Just one gold coin? - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Just one gold coin?

Comments

• A 1910 $20 Proof would be nice :smile:
  • edited September 2022
    I would just love to have ANY ONE of @FloridaFacelifter ’s high grade Proof gold coins.

The problem is, I’d never get any work done, or even partake in my coin forums, as I’d be staring continually at that perfect treasure all day long, every day!

Steve
  • I would just love to have ANY ONE of @FloridaFacelifter ’s high grade Proof gold coins. The problem is, I’d never get any work done, or even partake in my coin forums, as I’d be staring continually at that perfect treasure all day along, every day! Steve
    Haha thanks- I must admit I do like to bring them out and line them up!

• I would just love to have ANY ONE of @FloridaFacelifter ’s high grade Proof gold coins.

The problem is, I’d never get any work done, or even partake in my coin forums, as I’d be staring continually at that perfect treasure all day along, every day!

Steve

Haha thanks- I must admit I do like to bring them out and line them up!

The next time you do this, PLEASE take a picture and post it on the forums. That would be so cool to see. I must admit I selfishly want to see those coins too :lol:.
  • John,

I will try to be more clear for you and our foreign posters. Don't sell yourself short. Everyone here is important. Furthermore, you EDUCATED me and others about the aureus. IMO, that certainly qualifies you to give lessons as a valuable and informed member who knows how to research a topic on the Internet.

I see no BS from you or others here. Trust me when I write that I'm being very careful about my personal opinions and how I treat other forum members so as not to appear abrasive. I don't wish to upset any folks here who may be extremely sensitive with low self esteem. The forum rules should be clear about personal issues in order to keep the forum devoted to numismatics.

Do you have a gold coin you would pick? Do you agree with any already picked?

• Insider3 said:

John,

I will try to be more clear for you and our foreign posters. Don't sell yourself short. Everyone here is important. Furthermore, you EDUCATED me and others about the aureus. IMO, that certainly qualifies you to give lessons as a valuable and informed member who knows how to research a topic on the Internet.

I see no BS from you or others here. Trust me when I write that I'm being very careful about my personal opinions and how I treat other forum members so as not to appear abrasive. I don't wish to upset any folks here who may be extremely sensitive with low self esteem. The forum rules should be clear about personal issues in order to keep the forum devoted to numismatics.

Do you have a gold coin you would pick? Do you agree with any already picked?

What foreign posters? And were you an NGC or PCGS grader? A finalizer?
  • Sigh...

The members here who are challenged by the English language and its comprehension MAY be citizens of another country. There are many of these folks on the other forums where I post.

I'll be happy to reveal my identity to anyone who is too lazy to look. However, why don't you go first? You have a lot to say in most threads. Are you a collector or dealer? For how long? Never mind my last question. In my experience, many successful, long time dealers and collectors don't know much at all.
  • Insider3 said:

Sigh...

The members here who are challenged by the English language and its comprehension MAY be citizens of another country. There are many of these folks on the other forums where I post.

I'll be happy to reveal my identity to anyone who is too lazy to look. However, why don't you go first? You have a lot to say in most threads. Are you a collector or dealer? For how long? Never mind my last question. In my experience, many successful, long time dealers and collectors don't know much at all.

I am often challenged by the English language yet definitely not a foreigner. Its rules are not always logical, unlike mathematics.

Nobody asked you to reveal your identity; I just want to know whether or not you were a finalizer. You were not, judging by your answer.

All insiders would agree that "many successful, longtime dealers do not know much at all". I know some who cannot even spot blatant doctoring. I know a famous dealer who significantly contributed to a major grading book yet, as insiders know, cannot grade better than the average collector.

Ironically, many TPG graders are expert graders but "do not know much at all" about running a business, hence their chosen professions.

I will not expose my identity lest I become vulnerable to frivolous lawsuits and the expenses/aggravation associated with them.
  • CACfan said:

I am often challenged by the English language yet definitely not a foreigner. Its rules are not always logical, unlike mathematics.

Nobody asked you to reveal your identity; I just want to know whether or not you were a finalizer. You were not, judging by your answer.

All insiders would agree that "many successful, longtime dealers do not know much at all". I know some who cannot even spot blatant doctoring. I know a famous dealer who significantly contributed to a major grading book yet, as insiders know, cannot grade better than the average collector.

Ironically, many TPG graders are expert graders but "do not know much at all" about running a business, hence their chosen professions.

I will not expose my identity lest I become vulnerable to frivolous lawsuits and the expenses/aggravation associated with them.

You are correct. I've never been a finalizer; nevertheless, I've had the "power" to change anything going out EXCEPT when employed by one company.

BTW, I agree with the rest of your post; however I don't understand why you cannot answer a simple question: dealer or collector. A while back. I posted a small part of my bio at the request of another member.

With the slab market we have today, any successful business person or conman with great people skills has the ability to be a top coin dealer. I took the much easier path of ease. I get to hold things most couldn't afford except when viewing auction lots.

• Insider3 said:

CACfan said:

You are correct. I've never been a finalizer; nevertheless, I've had the "power" to change anything going out EXCEPT when employed by one company.

BTW, I agree with the rest of your post; however I don't understand why you cannot answer a simple question: dealer or collector. A while back. I posted a small part of my bio at the request of another member.

With the slab market we have today, any successful business person or conman with great people skills has the ability to be a top coin dealer. I took the much easier path of ease. I get to hold things most couldn't afford except when viewing auction lots.

It does not matter at all but I have been a retail dealer of rare and unusual vintage coins since I was a preteen. No painfully common modern coins will ever be in my stockroom because I have a conscience (I do not support a market wherein an item can be bought for 25 cents, entombed in a plastic slab for $5, and sold for hundreds if not thousands of dollars). My opinion of any dealer who sells this dreck goes down the drain.
  • Thanks, it does matter to me. If I were in charge of a coin forum everyone would need to tell their age, what they collect, and if they made a living dealing in coins. I would also want to know If they had any special expertise or training, and how long they have been involved with coins. All this would be helpfull to forum members.

I have special regard for the members who identify themselves. When certain of them post, I read and learn. Their posts carry more weight than any of the sighing, "want-a-be-posters" taking up space while looking for something to do who might join a forum as this in the future Can you understand the excitement a collector would have knowing he/she was chatting with - let's say an Eric Newman about a coin? Anyway CAC, it is my pleasure posting with you and most others here.
  • Eric Newman died in 2017 at age 106. I doubt that there is any chance that he is posting hereon unless there is a numismatic ghost whisperer posting for him. But given that JA is the definitive authority about grading, I would rather read his posts than anyone else's.
  • I would love to have a perfect 1907 Ultra High Relief Proof $20.00 St. Gaudens Double Eagle. I'd be very happy with that.
  • CACfan said:

Eric Newman died in 2017 at age 106. I doubt that there is any chance that he is posting hereon unless there is a numismatic ghost whisperer posting for him. But given that JA is the definitive authority about grading, I would rather read his posts than anyone else's.

Sigh...Sadly, anyone who does not know tht Mr. Newman is dead might be out of the loop. Others may understand that sometimes dead people are used as examples so as not to leave out knowledgeable members here who would get the same respect as someone of Mr. Newman's stature. I agree with you that JA is the obvious example I could have used but I'm not one to suck up folks above my expertise. That's why I picked Mr. Newman in my post and not JA.

• Insider3 said:

CACfan said:

Eric Newman died in 2017 at age 106. I doubt that there is any chance that he is posting hereon unless there is a numismatic ghost whisperer posting for him. But given that JA is the definitive authority about grading, I would rather read his posts than anyone else's.

Sigh...Sadly, anyone who does not know tht Mr. Newman is dead might be out of the loop. Others may understand that sometimes dead people are used as examples so as not to leave out knowledgeable members here who would get the same respect as someone of Mr. Newman's stature. I agree with you that JA is the obvious example I could have used but I'm not one to suck up folks above my expertise. That's why I picked Mr. Newman in my post and not JA.

Okay, CAC Forums must add a new rule: posters cannot have a dry sense of humor. Got it!
  • Not sure what it’s value is but without thinking of monetary value the coin I would like to have is the SS Central America Super Nova Double Eagle .  
  • edited September 2022
    jtlee321 said:

I would love to have a perfect 1907 Ultra High Relief Proof $20.00 St. Gaudens Double Eagle. I'd be very happy with that.

If you do not have the $2.5 million to spend on the cheapest Ultra, you can settle for a normal NGC proof that neither PCGS nor CAC will even call a proof. I have bought and sold them but frankly they just look like well-struck business strikes with die polishing lines. I could not find any official documentation that supports their proof status.

Can JA offer an opinion about these NGC proofs? Does he think that these are not proofs at all or are all of them low-end and thus not CAC-worthy?
  • Easy, 1861S Paquet Double Eagle. If for some reason that wasn't available, like @FloridaFacelifter scooped it up before I could lol, I'd settle for the 1866S No Motto Double Eagle.
  • edited June 2023
    I have a few, its hard to choose

- 1855 Kellogg $50 Proof
    - 1795 Draped $10 (200 years prior to my birth)
    - Any proof DCAM $20 Lib- something like @FloridaFacelifter's 1866 and 1870 come to mind, though id take the 1849 example at the Smithsonian, any other Type 1 proof, and if it were a type 3 id like 1895 as its 100 years preceding my birth
    (edit) - Dont know how I forgot about this one, but the an 1804 Proof $10