Peculiar result at GC tonight. Same gold rattler brings incredible price tonight. — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Peculiar result at GC tonight. Same gold rattler brings incredible price tonight.

edited August 2022 in General
This same 1941 MS 65 gold rattler Mercury Dime brought almost 3 times what it went for in March 2022. Does someone need this coin badly for a gold date Merc set or are older holders increasing in value? Posted after the auction ended. Brought more than this much more attractive imho NGC OH  MS 66 coin. See below. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Old holders with gold cac are just blazing hot right now.
    I have a couple that I probably should sell but most likely won’t.
  • Definitely more collectors buying Gold Label CAC coins today than six months ago.

- Ian
  • Funny you mention this exact coin -- a friend is the one who won it (he just happened to send me a pic after he won) and I asked him, very directly, why he paid $800 for a coin that's otherwise worth $200-$300, even these days.

His answer:

"I wanted it. It's my first gold CAC. And a birthday gift from my parents, and they said I could spend up to $1000, so I decided this was the coin for me. I guess someone else wanted it too."

So....there you have it.
  • Those Gold CAC stickers carry a lot of weight in the market. In my observations thus far, they tend to bring somewhere close to price guide value for 2 grades up.
  • Silly or smart? :*
  • noahlh said:

...my parents, and they said I could spend up to $1000...

Sounds like me and my parents when I was 11, except I had saved the money up for half the year from my paper route. I wonder if he/she were to spend money he/she had worked for, if the choice of coin/holder would have been different. (I got an 1899 eagle as my first big purchase and not much later got a quarter eagle and half eagle and twenty cent piece).

• Stevie said:

This same 1941 MS 65 gold rattler Mercury Dime brought almost 3 times what it went for in March 2022. Does someone need this coin badly for a gold date Merc set or are older holders increasing in value? Posted after the auction ended. Brought more than this much more attractive imho NGC OH  MS 66 coin. See below. Any thoughts?

The one you won has a torn Holo. I know holder collectors, we are anal. Torn Holo is a deal breaker for a lot of us. Why pay good money, premium money, for plastic if a key component of that package is damaged?
  • Not buying a slab because the hologram has issues is one of the dumbest things in this hobby, and this is coming from someone who likes rare slabs.
  • Not buying a slab because the hologram has issues is one of the dumbest things in this hobby, and this is coming from someone who likes rare slabs.

I don’t care about the generation of holder a coin is in. However, for those who do, I can understand why the condition of the hologram would matter. Why is that any dumber or less important than caring about other aspects of a holder?
  • Great time to sell what I think to be generic coinage via GC. Ride the craze while it lasts.
  • MarkFeld said:

Not buying a slab because the hologram has issues is one of the dumbest things in this hobby, and this is coming from someone who likes rare slabs.

I don’t care about the generation of holder a coin is in. However, for those who do, I can understand why the condition of the hologram would matter. Why is that any dumber or less important than caring about other aspects of a holder?
    Because it doesn’t affect the integrity of the holder. So you’re right since minor chips would push away those same buyers. If the rare slab’s integrity isn’t compromised, I think it’s dumb for people to just neglect them for minor issues. Seeking out otherwise common coins in uncommon slabs is pretty smart in my opinion and also pretty enjoyable.
  • MarkFeld said:

Not buying a slab because the hologram has issues is one of the dumbest things in this hobby, and this is coming from someone who likes rare slabs.

Because it doesn’t affect the integrity of the holder. So you’re right since minor chips would push away those same buyers. If the rare slab’s integrity isn’t compromised, I think it’s dumb for people to just neglect them for minor issues. Seeking out otherwise common coins in uncommon slabs is pretty smart in my opinion and also pretty enjoyable.
    For most collectors of holders, integrity is only part of the equation. Rarity, condition and overall appearance are all very important. And yes, that was about holders, not coins. :D
  • Definitely more collectors buying Gold Label CAC coins today than six months ago, along with older-holders.

- Ian
  • Time for PCGS to resurrect the rattlers for reholder. ;) :D :D
  • Pyrite said:

Time for PCGS to resurrect the rattlers for reholder. ;) :D :D

That is probably a good Oracle Of Omaha investment tip.
  • noahlh said:

Funny you mention this exact coin -- a friend is the one who won it (he just happened to send me a pic after he won) and I asked him, very directly, why he paid $800 for a coin that's otherwise worth $200-$300, even these days.

His answer:

"I wanted it. It's my first gold CAC. And a birthday gift from my parents, and they said I could spend up to $1000, so I decided this was the coin for me. I guess someone else wanted it too."

So....there you have it.

Wow, I sure wish my parents gave $1k gifts :lol:.
  • FlyingAl said:
    Funny you mention this exact coin -- a friend is the one who won it (he just happened to send me a pic after he won) and I asked him, very directly, why he paid $800 for a coin that's otherwise worth $200-$300, even these days. His answer: "I wanted it. It's my first gold CAC. And a birthday gift from my parents, and they said I could spend up to $1000, so I decided this was the coin for me. I guess someone else wanted it too." So....there you have it.
    I agree 👍 
  • WilliamJ said:

FlyingAl said:

noahlh said:

Funny you mention this exact coin -- a friend is the one who won it (he just happened to send me a pic after he won) and I asked him, very directly, why he paid $800 for a coin that's otherwise worth $200-$300, even these days.

His answer:

So....there you have it.

I agree 👍 

You agree, as in you wish his parents gave $1000 gifts?

😉
  • Yes, I usually don't turn down gifts, no matter whom they  are from. 
       My B-day is coming up soon!
  • WilliamJ said:

Yes, I usually don't turn down gifts, no matter whom they  are from. 
       My B-day is coming up soon!

Don’t tell us, tell his parents.😄