CAC Pricing Discussion - Page 7 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC Pricing Discussion

Comments

• nalmeter said:

John,
    I was curious about the 1818 Bust Half AU55 CAC (or even perhaps the series); since I am bringing up a relatively generic date. I was looking at auction history and PCGS price guide history; 6-9 years ago CAC auction results were above PCGS price guide values (which I would expect - auctions for CAC pieces $1400-$1600; however now there is quite a LONG lag. PCGS price guide value for an AU55 has been relatively flat around $1000-$1150 (for nearly 10 years) but has surged higher in the past 18 months to $1350; however greysheet CAC pricing has dropped or remained the same ~$1100. Perhaps the 6-9 year ago CAC auction prices would now reflect current CAC values? Thoughts?
    I may do a similar look at the capped bust quarters and dimes....
    Best regards,
    Nick

Thanks for the head's up. I just reviewed the 1818 and adjusted CAC values across the board on many issues.
  • John,
    Another date is the 1847 Seated Half Dollar. This date is somewhat generic however, I was looking at PCGS sales and pricing trend and one thing that really sticks out is the last 4 auctions for PCGS halves were $700-$850 price range. I could not find too many CAC approved sales recently; a 2013 CAC sale was $764. PCGS price guide for non-cac is $750. Greysheet is still at $500. Not sure this would warrant an adjustment. What are your thoughts?
    Best regards,
    Nick
  • nalmeter said:

John,
    Another date is the 1847 Seated Half Dollar. This date is somewhat generic however, I was looking at PCGS sales and pricing trend and one thing that really sticks out is the last 4 auctions for PCGS halves were $700-$850 price range. I could not find too many CAC approved sales recently; a 2013 CAC sale was $764. PCGS price guide for non-cac is $750. Greysheet is still at $500. Not sure this would warrant an adjustment. What are your thoughts?
    Best regards,
    Nick

Thank you for drawing our attention to this. I have updated 1847 in all grades. New prices will take a few hours to appear on the CAC site.

John
  • edited April 2022
    JF,

Belated THANK YOU for taking a look at the 1849O half dime. Your comments about rarity and market dynamics are being played out in real time. I just posted on another CAC thread about the overheated market a note on the 1857O au58+ 50c that sold at Stacks for $4,000+. Wild, really. You may need to update the prices from the Abigail Seated Liberty Half sale, unless they are considered wild outliers…of course, high prices can always be reduced later….

Here’s an interesting coin for you to ponder. It’s the 1829 capped bust Dime EXTRA LARGE 10c. As you know, there are several Red Book varieties of the 1829 10c, and the CAC guide recognizes many of them: SMALL 10c, MEDIUM 10c, CURL BASE 2, LARGE 10c. However, it mysteriously does not list the EXTRA LARGE 10c.

Perhaps it’s due to rarity? According to the Bust Dime Variety Attribution Guide, it is an R4. And, the guide further notes “This is a tough die marriage to find in EF or better grade and is especially difficult to find in AU and MS.”

But not impossible! David Sunshine Rare Coins, a noted dealer in dimes (and son of Barry) recently posted this:

“An attractive Mint State example of this extremely difficult Bust dime Redbook variety. The 1829 Extra Large 10c dime is an underrated Redbook issue with only a few coins graded in Mint State. This piece is one of the finest known for the variety and has good eye appeal with pretty color for the grade. Most of the remaining Mint State and AU pieces are locked up in major collections. A special opportunity for the advanced Bust dime Redbook collector. CAC approved.” The list price was $3750.

PCGS coin facts recognizes the variety, and states: “Gordon Wrubel: PCGS has added another interesting reverse variety to this date: Extra Large 10C. This reverse is found only on the very first die pair of 1829, JR-1. It uses a reverse die of 1828 which is very distinctive and easily recognized. The "10" is VERY LARGE,almost completely filling the space between the eagle and the rim. Other characteristics of the die include small denticles with double denticles over "U" and between "AT". The period after the 10C is normal in size,unlike the huge period found on the "Large 10C" variety which is only found on JR-2. This variety is very scarce.”

Great Collections has 4 1829 EXTRA LARGE 10c specimens in their archives (but none stickered…)

I bet HA has sold a few over the years but I can’t easily figure out how to find archived information on the HA website….I’m sure you can.

I suspect you don’t yearn for yet another entry into the CAC price guide, but please consider adding the 1829 EXTRA LARGE 10c to fill out the Red Book/PCGS ranks.

Regards

• JF,

Here’s an interesting coin for you to ponder. It’s the 1829 capped bust Dime EXTRA LARGE 10c. As you know, there are several Red Book varieties of the 1829 10c, and the CAC guide recognizes many of them: SMALL 10c, MEDIUM 10c, CURL BASE 2, LARGE 10c. However, it mysteriously does not list the EXTRA LARGE 10c.

Perhaps it’s due to rarity? According to the Bust Dime Variety Attribution Guide, it is an R4. And, the guide further notes “This is a tough die marriage to find in EF or better grade and is especially difficult to find in AU and MS.”

But not impossible! David Sunshine Rare Coins, a noted dealer in dimes (and son of Barry) recently posted this:

“An attractive Mint State example of this extremely difficult Bust dime Redbook variety. The 1829 Extra Large 10c dime is an underrated Redbook issue with only a few coins graded in Mint State. This piece is one of the finest known for the variety and has good eye appeal with pretty color for the grade. Most of the remaining Mint State and AU pieces are locked up in major collections. A special opportunity for the advanced Bust dime Redbook collector. CAC approved.” The list price was $3750.

PCGS coin facts recognizes the variety, and states: “Gordon Wrubel: PCGS has added another interesting reverse variety to this date: Extra Large 10C. This reverse is found only on the very first die pair of 1829, JR-1. It uses a reverse die of 1828 which is very distinctive and easily recognized. The "10" is VERY LARGE,almost completely filling the space between the eagle and the rim. Other characteristics of the die include small denticles with double denticles over "U" and between "AT". The period after the 10C is normal in size,unlike the huge period found on the "Large 10C" variety which is only found on JR-2. This variety is very scarce.”

Great Collections has 4 1829 EXTRA LARGE 10c specimens in their archives (but none stickered…)

I bet HA has sold a few over the years but I can’t easily figure out how to find archived information on the HA website….I’m sure you can.

I suspect you don’t yearn for yet another entry into the CAC price guide, but please consider adding the 1829 EXTRA LARGE 10c to fill out the Red Book/PCGS ranks.

Regards

I have added the XL 10C variety to our pricing guide. From what I see values are quite similar to the Large 10C but we will continue to keep an eye on it. FYI, you didn't specify the grade of David Sunshine's coin.

Thank you as always!
    John
  • JF,

Belated THANK YOU for taking a look at the 1849O half dime. Your comments about rarity and market dynamics are being played out in real time. I just posted on another CAC thread about the overheated market a note on the 1857O au58+ 50c that sold at Stacks for $4,000+. Wild, really. You may need to update the prices from the Abigail Seated Liberty Half sale, unless they are considered wild outliers…of course, high prices can always be reduced later….

Beware of the AU58+ CAC coins that sell for moon money. My concern is they are being chased up by the Everyman Registry sets which prize this grade point. Should an AU58+ be worth more than an MS63 coin?
  • JF... I would say it depends coin to coin but as a general rule I tend to say yes... many times, a 58+ CAC will look a lot nicer than a 63.

JF,

Beware of the AU58+ CAC coins that sell for moon money. My concern is they are being chased up by the Everyman Registry sets which prize this grade point. Should an AU58+ be worth more than an MS63 coin?
  • Hi John,
    Please look at Proof 1833 and 1834 half cents particularly in grades 64 to 66. The CAC populations are very similar with there being a few more 1833’s with approval in brown but the 1834 values are significantly lower. Really appreciate your participation in this forum. Thank you Coinbert
  • Hey, John. Are Fugios on the docket to have their pricing reviewed? There’s been a couple auctions recently at Stacks and Heritage where many sold. I think just updating pricing for the “States United, 4 Cinquefoils, Pointed Rays” variety would be a good starting point and give everyone a good baseline to look at without having to try to do all the other varieties. Thanks for your consideration!
  • Coinbert said:

Hi John,
    Please look at Proof 1833 and 1834 half cents particularly in grades 64 to 66. The CAC populations are very similar with there being a few more 1833’s with approval in brown but the 1834 values are significantly lower. Really appreciate your participation in this forum. Thank you Coinbert

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I just reviewed this and the other Classic head proofs. Please let me know as you see anything else worthy of review.

John
  • edited April 2022
    @johnFeigenbaum Just wishing you luck integrating Fairmont prices where nothing meaningful has appeared in ages. :'(

Is there another member here who can define what a SWAG might be?

• I agree @ptolemyII. I’m waiting to see Liberty coinage of all denominations see an increase to amounts seen at recent auctions. Many dates have not moved in years. 
  • ptolemyII said:

@johnFeigenbaum Just wishing you luck integrating Fairmont prices where nothing meaningful has appeared in ages. :'(

Is there another member here who can define what a SWAG might be?

I look forward to reviewing the Fairmont results as well! We are awaiting the final data from Stack's Bowers before we can fully review. They prefer to send us the data when sales and deliveries have been finalized, which is wise.

Best,
    John
  • Hey, John. Are Fugios on the docket to have their pricing reviewed? There’s been a couple auctions recently at Stacks and Heritage where many sold. I think just updating pricing for the “States United, 4 Cinquefoils, Pointed Rays” variety would be a good starting point and give everyone a good baseline to look at without having to try to do all the other varieties. Thanks for your consideration!

These are updated. Thank you!
  • @johnFeigenbaum silver classic commems in both non-CAC and CAC need review -- the market is consistently above Greysheet at a wholesale level across the board. I've been wholesaling certified commems to market makers at 20% give or take a bit over sheet for the past few months, the only exception being BTWs and Wash-Carvers.
  • vamsplus said:

@johnFeigenbaum silver classic commems in both non-CAC and CAC need review -- the market is consistently above Greysheet at a wholesale level across the board. I've been wholesaling certified commems to market makers at 20% give or take a bit over sheet for the past few months, the only exception being BTWs and Wash-Carvers.

We will review these. Currently working on Liberty gold post-Fairmont. $20 Libs done. Reviewing $10 Libs now. For those interested, you can watch progress. We've done 1838-1849 issue so far in the Eagles.
  • How you will compare price of challenge coins with money coin ?
    share idea please !
  • sofiava1 said:
    How you will compare price of challenge coins with money coin ? share idea please !
    That is a good question? I  think your money coin is more straight forward within the price guides and auction results. However the challenge coins are much tougher to determine. Sometimes they depend upon the challenge?
  • edited July 2022
    @johnFeigenbaum - For the 1880 Indian Head Cent graded MS66RB, the CAC Price Report has it at $1,200 (CAC Pop = 5). The PCGS Price Guide has that at $4,600.

My research on the PCGS Auction Prices Realized have the three most recent sales (regardless of TPG or CAC) as 8/2019 at $3,360, 2/2021 at $5,053, and 4/2021 at $4,230. All three sales were for different coins, and all three happen to be graded by PCGS, and each has a CAC. The PCGS pop in this grade is tiny, with only 6, and one more at 66+RB, so this recent sample of three sales is surprisingly large considering the small pop.

I was not the buyer in any of those sales. I bought mine privately earlier this year for $4,500.

Your thoughts on adjusting the price guide for this grade?

Steve