UPDATED FOLLOW UP FROM JA!! Bay Bridge back from CAC — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

UPDATED FOLLOW UP FROM JA!! Bay Bridge back from CAC

edited September 2022 in Grading

After speaking with JA today he was nice enough to give me his feedback on the coin. He said this coin has a multitude of very light hairlines from mishandling or slight pocket wear perhaps. Maybe he was thinking gold before he rotated the coin and saw the hairlines as I just noticed GOl on a white label in the upper right corner of the holder. . He kindly gave me permission to post these pictures for everyone’s educational information. Anyway I am very happy with the coin as the hairlines don’t distract at all from the in hand look of the coin. Perhaps I will upgrade to a better coin in the future, but I have a very nice  63 that I feel visually compares to some higher graded coins I see online. It is a great learning experience. Thanks again JA for your time. 
Coin first in my light as seen by my eyes.

Comments

• I give you credit for posting the outcome. I think your expectation of a gold sticker was wildly over confident. Cheers to your willingness to learn from the experience.
  • Just consider it a good learning opportunity at a very reasonable cost. The coins I sent that didn’t bean are what drove increased beans in subsequent submissions. Best education for the price in the hobby. 
  • Follow-up? Stevie?
  • edited September 2022
    Follow-up? Stevie?
    Check this out right now after speaking with JA. Just updated 
  • Stevie said:

Follow-up? Stevie?

Check this out right now after speaking with JA. Just updated 

Do you have a good dedicated grading light right now?

If not, I'd suggest you get one. A lotta old timers use incadescents, but I swear by LED's or CFL. Incadescents just drive me too nuts because there's no range in the light, it's all so flat. Actually, for a quick and dirty solution, I use these Ikea lights as my backups for when I have somebody looking at material that doesn't like incadescents.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/harte-led-work-lamp-black-silver-color-30266989/

Does the job just fine. I'll stop handing out unsolicited advice now, sorry!
  • Actually, I will try it, thank you. I have been meaning to get a good light!
  • I highly recommend using a good grading light as well. I use a 1000 Lumens 2700 Kelvin LED bulb in an articulating desk lamp, that I mounted to the wall behind my main monitor. It shows every hairline that may be hiding on a coin. I use it to examine every new purchase. It has helped me catch quite a few coins that looked good under other lights at the coin shop, but when I looked at them at home, wow...
  • i don't often provide advice here, but fwiw .. i have been experimenting with many different light sources for me to view my own coins

although i have studied some good options over the past few years, my current suggestion for an interesting light to begin your own examination is the following:

RGBWW color-mixing LED light bulb with 20KHz stepless dimming
    Color Temperature 2,000K - 10,000K
    CRI 95+ (2,500 - 10,000K)
    TLCI 96+ (2,500 - 10,000K)
    CQS 95+
    SSI (Tungsten) 85
    SSI (D56) 74
    Lumens 570
    Lamp Socket Type E26/E27
    Control Methods On-board Controls, Sidus Link App
    Wireless Connectivity Bluetooth Mesh

it has been an interesting discovery for me to see how light-emitting diodes may be methodologically / programmatically controlled (with features to match nearly any white light source) to produce the best natural conditions of electromagnetic rays for viewing my coins

• If you want to know specifically what I use myself, not my cheap backup, this is my grading light. I find the varying brightness ability to be quite handy when something seems to be hiding but doesn't pop initially. When you look at coins all day, it's important to reduce stress on your eyes so thats a part of why I chose this light as well.

https://products.ottlite.com/p-491-the-slide.aspx

Unfortunately they seem to be discontinued so good luck finding this specific one. I have two and will hold onto 'em for as long as I can lol.
  • jtlee321 said:

I highly recommend using a good grading light as well. I use a 1000 Lumens 2700 Kelvin LED bulb in an articulating desk lamp, that I mounted to the wall behind my main monitor. It shows every hairline that may be hiding on a coin. I use it to examine every new purchase. It has helped me catch quite a few coins that looked good under other lights at the coin shop, but when I looked at them at home, wow...

But how do you get your copper-toned Buffalo nickels to look so golden in your photos?
  • Looks like I am going shopping for a light.
    Thanks everyone 
  • edited September 2022
    A candle should be enough.

Probably best to light it, though.

:p
  • Just as long as I can tell gold from silver.
  • WilliamJ said:
    Looks like I am going shopping for a light.
    Thanks everyone 

I love my Tensor Lamp .   It’s the only way to really see the coin properly. 

•  I love my Tensor Lamp .   It’s the only way to really see the coin properly. 
    Looks like a nice light, thank you my friend.
    I have a few $10 Indians to look at a bit closer once I figure out what light to buy.🙂

I wonder what type of light JA and the CAC crew use?   Incandescent or LED?

• A regular 75w frosted bulb. The key is keeping the room dark ..black out shades….
  • JACAC said:

A regular 75w frosted bulb. The key is keeping the room dark ..black out shades….

this is good advice for us to follow .. more simple than my controlled parameters for sure

thank you so much!
  • JACAC said:

A regular 75w frosted bulb. The key is keeping the room dark ..black out shades….

this is good advice for us to follow .. more simple than my controlled parameters for sure

thank you so much!
    PCGS graders use a 75W or 100W frosted incandescent bulb in an otherwise dark room. Why not look at coins the way that graders do?
  • JACAC said:
    Thanks for the knowledge. I have noticed lighting can really help when looking at coins.
  • CACfan said:

PCGS graders use a 75W or 100W frosted incandescent bulb in an otherwise dark room. Why not look at coins the way that graders do?
    If it is good enough for them, then it ought to be good enough for me.