Fairmont JBR Set Results — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Fairmont JBR Set Results

edited August 2022 in Industry
Haven't seen any discussions on this yet. Everyone still analyzing it? Large amount of lots at 550+

I really only was looking at the half eagles, so my only observation was with exception of a few coins overall looked like prices were lower than expected/past results from the Hendricks set...

Anybody want to post newps? Any other observations?

Comments

• I too followed the half eagles. Prices did seem a bit softer than the last Fairmont auction. I was able to buy the $5 1861-C. It sold for about 10% less than the last one which was same grade and CAC.
  • I watched most of the $5 auction and results were lower then I thought (and some dealers thought too). I think that will have caught some by surprise. I seemed a number of coins went below CAC price guides (the opposite of the last few auctions).

The $10's seemed to break a lot of all time records for price for grade. I did not watch the $20's.

I was not impressed with the quality of the $5's. I would have bid on a couple but just didn't like the look of this batch.
  • I too followed the half eagles. Prices did seem a bit softer than the last Fairmont auction. I was able to buy the $5 1861-C. It sold for about 10% less than the last one which was same grade and CAC.

Congrats on the 1861 - great deal on a great coin!
  • redseals said:

I too followed the half eagles. Prices did seem a bit softer than the last Fairmont auction. I was able to buy the $5 1861-C. It sold for about 10% less than the last one which was same grade and CAC.

Congrats on the 1861 - great deal on a great coin!
    Thanks. I think it's a nice coin. Great deal? Hard to say. Time will tell.

• Thanks. I think it's a nice coin. Great deal? Hard to say. Time will tell.

Sure, fair enough, but at least a good deal when compared to Hendricks result.
  • I won a few half eagles and definitely thought prices were a little lighter than Hendricks. 
  • I was a bit surprised that the prices for some scarce to common half eagles didn’t seem to go astronomical. I bid on a few half eagles but only ended up with one. The 1901/O-S 64 CAC. I actually expected the price to go higher but it didn’t. Maybe a few coins “fell through the cracks” as they say.

• I spent a lot of money. Not only were prices less then last time, there seemed to be much less bidding. Why?

Its seems we all feel "sucker" punched. There are many more coins to still come out. While the coins maybe a grade or half a grade less then the original group, its still pretty much the same. Does not do much for a buyers enthusiasm.

There were some nice coins this time too
  • I have heard a little about where these are coming from and I agree, plenty more to come. I wonder if we are past the peak gold pricing right now?
  • edited August 2022
    I really liked the 40-O $5 and felt it sold for a really reasonable price compared to the AU50 43-O and the AU58 1844-O. I liked this 61-C even more than the last one (which was wonderful). Congrats!
  • On another note, it is very interesting that key dates in the Fairmont hoard have been problem coins as of late. What’s with the wheel marks on the 42-C small date, the 38-D, the 38-C, the 39-D and the cleaned 39-C? The common assumption is that the Fairmont hoard is likely a tremendous European bank hoard that has been untouched for a century. Anybody have any theories why key dates are coincidentally problem coins if they were originally stored away at a time when such coins were not prized for their rarity?
  • I realized a few lots into the auction that prices were going to be softer than the “Hendricks” set.