Dropped by the only B&M in town that qualifies as a coin shop — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Dropped by the only B&M in town that qualifies as a coin shop

It is actually a gold and silver type of operation but with the best flow of material coming in.  I drop by every couple of weeks. Went in today and walked out with five items. Had to buy this as I am slowly working on a set of rattler WLHs and thought this might be the earliest graded 16 D still in a rattler. 
Tagged:

Comments

• Gee, my initial interpretation of the title meant that the only B&M coin shop in town told you they didn’t want you as a customer anymore, lol.

Steve
  • I am sure I have been banned from worse places. :wink:
  • Nice early Walker in an early holder!
  • That is the best looking ms60 I have seen in a long time!
  • dscoin said:

That is the best looking ms60 I have seen in a long time!

I agree. From the perspective of contact marks, it is an amazing MS60. I am pretty sure that the grade speaks to the luster. Perhaps a ‘light wipe’ coin? On its way to CAC this morning. I bought five coins from the shop and sent them all in. Could be a fiasco, but when was I going to see a 16d in a rattler again? I don’t really care how it grades, I think it is cool and a keeper.

• edited September 2022
    Results are in for the coin shop purchases. A small back story.

I submitted five coins I bought from the locale B&M on this trip, and one coin from ebay

The MS 67 walker that came from the shop was already stickered, but the sticker was damaged, so this was just a resticker.

The quarter I bought from ebay. I missed an earlier 1946 S from this seller, so when a sequentially numbered example showed up, I went nuclear because I had never seen one in a rattler before. Someone else went nuclear too and they went higher and ended up paying over $200 for it. I was bummed. They returned it to get out of the bid. Seller reposted it. I offered something like $80 to $100 if they would make it a BIN. They declined and wanted to leave it an auction. Won it for $32.

When I went in, I was just looking. Often I walk out making no purchase, sometimes just one coin. Looked around and they had a few new gold coins fresh back from PCGS. 1902 s half eagle caught my eye and looked very nice. I remembered what JA had told me in our one phone conversation about a coin that didn't bean. I felt that this coin was all there. They also had the MS 67 walker that was already CAC. Didn't plan on spending any money that day but we agreed on $2400 for the pair. Of course, they don't take checks and I didn't want the added 3% fee for CC so I had my wife run to her bank and get the cash.

While I was there chatting about what I collect, the guy said he had some new coins still in the back and brought out about 8 coins. I ended up buying three. The 1916 D I showed earlier

He had a nice crusty Texas commem with a ton of originality. Not knockout rainbow tone, but crusty tone, so I bought it

They also had a really pretty York commem. No tone, but lovely patina and luster, so I bought it too.

After 10 years of practice grading based on images, getting the rare chance to actually see the coin in hand is certainly a windfall. Any ability with grading I have gained I attribute to CAC results studied and remembered. No better service for the collector in the hobby except what Witter is doing for YNs.

Clams
  • I never get bargains like these. I end up having to pay the full price at auction for the specific dates that I need for customers.
  • Impressive. The 16D good one.
  • Gee, my initial interpretation of the title meant that the only B&M coin shop in town told you they didn’t want you as a customer anymore, lol.

Steve

That’s exactly what my first thought was. “Visited” would have been much better!😉
  • MarkFeld said:

Gee, my initial interpretation of the title meant that the only B&M coin shop in town told you they didn’t want you as a customer anymore, lol.

Steve

That’s exactly what my first thought was. “Visited” would have been much better!😉
    That is EXACTLY what I toght, until I saw the OP date of 19Aug., and figured if I mentioned it now, with the member not knowing anything about me, it possibly would appear I was being a smartazz. Being a coward, I went with the compliment.
  • That should be "thought", not tought. I can't figure out how to edit here, after posting.
  • John, there should be a little gear icon in the upper right hand corner of your posts. Click on it and an “edit”option will appear. Then click on “edit” and proceed, accordingly.
  • john said:

That should be "thought", not tought. I can't figure out how to edit here, after posting.

If you tap your completed post on your iPad/phone a gear symbol will appear at the top right. You can tap it and select ‘edit’ and edit your post for up to a month.

• Good for you Clams!
    Based solely on your pic the 16d surprises me.
    Great thread.
  • john said:

That should be "thought", not tought. I can't figure out how to edit here, after posting.

If you tap your completed post on your iPad/phone a gear symbol will appear at the top right. You can tap it and select ‘edit’ and edit your post for up to a month.

I have neither. I am old. I don't even know what those are, But I do see a gear, and that seems to be the answer. Thank you.
  • MarkFeld said:

John, there should be a little gear icon in the upper right hand corner of your posts. Click on it and an “edit”option will appear. Then click on “edit” and proceed, accordingly.

I thank both of you, and I sincerely appreciate the help. I despise myself when I spell incorrectly.
  • I figured out why I have not noticed it. It appears when I hover over my post (or pre-post) and is not there when I don't, and since the last time I hovered over anything I ended up married, I am not used to doing so.
  • john said:

I figured out why I have not noticed it. It appears when I hover over my post (or pre-post) and is not there when I don't, and since the last time I hovered over anything I ended up married, I am not used to doing so.

Please note that my attempt to help you edit after “hovering”, applies only to “edit” posts, not marriages. :D
  • MarkFeld said:

john said:

I figured out why I have not noticed it. It appears when I hover over my post (or pre-post) and is not there when I don't, and since the last time I hovered over anything I ended up married, I am not used to doing so.

Please note that my attempt to help you edit after “hovering”, applies only to “edit” posts, not marriages. :D
    That was good.
    It is my mission @ Mass this Sunday, to affirm the success of your attempt.

• Phenomenal results! Wow!

Congratulations!

Steve