1914 DDO-001 Buffalo Nickel - Value and options for attribution? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

1914 DDO-001 Buffalo Nickel - Value and options for attribution?

edited August 2022 in Grading
I recently purchased (what I believe is) a PCGS AU55 1914 DDO-001 buffalo nickel. I can't find any info online about pricing, or where I can even get it attributed. Attached pictures for viewing, feel free to weigh in on validity

Comments

• It looks like common (and worthless) shelf doubling to me, aka strike doubling, ejection doubling, machine doubling, mechanical doubling, shift doubling, etc.

If you disagree, submit the coin through PCGS's Variety Attribution service. If they agree that it is a DDO, they will call it a "minor variety" and charge you $18 plus the $13 for reholdering.
  • This is the same piece discussed on CT, no? In a PCGS 55 Holder?
  • I note you were also supplied up to date Greysheet wholesale (and CAC) pricing...the CAC numbers as listed on the CAC POPS, all above 62 (6, I think?) for the 4 over 3, when verified.
  • edited August 2022
    john said:

I note you were also supplied up to date Greysheet wholesale (and CAC) pricing...the CAC numbers as listed on the CAC POPS, all above 62 (6, I think?) for the 4 over 3, when verified.

I thought I was told to post it over here and ask, I was unaware PCGS would designate it a minor variety. Would it be a 4/3 or DDO?
  • CACfan said:
    It looks like common (and worthless) shelf doubling to me, aka strike doubling, ejection doubling, machine doubling, mechanical doubling, shift doubling, etc. If you disagree, submit the coin through PCGS's Variety Attribution service. If they agree that it is a DDO, they will call it a "minor variety" and charge you $18 plus the $13 for reholdering.
    Doesn't he need to have it regraded?  Will they attribute the coin under reholder?  I  just sent a two coins to pcgs but wasn't sure what boxes to check, neither did the pcgs customer service person.

• edited August 2022
    WilliamJ said:

CACfan said:

It looks like common (and worthless) shelf doubling to me, aka strike doubling, ejection doubling, machine doubling, mechanical doubling, shift doubling, etc.

If you disagree, submit the coin through PCGS's Variety Attribution service. If they agree that it is a DDO, they will call it a "minor variety" and charge you $18 plus the $13 for reholdering.

Doesn't he need to have it regraded?  Will they attribute the coin under reholder?  I  just sent a two coins to pcgs but wasn't sure what boxes to check, neither did the pcgs customer service person.

Coins aren’t attributed under a “reholder” submission, which is literally for reholdering the coin. And a variety attribution is a separate matter from a regrade.
  • Thanks Mark for the clarification. It makes me feel better that I didn't pay more  for the wrong service.
  • CACfan said:
    It looks like common (and worthless) shelf doubling to me, aka strike doubling, ejection doubling, machine doubling, mechanical doubling, shift doubling, etc. If you disagree, submit the coin through PCGS's Variety Attribution service. If they agree that it is a DDO, they will call it a "minor variety" and charge you $18 plus the $13 for reholdering.
    I have the coin in hand now, does this change your mind at all?
  • You said: "I have the coin in hand now, does this change your mind at all?"

Sorry, it still looks like mere shelf doubling to me. But the definitive authority is John Wexler. You can email him the photos or just visit his website:

doubleddie.com/144801.html