Best EBay Coin Dealer — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Best EBay Coin Dealer

A shout-out for those who buy on eBay .   After dealing with many eBay sellers I have concluded that the best eBay seller for coins is GreenBeanCoins hands down!!! 

They consistently have the best , nicest , cleanest CAC coins available.

Green Bean Coins is also CAC member # 1 

Thats right , he was the first ever to receive membership in CAC .

I’ve had some nice dealings with them.   And every coin has exceeded expectations.

I attribute the very high level and quality of the CAC offerings to the owner being 1 of the 4 persons in what most consider the best expert graders in the world !!!      

Comments

• Bill is great.

Yes, he is a decent man .  When I spoke to him last time I asked if he took returns .  ( I had recently bought some coins elsewhere and they weren’t as advertised ).  He responded basically with - Yes , I’m not going to expect you to live with a coin you don’t like.   But I assure you that when you receive it you’re going to love it .    

He wasn’t kidding .  Every coin I got from him has been some of the nicest cleanest ones I’ve gotten anywhere ! 
  • He could use a copy of Mark Goodman's "COIN PHOTOGRAPHY" haha, although I can't honestly say my pics are any better....

• Vincent, I was very happy to come across this post. Being from New Jersey, I have had the pleasure of meeting Bill on a few occasions. I hope he will not mind if I share a couple of stories that I’m sure he would not remember but left big impressions on me.

The first was in 2008. I was about a year into my career, and with the influx of disposable income, had fairly recently found my way back to the hobby. I was mostly buying coins from eBay at the time and bought a coin from a seller from Hasbrouck Heights that recognized my address was local and told me if I wanted to save the $5 shipping, I could pick up the coin in the shop. A free $5 and a trip to a coin shop? I was sold.

I ended up picking up the coin and met Bill. He asked what I collected and I told him I was interested in toned commemoratives. “Oh, you mean like this?” He pulled out the most beautiful rainbow toned Isabella quarter I had ever and likely will ever see, MS66 in an old NGC fatty. Way out of my budget, but I loved holding it. We talked about the coin business, third party grading, his time at NGC, what I thought of CAC (still fledgling at the time), retail vs. wholesale, how to interpret pop reports and how they can be misleading, the unexpectedly low correlation between rarity and market value in certain segments of the market, anything and everything you could think of related to coins. At one point, I must have made an extremely naïve comment related to third-party graded coins and Bill said, “you don’t understand, the coin is what’s valuable.” Sensing I needed a visual aid, he grabbed a slabbed MS62 Saint and said, “see this coin? It’s an MS62. It’s worth $2,000.” Then he took a pair of pliers and cracked the slab and plucked the coin out. “This coin is MS62. It’s worth $2,000.”

We ended up talking for close to 2 hours. Eventually, he very gently informed me that he had real work to do and I should probably be going. A little embarrassed that I had taken up so much of his time and wanting to find some way to compensate him, I said, “Ok, well sell me a coin before I go.” “What kind of coin do you want?” “How about a Morgan dollar?” He brought out a few Morgans and I selected one, an 1879-S PCGS MS66 in an old green holder. “How much for this one?” “$330” “Isn’t that a little expensive for a 79-S?” For a brief moment Bill was actually speechless, shocked by my audacity, but he quickly recovered. “Well this is a premium quality coin….” Sold. Thus concluded my favorite visit to a B&M, before or since.

The second story was in early 2021. Browsing Green Bean Rare Coins’ offerings, I came across a really attractive 1876 US Centennial Expo so-called dollar (HK-20) in PCGS MS65, a pop 1/0 at PCGS. I reached out and arranged a time to come in and see the medal.

It was everything I had hoped it would be. After a brief negotiation, which Bill won quite handily, I purchased the HK-20 and again we get to talking about coins, how it’s going with CAC, etc. He shows off his latest pick-ups from @Legend 's Regency 42, including one of the nicest gold coins I’ve seen in person, an 1899 $5 in PCGS MS67+ CAC.

I also get to see a really cool British maundy set with matching toning that he refuses to sell me. I ask about the Isabella. “I know it was over a decade ago, and you’ve handled so many amazing coins over the years, it may not stand out, but do you remember that rainbow toned Isabella in MS66 you used to have?” “No, I wouldn’t be able to remember something like that. There’s just been so many coins…” He pauses, then lights up. “It was in an NGC fatty!”

This time, with a little more maturity and a little more awareness and respect for his time, I force myself to end the visit before I am kicked out.

A few weeks (not months) later, I am scrolling through eBay’s so-called dollar offerings and suddenly stop. My pop 1/0 HK-20 has become a pop 1/1. I am staring at an HK-20 in PCGS MS65+ being offered by Green Bean Rare Coins.

So, to make a long story (or rather two long stories) short:
    1. Bill is extremely knowledgeable, engaging, and generous with his time, even with small fish on smaller budgets.
    2. Bill likely has a drawer full of yet-to-be-graded top pop HK-20s that he is waiting to spring on the market at the right time.
  • Great stuff Frank! That Morgan is sweet!

Thanks for the great read...
  • Vincent, I was very happy to come across this post. Being from New Jersey, I have had the pleasure of meeting Bill on a few occasions. I hope he will not mind if I share a couple of stories that I’m sure he would not remember but left big impressions on me. The first was in 2008. I was about a year into my career, and with the influx of disposable income, had fairly recently found my way back to the hobby. I was mostly buying coins from eBay at the time and bought a coin from a seller from Hasbrouck Heights that recognized my address was local and told me if I wanted to save the $5 shipping, I could pick up the coin in the shop. A free $5 and a trip to a coin shop? I was sold. I ended up picking up the coin and met Bill. He asked what I collected and I told him I was interested in toned commemoratives. “Oh, you mean like this?” He pulled out the most beautiful rainbow toned Isabella quarter I had ever and likely will ever see, MS66 in an old NGC fatty. Way out of my budget, but I loved holding it. We talked about the coin business, third party grading, his time at NGC, what I thought of CAC (still fledgling at the time), retail vs. wholesale, how to interpret pop reports and how they can be misleading, the unexpectedly low correlation between rarity and market value in certain segments of the market, anything and everything you could think of related to coins. At one point, I must have made an extremely naïve comment related to third-party graded coins and Bill said, “you don’t understand, the coin is what’s valuable.” Sensing I needed a visual aid, he grabbed a slabbed MS62 Saint and said, “see this coin? It’s an MS62. It’s worth $2,000.” Then he took a pair of pliers and cracked the slab and plucked the coin out. “This coin is MS62. It’s worth $2,000.” We ended up talking for close to 2 hours. Eventually, he very gently informed me that he had real work to do and I should probably be going. A little embarrassed that I had taken up so much of his time and wanting to find some way to compensate him, I said, “Ok, well sell me a coin before I go.” “What kind of coin do you want?” “How about a Morgan dollar?” He brought out a few Morgans and I selected one, an 1879-S PCGS MS66 in an old green holder. “How much for this one?” “$330” “Isn’t that a little expensive for a 79-S?” For a brief moment Bill was actually speechless, shocked by my audacity, but he quickly recovered. “Well this is a premium quality coin….” Sold. Thus concluded my favorite visit to a B&M, before or since. The second story was in early 2021. Browsing Green Bean Rare Coins’ offerings, I came across a really attractive 1876 US Centennial Expo so-called dollar (HK-20) in PCGS MS65, a pop 1/0 at PCGS. I reached out and arranged a time to come in and see the medal. It was everything I had hoped it would be. After a brief negotiation, which Bill won quite handily, I purchased the HK-20 and again we get to talking about coins, how it’s going with CAC, etc. He shows off his latest pick-ups from @Legend 's Regency 42, including one of the nicest gold coins I’ve seen in person, an 1899 $5 in PCGS MS67+ CAC. I also get to see a really cool British maundy set with matching toning that he refuses to sell me. I ask about the Isabella. “I know it was over a decade ago, and you’ve handled so many amazing coins over the years, it may not stand out, but do you remember that rainbow toned Isabella in MS66 you used to have?” “No, I wouldn’t be able to remember something like that. There’s just been so many coins…” He pauses, then lights up. “It was in an NGC fatty!” This time, with a little more maturity and a little more awareness and respect for his time, I force myself to end the visit before I am kicked out. A few weeks (not months) later, I am scrolling through eBay’s so-called dollar offerings and suddenly stop. My pop 1/0 HK-20 has become a pop 1/1. I am staring at an HK-20 in PCGS MS65+ being offered by Green Bean Rare Coins. So, to make a long story (or rather two long stories) short: 1. Bill is extremely knowledgeable, engaging, and generous with his time, even with small fish on smaller budgets. 2. Bill likely has a drawer full of yet-to-be-graded top pop HK-20s that he is waiting to spring on the market at the right time.

Very cool stories , easy to read as you write well.  I love that 1899 67+.     I want it !!!! 😵‍💫🤓🙏🏻

I had a 66+ that I replaced with an 05 67 I got from Bill.   But the 99 is a better date and in 67+ It’s basically unobtainable.  There are only 2 

• Frank. Thanks for the story and the time it took to post it.
  • I've bought from them but damned if I can find their listings now.
    What's the ebay seller link?
  • Thanks, guys. It's nice to share these stories with other coin people that might appreciate them. Despite my best efforts, my wife has very politely informed me that she does not give a rat's, uh, tail.
  • Despite my best efforts, my wife has very politely informed me that she does not give a rat's, uh, tail.
    Haha same here! Kids too!
    Maybe I missed it- what’s your Insta?
    I don’t post coins on IG but I certainly enjoy looking at them!
  • edited October 2022

I am very limited on Instagram , less than 20 contacts .   Mostly family .    But I’d be happy to connect with some of you fine folks.

@savagevincent ;

• Pyrite said:

I've bought from them but damned if I can find their listings now.
    What's the ebay seller link?

Never mind. Found. >:)
  • Despite my best efforts, my wife has very politely informed me that she does not give a rat's, uh, tail.
    Haha same here! Kids too!
    Maybe I missed it- what’s your Insta?
    I don’t post coins on IG but I certainly enjoy looking at them!

Do you by chance have the page names  ?

Anyone else here welcome to respond . 

I’d like to participate with you guys .  

Thank you 

Vincent 
  •  Do you by chance have the page names  ?

Thank you 

Vincent 
    I follow Stacks, NGC, Witter, US Coins, PCGS, RCW- it’s easy once you follow them you will automatically be offered similar posts which you can elect to follow or not. Or click to see the list of who THEY follow and you can follow them as well if you wish. I follow about 100 coin related accounts, and I have actually purchased two coins from posts I have seen on IG.
  • catberts_coins
  •  Do you by chance have the page names  ?

Thank you 

Vincent 
    I follow Stacks, NGC, Witter, US Coins, PCGS, RCW- it’s easy once you follow them you will automatically be offered similar posts which you can elect to follow or not. Or click to see the list of who THEY follow and you can follow them as well if you wish. I follow about 100 coin related accounts, and I have actually purchased two coins from posts I have seen on IG.

Ok great .  Thank you FFL

catbert - 👍🏻😉
  • I am frankkaterc on instagram. I don't sell on there, just sharing some of my collection once in a while for entertainment.
  • I am frankkaterc on instagram. I don't sell on there, just sharing some of my collection once in a while for entertainment.
    That’s awesome- nice coins!

We’re connected now Frank on Instagram.  👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻