At Auction, Which Adds a Bigger Premium, a CAC Bean or a PCGS Plus? - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

At Auction, Which Adds a Bigger Premium, a CAC Bean or a PCGS Plus?

Comments

• Stevie, actually that is NOT the case for "The Market", even though it may be the case for you (and me).

1. There are countless coins that sell in the six figures and higher that do NOT have CAC stickers (like you, I will only buy "expensive" coins if they merit a CAC sticker. But expensive to me is four figures, and very low five figures). As noted though, these super high grade/rare six figure coins without CAC stickers are indeed often accepted by knowledgeable collectors!
    2. Just take a look at a few PCGS Price Guide figures (whole grade and also with pluses), along with CAC Market Report figures for whole grades, and actual coin sales, and you'll see my point happens all of the time.
  • Stevie said:

As I noted in my initial reply to this post, the answer is really grade dependent. As I indicated, as a generalization, with lower grades, a coin in a whole grade with a CAC can often be valued higher than the plus grade without a CAC, but in higher grades, quite often the plus grade without a CAC sticker will be valued higher than a coin in just the whole grade with a CAC.

Steve

I am not sure this makes sense as higher graded coins are expensive and the buyer needs to be assured of the technical quality and lack of problems like putty pvc surface issues etc. A plus grade is just an opinion of its ranking for the grade and can be more subjective. CAC sticker is already saying the coin is solid or high for the grade. If I am buying a $20,000 coin CAC is a must, a plus is an add on for me. 

It's often reality, despite what you might think. Some buyers need far less assurance than others and many are comfortable making their own judgments.
  • Stevie, actually that is NOT the case for "The Market", even though it may be the case for you (and me). 1. There are countless coins that sell in the six figures and higher that do NOT have CAC stickers (like you, I will only buy "expensive" coins if they merit a CAC sticker. But expensive to me is four figures, and very low five figures). As noted though, these super high grade/rare six figure coins without CAC stickers are indeed often accepted by knowledgeable collectors! 2. Just take a look at a few PCGS Price Guide figures (whole grade and also with pluses), along with CAC Market Report figures for whole grades, and actual coin sales, and you'll see my point happens all of the time.
    Yes I understand you and me are different in that we want the CAC sticker. Many expensive coins are sold all the time without CAC Stickers for strong prices. I would argue in my humble opinion CAC is more valuable than a plus, and given a choice I would always buy the coin with CAC over the  plus.  
  • edited September 2022
    And I seek out (or make) coins WITH a Plus AND a CAC, lol.
  • edited September 2022
    Stevie said:

Stevie, actually that is NOT the case for "The Market", even though it may be the case for you (and me).

1. There are countless coins that sell in the six figures and higher that do NOT have CAC stickers (like you, I will only buy "expensive" coins if they merit a CAC sticker. But expensive to me is four figures, and very low five figures). As noted though, these super high grade/rare six figure coins without CAC stickers are indeed often accepted by knowledgeable collectors!
    2. Just take a look at a few PCGS Price Guide figures (whole grade and also with pluses), along with CAC Market Report figures for whole grades, and actual coin sales, and you'll see my point happens all of the time.

“Yes I understand you and me are different in that we want the CAC sticker. Many expensive coins are sold all the time without CAC Stickers for strong prices. I would argue in my humble opinion CAC is more valuable than a plus, and given a choice I would always buy the coin with CAC over the  plus.  “

You’d argue that because you apparently have tunnel-vision.
  • This one has both. Plus and CAC.

I still wonder at the 63 grade. Of course, it does have that ...scrape... on the reverse. :(

I wanted a proof gold and bigger than the quarter eagles that seem to always be available.
    I looked at a BUNCH of 64s and this 63 won out by virtue of VERY minimal hairlines.
    Hairlines on 64s bothered me far more.

I speculate that the "pop" this one has is what garnered the plus.

:)
  • Having both (IMO) is the best of both worlds, even though the CAC indicates it's solid as a PR63 and as a DCAM.

Great coin, very special!

Steve
  • I am happy to have plus on this coin but the CAC approval is way more valuable IMO.
  • Agreed, but they are BOTH valuable, both financially and psychologically.

That's quite a phenomenal coin!

Steve
  • I am happy to have plus on this coin but the CAC approval is way more valuable IMO.
    Wow that is an amazing piece- love it!
    Thanks. It used to be in an NGC 63* non-CAC. The coin was always nice. It’s ex Whitney. I took the chance to down cross and got lucky on the plus and was thrilled it stickered.
  • Obviously the coin spoke out, as it warranted both the CAC sticker and the plus!

Enjoy that treasure!!!!!

Steve
  • edited September 2022
    I am happy to have plus on this coin but the CAC approval is way more valuable IMO.
    Thanks. It used to be in an NGC 63* non-CAC. The coin was always nice. It’s ex Whitney. I took the chance to down cross and got lucky on the plus and was thrilled it stickered.
    I had to peep the TV (and I encourage you to make the set public- would love to see it):

• Here’s another with + and CAC

Now see? That is a phantom coin. Nowhere does one exist. :D

nice!
  • I really like CAC stickers on 58+ gold coins  

• I really like CAC stickers on 58+ gold coins  

Beautiful!
  • edited September 2022
    Here’s my AU58+ with CAC:

Steve
  • Since I personally believe that the + is bs, I will go with the sticks all day long imho.