I Completed My Standing Lib Quarter Full Head DATE Registry Set — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

I Completed My Standing Lib Quarter Full Head DATE Registry Set

edited August 2022 in General
I just completed my Standing Lib Full Head DATE set. I chose to do a DATE set so I can get coins in higher grades, since many fewer coins are needed, and I can also choose the least expensive coin for each date. I’m proud that 8 of the 14 coins have a “+” as part of the grade. I’m still on the hunt for several upgrades.

While PCGS has many “CAC Composite” Registry sets where every coin must have a CAC, they don’t offer that option for this set. But those that know me know that every coin in my set merits a CAC sticker.

Unlike most collectors, for early 20th Century silver, I prefer the eye appeal of highly lustrous coins with no toning or only slight toning. Yes, I recognize that most of these coins have previously been dipped, but apparently it was done gently enough that each coin still received a CAC sticker.

Here’s a hotlink to my Registry Set:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/standing-liberty-quarters-major-sets/standing-liberty-fh-quarters-date-set-circulation-strikes-1916-1930/publishedset/232226

Steve

Comments

• Congratulations, Steve! Amazing.

So many lovely coins; if I had to pick a favorite it would be the 1924.  Such a glorious and sharp example of the Type 2 design. 
  • That’s awesome my friend .   You have a good eye and sensible approach . 

Congratulations 👍🏻🙏🏻🤗
  • Your 1916 is gorgeous. I always sell out of 1916's at any decent price even if they are hideous or overly doctored, except the FH's in MS66 and up, where the market is very thin. They are money in the bank in all other grades, even AG and MS66 non-FH.

The only other SLQ in which I deal is the 1918/7-S. But almost every one that I have ever owned had been conserved. I suspect that a wealthy collector or dealer hoarded this date and doctored every one of them.
  • CACfan said:

Your 1916 is gorgeous. I always sell out of 1916's at any decent price even if they are hideous or overly doctored, except the FH's in MS66 and up, where the market is very thin. They are money in the bank in all other grades, even AG and MS66 non-FH.

The only other SLQ in which I deal is the 1918/7-S. But almost every one that I have ever owned had been conserved. I suspect that a wealthy collector or dealer hoarded this date and doctored every one of them.

Thanks for your kind words, and thanks to everyone else above. I'm very excited about this set (and another set, VERY unique, which I'll present in a few weeks).

Steve
  • Wow! This is the "key date" of date sets due to that first coin. Pretty awesome!
  • Very beautiful coins, I like the 1925, seems to have some extra charisma!
  • That is an absolutely incredible set! How long have you been putting it together for?
  • It is a beautiful set. I appreciate this design with and without toning.
  • Congrats on the accomplishment! Beautiful coins.
  • That is an absolutely incredible set! How long have you been putting it together for?

For decades I’ve worked on upgrading my Type Sets, which included one or two SLQ’s. However, after completing my Type Sets, I then started in 2020 putting together several different sets, including this 14 coin Standing Lib Quarter Full Head DATE set.

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Steve
  • You can now check these for varieties. There are at least five SLQ doubled dies, five clashed dies, two RPD's, three teardrop S's, one large S, one micro S, and who knows what else. Get out your microscope.

For a fee, PCGS will note the varieties on the inserts, assuming they agree with the attributions, although they will call the lesser known ones "minor". I know several dealers who get outrageously high prices for obscure varieties.
  • Thanks for your Positive suggestion. However, as one who has never had an interest in errors or minor varieties, I’m absolutely convinced that I have given away for free many thousands of dollars of excess value in my dupes that I have sold over the years.

With that said, I have bought the current edition of the Cherrypickers Guide Volume 1, and still waiting for the volume 2 to come out. Hopefully that will come out this decade.

Now all I have to do is open that volume 1 before I sell my dupes, lol.

Steve
  • I like using the NGC variety plus site. They explain and show nice pictures of all their different varieties ect... I  find it most helpful! 
      I am actually getting my SLQ's  ready to examine right now.
  • Thanks for your Positive suggestion. However, as one who has never had an interest in errors or minor varieties, I’m absolutely convinced that I have given away for free many thousands of dollars of excess value in my dupes that I have sold over the years.

With that said, I have bought the current edition of the Cherrypickers Guide Volume 1, and still waiting for the volume 2 to come out. Hopefully that will come out this decade.

Now all I have to do is open that volume 1 before I sell my dupes, lol.

Steve

There is no need to buy any books. Just visit NGC Variety Plus online. Or, pcgscoinfacts.com and click "Show Related Coins and Varieties" for each issue. Most if not all CPG varieties are listed at both sites.

Also, almost every series has an independent online list of varieties; just Google it.
  • edited September 2022
    Thanks. You are correct on each point. I previously saved the website for Indian Head Cent Varieties.

Now all I have to do is use that information, lol.

Steve
  • Thanks. You are correct on each point. I previously saved the website for Indian Head Cent Varieties.

Now all I have to do is use that information, lol.

Steve

Be careful, if you start checking for varieties you might become addicted as I have. And not just those varieties listed in the CPG. ANY variety can bring a premium, even if it is not listed on the TPG insert. And you may discover unlisted varieties, as I have.

Dealers like Brian Raines have made a living just by cherry picking varieties, obscure or not.
  • Understood, but since I don't like spending money on buying additional coins for sets I don't have, I have no fear of that.

As noted earlier, I'm absolutely convinced dealers and collectors alike have made thousands of dollars by cherrypicking my dupes that I've sold over the years.

Steve