: At one of the recent McIntosh shows in Sacramento, doors officially opened at 6am for dealer setup. I got there at 5:30am so I could get a slight head start and have time to walk the floor after I finished setting up.

When I walked in, the room was empty except for the McIntoshes (obviously) and West Coast Coins - who were fully and completely setup, organized, and ready to do business (at 5:30am!).
  • CACfan said:

Happy hunting.
    AU58's have to be PL to be CAC beaned? CAC or not, it is an 1893-S in a 1980's NGC slab. It will likely sell for a crazily high price.
  • CACfan said:

CACfan said:

Happy hunting.
    AU58's have to be PL to be CAC beaned? CAC or not, it is an 1893-S in a 1980's NGC slab. It will likely sell for a crazily high price.
    I would hope so, since “PL” is included on the NGC label and CAC includes an assessment of designations as part of their evaluation process.
  • MarkFeld said:

CACfan said:

CACfan said:

Happy hunting.
    I would hope so, since “PL” is included on the NGC label and CAC includes an assessment of designations as part of their evaluation process.
    But when did NGC start saying PL on Morgans? Might this 1893-S be called PL now? I have actually discussed this coin with this dealer.

Since you were an NGC grader, why is NGC more liberal at using the PL designation, at least for the semi-key and key date Morgans in which I deal? I have never been able to get an NGC or ANACS PL Morgan crossed over by PCGS.

Morgan PL population comparisons (all grades):

1884-S PCGS 5, NGC 79
    1893-S PCGS 1, NGC 2
    1894 PCGS 3, NGC 17

Yet, NGC is more conservative at calling key date Mercury dimes FB and copper coins RB or RD. Why?

• CACfan said:

MarkFeld said:

CACfan said:

CACfan said:

Happy hunting.
    But when did NGC start saying PL on Morgans? Might this 1893-S be called PL now? I have actually discussed this coin with this dealer.

Since you were an NGC grader, why is NGC more liberal at using the PL designation, at least for the semi-key and key date Morgans in which I deal? I have never been able to get an NGC or ANACS PL Morgan crossed over by PCGS.

1884-S PCGS 5, NGC 79
    1893-S PCGS 1, NGC 2
    1894 PCGS 3, NGC 17

Yet, NGC is more conservative at calling key date Mercury dimes FB and copper coins RB or RD. Why?

I don't know for certain what year NGC started using the PL designation for Morgans. But I don't remember any time when they didn't use it, so my guess is they started as soon as they were operational.

I have no idea whether the coin deserves the PL designation - I wouldn't want to guess, based on images.

I think NGC was a bit more liberal with the PL designation a long time ago, but am not sure that they still are.

Maybe a good number of your ANACS and NGC PL dollars that don't cross fail to do so, due to the grades and not the PL designations?
  • MarkFeld said:

CACfan said:

MarkFeld said:

CACfan said:

CACfan said:

Happy hunting.

1884-S PCGS 5, NGC 79
    1893-S PCGS 1, NGC 2
    1894 PCGS 3, NGC 17

I don't know for certain what year NGC started using the PL designation for Morgans. But I don't remember any time when they didn't use it, so my guess is they started as soon as they were operational.

I have no idea whether the coin deserves the PL designation - I wouldn't want to guess, based on images.

I think NGC was a bit more liberal with the PL designation a long time ago, but am not sure that they still are.

Maybe a good number of your ANACS and NGC PL dollars that don't cross fail to do so, due to the grades and not the PL designations?
    Thanks for the info. You may be right about the grades preventing PL crossovers.